WIP: Visual Pinball in Unity (2021 Edition)

On 2/15/2022 at 10:16 AM, freezy said:

Okay... so what do you want me to do?

Very simple, have respect for an author!!

did you use my version or Rowlan?

what I want, and ask is... to have respect, and ask permission from an author before doing what you/prural(all) want,

I always ask for permission, when I recreate a table from VPX to FP, as I did with JPsalas,and with others in VPforum.

as I also did with "Rom"a friend of mine,on Gopinball site!

in this site, I have published two of my tables, (you have not seen them) and in this site the administrator has informed about the fake site of "vpd" that steals the tables of others without permission, and publishes them on his site.

then let's try to stay in this policy!!

Edited by wild75

Trying to figure out why you're so much upset. It's just a video. Is it because Rowlan didn't mention you, but only Javier? ROM isn't mentioned either.. To be honest, for a video that doesn't offer any gameplay whatsoever and just shows off the geometry and textures, crediting the last author seems fine to me. But if you don't agree, take it up with @Rowlan please.

29 minutes ago, freezy said:

Trying to figure out why you're so much upset.

because @ javier1515, he used my version of FP, and remade it for vpx, without my permission

35 minutes ago, freezy said:

It's just a video. Is it because Rowlan didn't mention you, but only Javier? ROM isn't mentioned either..

Yah....I see....and this is for me it is disrespect, towards me and Rom.

37 minutes ago, freezy said:

crediting the last author seems fine to me

which author? @ javier1515????? really.....

that table was created for FP, first by "Rom" and then by me,for me javier 1515, he just stole it, if he does not ask for permission, and I repeat that version that Rowlan used for his video, it is my version made in Italian, with many additions, including some 3d models, which I have lost many days to do.

11 minutes ago, freezy said:

Please take your beef elsewhere then. This has nothing to do with VPE.

what beef are you talking about ??? I just exposed one fact, that now the vpx version stolen from my FP,now is used for something else.

that video of the table, it wasn't done with VPE?

With that logic you should go to the VPX developers complaining about the "stolen version" being done in VPX. I can't control what people do. Please stop posting in this thread, as it has nothing to do with the topic. The 70+ people subscribed to it will appreciate it.

As an author of well over a dozen tables I realize that I have two options.  Either post the table and have it get stolen, misused, bundled for sale by some cab maker or don't release it.  It sucks but that's the reality and it happens to all of us authors. 

Please don't use this post to rant against this injustice.  Many of us who subscribe to this post just want to see how VPE is progressing so that we can start making tables for it.

@wild75

If you were a real pinball fan, instead of making a fuss here for no reason, you'd be glad that someone was working on a platform that would take digital pinball emulation to the next level. And the fact that someone just used your table did it only for demonstration purposes to show the possibilities of VPE and not to intentionally steal your work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Wow....wow...wow...

That is absolutely incredible. Gives me chills just looking at it..So exciting, the leaps in technology, and the things to come...saying "Great job gang"...just doesnt seem to be enough..I'm just blown away.  🙂

The VPE render is sharper than the real photo, gonna have to build in some 'tired eyes' filters if you want more realism... maybe a 'beer goggles' filter as well to simulate playing pinball after a heavy session 🙂

seriously though, I'm super excited for VPE, the work you guys are putting in is tremendous and very much appreciated

17 hours ago, freezy said:

So, @Pandeli is working on matching VPE lighting with real-world lighting.. And the results are pretty spectacular if you ask me! :)

Left is a screenshot from VPE, and on the right side a shot of the same machine with the same lighting conditions in the real world (courtesy of @jsm174)

image.thumb.png.a9e13de445a4ebd942e6650b5f35ee44.png

Can somebody please give a brief explanation of what is meant by real-world lighting as it relates to simulation in vpe? How does this differ from vpx lighting (besides raytracing)? 

Thanks.

• Content Provider

VPX basically has no "real" rendered lighting (except light probes on the ball and some metals, maybe ). It does have nice glow effects though used on inserts,etc.

It relies on textures for lights. Things like light flares... and swapping texture images with the illusion of light shown on them (that many authors pre-rendered table models built in Blender).

So the tables you see from guys like flupper, Bord, VPW, etc look so stunning because those guys became great Blender artists and figured out how to make their table models in Blender... pre-render it all... then export all the uvwrapped textures,etc back to VPX. It's a huge amount of work that relies on talent... and dedication... and time.

VPE has real rendered lighting that affects all objects / surfaces within 3d space. So no need for pre-baking... its all real-time and rendered. No extra work needed from the authors... and it looks much nicer.

25 minutes ago, xoller said:

Can somebody please give a brief explanation of what is meant by real-world lighting as it relates to simulation in vpe? How does this differ from vpx lighting (besides raytracing)? 

Thanks.

It is worded "matching VPE with real-world lighting" as in compared to. So real world lighting in this context is not a technique- but the actual lights as seen in the real world. I can see the confusion here (not sure if you are a native speaker- but in some languages this sentence "with" could also be translated to "by using", so this might apply to you as well).

Thank you for the responses. This helps answer a question I have thought of for a while now on what is holding back virtual pinball form looking completely life-like.

So the simulation of the lighting of a real pinball machine is further perfected by matching the magnitude of the intensity or brilliance of each light source on the machine, in vpe. This along with raytracing should give alot more realistic look to the playfields, taking out the work of creating different textures.

I imagine this matching of light will be done via schematics of the actual tables?

Also, thanks for all contributors to vpx and now vpe. Very impressive.

Edited by xoller

• Dazz featured and unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...