3rdaxis removed tables due to VPD guy

Dazz

• Content Provider

Well ... I’ve been silent on all this cause my thoughts were better stated by others. And I’m good at putting my foot in my mouth. I’m finally writing to say thanks to 3rdaxis for the explanation, and It’s cool to see Haunt around again. I’m not sure how I missed the return, but I’ve missed your POV. Faith fully restored in VP. Thanks all. 

• Content Provider

Believe me, I'm motivated to get my nearly 200 tables posted - here and @ VPF - simply because so many of them have better gameplay thanks to the primitive playfields. Nice to be able to ditch that mathmatical crap for trying to simulate the kicker hole behavior. I'm only pausing at the moment because there was an individual that actually reached out to me on VPF asking if he could upload them to some non-english looking site. I figure I give him a few days and then drop the updates - doubles his work and all.

And besides the primitive playfields, I've got some with way better images (think Firecracker, Duotron's backglass, to name a couple) and there are some gameplay fixes that never got caught in the move from VPX 10.4 to 10.5 (think timer behavior). 

And as for these table leeches - been dealing with them all my time with computers. From the days I ran a BBS sharing Apple II warez to now, it's all the same and I really couldn't care less. I know who the "good" folks are and all and they are the ones I do this shit for.

As for the folks like 3rdaxis and knorr, it sucks with the extra stuff they have to deal with regarding their tables, but I totally understand where they are coming from. I mean if Gottlieb were to suddenly get a hair up their ass and come after me for all the EMs I've done of theirs, I'd be doing the same thing...

• Content Provider

@loserman76 are you uploading all of your tables or just the ones that you updated.  That could be a shit show trying to update 200 tables.  Holy crap that’s a lot!

Does anyone talk to sliderpoint?  Is he still around.  I want to find his original NFL table.

• Content Provider
29 minutes ago, ARMYAVIATION said:

@loserman76 are you uploading all of your tables or just the ones that you updated.  That could be a shit show trying to update 200 tables.  Holy crap that’s a lot!

Does anyone talk to sliderpoint?  Is he still around.  I want to find his original NFL table.

He was over on VPF, at least a couple weeks ago, dunno how active he is in general.

8 hours ago, hauntfreaks said:

We do it for free... its only "ONE" ask.... let the builder put there content, where they want it...  i mean really is it too much to ask??

No it's not mate but the reality is it happens and you know it's your work and that's all that matters, you will always get these types of people, just like you get the same time of people who don't care for copyright, IP and blatently abuse it, same can happen with free software stuff, I mean it's not like someone is stopping you from feeding your family.

5 hours ago, WrATH2000 said:

No it's not mate but the reality is it happens and you know it's your work and that's all that matters, you will always get these types of people, just like you get the same time of people who don't care for copyright, IP and blatently abuse it, same can happen with free software stuff, I mean it's not like someone is stopping you from feeding your family.

so if some dude decides to rape my sister every time he passes her house, she should just bare with it , because eventually it won't be a big deal right?? 

55 minutes ago, hauntfreaks said:

so if some dude decides to rape my sister every time he passes her house, she should just bare with it , because eventually it won't be a big deal right?? 

That's a ridiclious comment

Edited by WrATH2000
ridiclious edit worthy.

• Content Provider

@hauntfreaksyour gonna get the same answer from every person here that has never spent rediculous hours building these tables.  The problem is they hit the download button, it takes a second and it doesn’t cost anything.  Look how much they complain when it’s hard to find a table.  Read the comments on pennant fever at vpf.  It’s rediculous that people can’t even google something 

• Content Provider

This hobby needs to take drastic steps to locking it down so that it’s not THAT freely distributed and it becomes a SOMEWHAT exclusive group.  Anything you make readily available and free for the taking that has value will be exploited by the lazy

1 hour ago, ARMYAVIATION said:

@hauntfreaksyour gonna get the same answer from every person here that has never spent rediculous hours building these tables.  The problem is they hit the download button, it takes a second and it doesn’t cost anything.  Look how much they complain when it’s hard to find a table.  Read the comments on pennant fever at vpf.  It’s rediculous that people can’t even google something 

hey everyone has their own way they want to deal with this.... there is no universal answer... you and I are on the same page.... others well they dont care, and thats more the cool with me
just that the people that dont care also respect how we feel about... and the leeches have no say one way or the other... 

21 minutes ago, hauntfreaks said:

profound maybe.... but accurate 

There is nothing deep about someone stealing your free work and comparing it to a hypothetical situlation where your sister's getting raped, maybe ask your sister and see what she thinks of that, hopefull she will call you stupid like comment was or maybe it's as stupid as the person uploading stolen work.

• Content Provider

i spent the majority of the day rearranging the game room and getting the Orbitor 1 inside where it belongs.  Plus had popper auto recording new videos for me while i rebuilt the bell units on magic city.  No time to play when you have maintenance to do

On 5/7/2021 at 3:10 PM, TerryRed said:

I've said it before...and I'll say it again. Make tables, B2S, PuP-Packs, etc because you love to do it.

If any of you are thinking that your work will never be shared / posted on other sites / torrents... you are kidding yourself. Everyone is giving this guy WAY too much exposure and time. Clearly has nothing better to do. Unless he is doing something over the line (like identity theft, etc), then don't acknowledge that his existence is worth giving two thoughts about. 

Pulling tables from the "VP" community sites because someone posts them elsewhere makes no sense to me. You are just doing the opposite of what you think your are avoiding. You are making those other sites more appealing to others.

Take a page from JPSalas, and others. They post their stuff knowing it gets posted elsewhere at some point. That doesn't stop them from doing what they enjoy in this "hobby".

Same goes for me. I do what I do because I have fun with it, and I like seeing others enjoy it. This is a "hobby", not a product or job. I know at some point whatever I work on will be found at locations I didn't post them. Oh well... big frigging deal. I may not like it or support it, but why would I decide to pull anything I work on because of that, or stop doing what I enjoy? If anything the guys who download from these locations will lose out on updates / support since they have no clue about how any of it works.

Don't let the ass-hats win. This is OUR hobby. So lets enjoy it, and move on.

Well I've said it before and I'll say it again, you get nothin for nothin You get nothing for nothing, expect it when
You're backseat driving, and your hands ain't on the wheel...

wait.... sorry.  Got side tracked 

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2021 at 8:52 AM, ARMYAVIATION said:

This hobby needs to take drastic steps to locking it down so that it’s not THAT freely distributed and it becomes a SOMEWHAT exclusive group.  Anything you make readily available and free for the taking that has value will be exploited by the lazy

What if every download from a "legitimate" site was marked with the downloader's unique identifier?  Similar to how movie screeners are marked with the specific intended recipient's name at the beginning of the movie.  What if there were protection methods added to Visual Pinball that made it so tables had to have that person's unique identifier so they could only be played on that person's machine?   What if you had to run Visual Pinball (or Future Pinball... Sorry, @TerryRed, for not saying it sooner. 😉)...  What if you had to run your pinball emulator by periodically receiving a new security token using some MFA?  I'll grant you, it's not infallible.  (There are no locks that cannot be picked.)  But it's not like you're going to have a nation state funding and attempting to break into the virtual pinball world.  You're going to have people supplying torrents, or bundling tables with cabinet builds, or Australian websites or whatever who don't have the time, money, or expertise to get around such security.

Anyway...  Just thinking out loud here....

Edited by Friffy1

• Content Provider
On 5/14/2021 at 12:18 AM, WrATH2000 said:

If I lose my Editorial license it very much does take food off of my table. But I can understand the confusion. if I get my license pulled I lose all of my revenue for everyone of these assets that I painstakingly created and sell under the strictest of conditions that I pay a royalty fee for, every month. 

It's not usually an issue UNLESS it's been published onto a site by someone else other than myself. Like VPD. Especially if it's within a bulk zipped file with hundreds of tables and, compounded by the fact that the Australian site VPD is selling merchandise that most likely DOES have these tables installed. VPD still insists on selfishly doing this with zero regard for any loses I might endure in spite of the fact that he is fully aware of it. It's parasitic. And I am holding onto this license by the skin of my teeth because of him. 

https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Artists/3rdaxis

Editorial Uses

3D Models designated with the Editorial Use label may only be used in an editorial manner, relating to events that are newsworthy or of public interest, or an academic manner, relating to teaching purposes, scholarship, and research, and may not be used for any commercial, promotional, advertising or merchandising use. In certain very limited instances, you may otherwise have the rights to Depicted Intellectual Property in content that is labeled Editorial. For instance, you may be the advertising agency for a brand/IP owner or you may be the brand/IP owner itself purchasing content. If that is the case, you may use the 3D Models with the Editorial content commercially under the standard terms of the 3D Model License, assuming you have the rights clearance through other means. But you must have all the intellectual property rights necessary from the IP in the 3D Models and this is usually only the case for the vendor of a brand/IP or for a brand/IP owner itself. As a rule of thumb, if you wonder if you have these rights, you don’t. It is usually very clearly set forth in a contract. The burden and risk of confirming these rights is on you if you Purchase 3D Models.

Allowed Editorial Uses

Rights Holders: The company or individual who owns the Depicted Intellectual Property is allowed all uses in the 3D Model License as if the 3D Model were not labeled with “Editorial Use.”

Official Licensee: You may have an explicit written license with the owner of the depicted IP and are allowed any or all uses in the 3D Model License

Broadcast, Online or Print News. Examples include a news broadcast using a 3D Model of a Boeing plane with an Editorial Use label to discuss a company merger, and a journalism blog using a 3D Model of Superman with an Editorial Use label when describing box office numbers for a new movie.

Documentary. An example is a jazz documentary using a 3D Model of a Fender guitar with an Editorial Use label which discusses the use of Fender guitars and their role in the musical popularity.

Academics. Examples include a university computer engineering student using a 3D Model of a Stadler Kiss train with an Editorial Use label to highlight layering techniques for computer animation, and a high school technology teacher using a 3D Model with an Editorial Use label of Spiderman during a class discussion of animation.

Types of Editorial Uses Not Allowed

Advertising. No advertisements (video, print, other), billboards, tradeshow or exhibit displays, etc.

Merchandising. No physical product for resale, video game, etc.

Defamatory. No defamatory, libelous or otherwise unlawful manner whether directly or in context or juxtaposition with such specific subject matter.

Branding. No incorporation into a logo, trademark or service mark.

Commercial Purpose. No commercial, non-news related purpose.

Modification. A 3D Model with an Editorial Use label may not be modified so that it no longer contains Depicted Intellectual Property.

Games Uses

Allowed games uses: Console, PC, web, mobile games; Virtual and augmented reality; Game mods; Closed MMOs and closed Virtual Worlds..

Prohibited games uses:

Redistributing or otherwise making TurboSquid 3D Models available to end-users.
If you are redistributing something that includes actual 3D Model files, the 3D Model files must be incorporated into a larger creation and not in an open format that others can be downloaded. Most game engines, such as Unity and Unreal, handle this automatically. In general, to prevent your end-users from obtaining TurboSquid 3D Models, you should use proprietary formats that cannot be extracted, exported, or decompiled without reverse engineering.

Using TurboSquid 3D Models in Virtual Worlds.
This use is prohibited if the virtual world-type is an open MMO, like Second Life. However, the use is allowed if the MMO is a closed MMO, like World of Warcraft. More specifically, the 3D Model may not be exported or sold.

Using TurboSquid products in Browser based games.
TurboSquid allows using 3D Models in the following WebGL browser-based applications: Unity, Unreal, and Lumberyard. Others may be approved on a case by case basis.

Additional use in WebGL applications.
TurboSquid allows content to be used in WebGL applications IF the customer/application converts the content from the DCC format to a JavaScript/other non-standard format prior to porting to the WebGL program, subject to the following guidelines: A) the format has no known reverse engineering methods and/or B) The textures and topology of the mesh have been modified in such a way to make it a substantially different product. These uses must be approved in advance by contacting us through email or our Support channels.