Silent Hill

TerryRed

• Content Provider

Silent Hill

I'm making this new "standalone" table based on the game series and the Silent Hill movie. My intent is to have progression through the main events of the movie, while having the things that make the game iconic.

- foggy town

- darkness

- flashlight

- different locations (alley, school, hospital, church)

- otherworld levels (rusty, blood)

- creepy monsters

- creepy sounds

- iconic Akira Yamaoka music

Silent Hill is my favorite game series, and I really wanted to get to look / feel / sounds of that in this table.

This is the latest WIP video:

Sounds and Music

If there is one thing the Silent Hill series is known for, is the amazingly beautiful and disturbing sounds and music from the extremely talented Akira Yamaoka.

I bought every soundtrack I could get over the years. The number of sound files made for these games is crazy! Silent Hill 2 alone has many 100s of sound files. I'm going through ALL of them and the other games to find the sounds I need for Silent Hill.

6DnhUS6.png

While doing "research"... I decided to do some sound recordings from the games to use. I've only ever played SH2, SH3, SH4, Homecoming on my PC (which "today" is a real benefit with 4K, 60fps, Enhanced mods, etc)

Wow! Almost 20 years later, and I still have my original save game files!

Playing these now is like travelling back in time. It's awesome!

mLGaKFN.png

Silent Hill Textures

There's something freaky and cool about going through textures of a 20 year old game to use in a 13 year old pinball editor to be played on almost anything modern including a VR headset.

If anything, it makes me really appreciate the talent of texture artists, and how far ahead Team Silent was back then.

v0Xx6zQ.png

Monster models

I'll be adding many of the monsters from the movie / games. Most will be animated to some degree.

Straight Jacket

The "straight jacket / armless man" from the movies is tricky. I was able to extract the original model, but couldn't use the original texture as the UV wrapping info is lost with the extraction.

So with the help of a very talented VPX table author / modeler... he was able to fix up the model (half the polygons were flipped) and create a very cool looking texture to try to make it look more like the movie version (on the left). The model had a few slits in it, so he made them bloody looking, as well adding the cool bump mapped skin and veins! You can see how it will actually look in FP-BAM on the right.

The hard part will be figuring out how to animate this guy since he doesn't have "arms"...which makes using Mixamo for auto rigging and animation not possible, until I figure out another solution.

O64894w.png

Grey Children

This is also a bit tricky because there are no detailed models to use from the original game as Silent Hill 1 was on PS1 which looks like this. 

L82gyJs.png

So I decided to find other models that I could use that were close enough, and maybe distort them to look more like the movie version. Here's what I have so far on the left compared to the movie on the right. I found a Resident Evil monster model, used Mixamo to auto-rig it into a T Pose...then used Blender to sacle the head to be bigger and twist it a bit.

Yes, I know it looks more like Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th Part 1 (when he jumped out of the lake)... but it's the best I can do unless a better option comes along. 

OQEW2BL.jpg

...and more monsters yet to come!

Foggy Town

Silent Hill the game and movie changes from foggy to the darkness / otherworld version of the same location. I "intend" to do the same for this table. How well that will work out we'll have to see.

This is where I am at currently with the foggy town look. This will be changing as you progress throughout the game.

YPL3Tog.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

When you are trying to animate an armless Silent Hill monster for RetroFlair 2... you need to add "fake arms" so it can be autorigged (adding a skeleton) to allow for animation. I manually added the nurse monster's arms to the armless monster. Here's how it turned out...

Ha... they may be tiny, but it works! 

The arms will just use an invisible texture, so you won't even see them.

imbJBZa.png

• TerryRed changed the title to Silent Hill (now a standalone table)
  • Content Provider

Monsters and monstrous model sizes!

So now that Silent Hill is a stand alone table... I have much more freedom to go crazy and add much more detail and many more models.

VPX models and FP standard models are old school in that they can only use a single UV wrap texture... so you never see complex models that are a crazy size in VPX or non BAM FP tables.

FP BAM however supports modern FBX models (what I use for animated characters and more). This means that the models can have built-in complex and multiple animations.... but also many different groups / sections of the model that can each have their own textures, bump mapping and more.

Any model from a "modern" PC game can be MUCH larger in size compared to any typical model found on virtual pinball tables.

I found some stunning Silent Hill models to convert from Dead by Daylight.

The Pyramid Head model alone.... when converted with all the PNG 2048x2048 colour textures and 2048x2048 bump map/normal textures adds up to 55 MB.... for "one" model. That's larger than the entire Silent Hill table (for now)! It works and looks great... but is a bit overkill for a model you don't ever get to see up close.

So converting all the textures down to 512x512 and jpg reduces the model to about 6 MB. You can't even tell the difference. When the table is done, I can always bump up the texture resolution if there is plenty of space to spare.... but tables can goto a max of about 240 MB before you are pushing it too far.

01NDQTN.png

3h9T7Ug.png

xoNO78q.png

Adding Silent Hill literally to my Silent Hill table.

I have spent the last couple of weeks completely rebuilding my Silent Hill pinball table (as it's now going to be a standalone table). While the layout may look similar to what I showed in the RetroFlair 2 demo... I basically have rebuilt most of the table's layout and geometry with many changes, which requires redoing much of the table.

A huge change will be the addition of actual buildings, items and more from the Silent Hill games being added to the table.

I was able to rip some things myself...others I was able to get from other community sites for Silent Hill / deviant art,etc. Some from SH1 (on PS1), SH2 / SH3 / SH4 on PC.

Many of these buildings from the game never had complete tops / roofs to them as you never saw them in game, or they were covered by fog,etc.

I've had to modify and rebuild some buildings to make them fit or look good on the table in Future Pinball. I also added many little details to completely populate the table to look like a town of Silent Hill.

Details such as:

Hydro Poles with wires going across the table

fire hydrants

trees

stop signs

garbage can / dumpsters

cars / vans

Texxon Gas Station

Happy Burger

Stores

Midwich School (SH1)

Lakeside Amusement Park Entrance (with Robbie the Rabbit)

barricades / fences

Woodside Apartments

street lights used as flashers

The end result is looking very cool (and I haven't redrawn the playfield and plastics art yet)... but there is more being added.

The same will go for all other levels I'll be adding such as the School and Hospital and Otherworld / Hell versions. I'll be using props / items from the games to make this look unlike any other pinball game.

HFsuaTW.png

krS0iru.png

5fwJCaC.png

xPFYLYn.png

c6exIEQ.png

JmDupjk.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

"Texture tiling, old school style"

Work is chugging along with my Silent Hill table. I have been completely redoing the main table, and have been transforming the table literally into the town of Silent Hill using actual models / assets / textures from the original Silent Hill games (20+ years old now).

I never thought I would see myself manually "tiling" textures for pinball plastics art, but here it is. It may look odd but this is a pic of the "town" plastics and apron without any models, etc.

Since BAM custom models work differently than normal FP models, you can't see them when generating a blueprint to use for creating the playfield / plastics art. So I had to manually "guess" where all the buildings / cars / trees / lightposts / powerlines / fire hydrants, etc would be in order to place all the texture tiles.... and even more so for the shadows for everything.

It may not look much on it's own right now.... but when you see the "new" table compared to the old RetroFlair 2 demo... I think your jaw will drop. Everything you saw previously has been either replaced or completely redone... and there is so much more to add. I'm loving how this is turning out.

FEXXyE9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • TerryRed changed the title to Silent Hill
  • Content Provider

Silent Hill (Future Pinball - BAM)

New Table (Work in Progress) - Nightmare Alley, Armless Monster Scenes and features Demo

This is the first work in progress of my new standalone Silent Hill table for Future Pinball - BAM. For all the years I've been in this hobby... I always told myself, if I was to do my own table... it would have to be Silent Hill... my favorite game series.

Thanks to the amazing recent BAM updates from ravarcade (for Future Pinball), many of my ideas are now possible. So I've taken all I know, and have started to put it all into this fan-made work of passion.

I think you'll be amazed at how atmospheric and immersive pinball can be, and with Silent Hill this is essential.

I really wanted all the key ingredients included. Fog, Darkness, Lighter, Flashlight (dynamic light), Radio static, Otherworld, Rust, Blood, Decay, Siren, Creepy Monsters, visuals and authentic locations, items and music from the classic Silent Hill games

The next step...probably my favorite and the most daunting...is creating Scene 3 - Midwich School.

This work is purely made for my own enjoyment and education, and is my love letter to Team Silent, and all other Silent Hill dev teams that have poured their heart into this series. I hope, as a fan, I will do them proud.

Thanks to:

- Rom for the original layout used for the table
- Schreibi34 for the gorgeous insert renders
- Andrei Maraklov for help with the amazing Armless Monster model
- ravarcade for the amazing BAM updates that make this possible
- Chris Leathley for Future Pinball
- Gimli, GeorgeH, wild, Steve Paradis, shiva, and many others at Pinball Nivanna for great examples and support
- SLAMT1LT, and other FP and VP authors for great examples to learn from
- the entire VP community, who has been very supportive of my crazy work, despite it not conforming to "realistic" pinball

• 5 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Back to work on Silent Hill (PinEvent)

OK... so after a few weeks....I'm back at working on Silent Hill. My "hope" is to have it done for Halloween... but that may be too ambitious...especially if I need to add PinEvent when the table is done. When Silent Hill is done.... then it's back to work on RetroFlair 2. Let's just hope my work doesn't take me away from home up until XMAS holidays so I can get these done!

Now to work on the Midwich School Scene.

Playfield and Plastics

Silent Hill (and RetroFlair 2) are different in that they completely change up the layout, visuals, models, and textures for multiple Scenes as you progress. This is almost like creating art for multiple pinball tables, but its only this one table.

So far I have only the first two Scenes done which use the town and alley artwork. Now I need to do models, layout, playfield and plastics for Midwich School.

For the Town and Alley, here's the playfield and plastics art. It seems simple when you remove all the table components... but it's a lot harder than it looks when you are trying create something new that works on a new table that evolves and changes. Lots of trial and error.

In the mean time... here's a few pics to hold you over .

nMmkWFw.jpg

PbTr1Jb.jpg

TDkD3AX.jpg

RqCQGRh.jpg

wD25OnT.jpg

4FAmYPI.jpg

FEXXyE9.jpg

Yta1IzG.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Silent Hill (PinEvent):

New look, multiple playfields, and first reveal of Midwich School's classroom and bathroom sections.

I'm back at it, adding more to Silent Hill (PinEvent). I'm now creating the Midwich School sections (and show a teaser of the classroom and bathroom), which required me to give the entire game a much needed makeover to the playfield. This was essential to allow multiple other playfields / ramps / wireramps, etc to be able to swap in and out between sections of the game. You've never seen anything like this (except on RetroFlair 2 of course).... and this is taking it to a whole new level.

No full gameplay of the new levels shown for now (just a preview)... but I can't wait to show you what I've come up with for the School Otherworld in the next video preview (when the Midwich sections are all done).

• Content Provider

Silent Hill (PinEvent) - Bugging around with Creepers

I was stressing because I couldn't find a suitable 3d model for the "creeper" bugs I'm adding to my Silent Hill virtual pinball table I'm making in Future Pinball.

I found some great beetle FBX models with fully animated legs...but the bug looked nothing like the Silent Hill movie's bugs.

Using the video link below... I was easily able to use this pic from the Silent Hill movie concept art to create the model I needed.

https://youtu.be/k043OByAG-4

With slight adjustments in Blender, I combined the new model with the beetle's animated legs (with complete skeletal animation) and I made some nice normal / bump maps... and it turned out great!

You'll love these new Creeper bugs crawling all over the table (and they don't like being hit). Just a small part of the creepiness you'll be seeing in Silent Hill.

image.thumb.png.1df0c784404bd97cda11aa0b47689dbe.png

image.thumb.png.1598fcc49e989ffa4f109571adbf58e9.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Silent Hill (PinEvent) - Pinball without "BALLS"?

Silent Hill will be BIG compared to typical pinball games. So that means it will be that much harder to complete if you are limited to the traditional 3 / 5 ball game.

So I decided to try something different. Instead of "Balls", I decided to have "Health" just like in the Silent Hill games.

You start with 100 health, and each ball that drains reduces health by a specific amount (this may be determined by an Easy / Normal / Hard mode same as the games as well). So it could be you lose 10 health with each ball drained, or maybe 15, or 20, etc.

You can increase your health a few ways:

• the drop targets for the Health Drink gives you 25 health (and popups for outer lanes)
  • the drop targets for the Med-Kit gives you 50 health (and Ball Saver)
  • collect all Ampoule roll-overs gives you 75 health
  • collect hidden Ampoule throughout the different levels gives you 75 health

I'm working away with what free time I can get (doubt very much it will be done for Halloween), and what I have so far for the Midwich School is friggin' awesome... but I won't show it off until all of Midwich is done.

image.thumb.png.e1ebaa97fd8a8c201da7f2e968c0c017.png

image.thumb.png.93b68c51e9f049560ebd54ace49e9095.png

• Content Provider
11 minutes ago, jmac said:

Looks beautiful!  Any chance the finished product will be playable on an ALP through Pinball Emporium?

The finished table will be available on the main vp sites that I normally upload to, and will work on any "capable" PC running the latest FP-BAM and with PinEvent installed.

• Content Provider

Silent Hill (PinEvent) - Pyramid Head lives!

Woo Hoo! I've finished 5 out of 6 levels / sections of the Midwich School scene in my Silent Hill table for Future Pinball - BAM.

I was finally able to figure out how to get Pyramid Head working and complete with proper animation for his helmet head, as well as his Great Knife being animated as a proper weapon.

I knew how to convert / modify / animate characters and complex FBX models before (like Michael Myers in Halloween). This is something BAM and FP together fully support (VPX can only use simple OBJ models and no complex animation). However before if the model I converted had a weapon, then when I would auto-rig it for animation... the weapon would move and distort with the fingers, etc.

Now I figured out how to get it to work in Blender, and now the Great Knife is a separate model that uses the same armature rig and model animation as the Pyramid Head model, but it's properly attached to the right hand bone (but I still keep it as it's own separate model). Same idea for the Pyramid "head", as it would distort if it wasn't a separate "part" of the main model, and I needed to mod and attach it properly to the head bone. (this is something I need to do for Darth Vader now as well)

Now this dude is fully animated and looks amazing! I'm trying not to show too much in this pic as there is A LOT to see in each section of Midwich, and like RetroFlair 2's demo... you will see some stuff you never thought possible in virtual pinball before.

Once the 6th section is done, I'll make another EPIC video showing off the most freaky / disturbing / coolest pinball you've ever seen.

Silent Hill is not going to be a "normal" virtual pinball game!

311651754_SilentHill-PinEvent-SchoolOW2-PyramidHead54.thumb.png.d0513bfeb47712b6c6ec2cc046559361.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Silent Hill (PinEvent) - Midwich School Teaser

Video Playthrough Preview Coming Soon!

After months of work... the EPIC video preview for Silent Hill you've been waiting to see is almost here!

Midwich School is a terrifying place that contains secrets... disturbing visuals... and horrifying monsters. Anyone who has played Silent Hill or has seen the movie will know what to expect.

This has been a MASSIVE undertaking. Unlike anything you guys have seen in virtual pinball. Anyone who has seen what I did (so far) with RetroFlair 2, will know I mean business!

You won't believe this "one" section of Midwich (and the rest of the game) is all in "one" pinball game... and there's much more to come!

I don't want to spoil the massive surprises and cool stuff you will see soon.... but it will be worth the wait!

(bad news is.... this table has a long ways to go until it's ALL done, but the Midwich part was probably the largest to do)

• Content Provider

Silent Hill (PinEvent)

The Midwich school and Otherworld video preview is finally here! Horrifying pinball unlike anything you've seen!

After months of work, I can finally show off my first preview of the Midwich School and Otherworld levels of my Silent Hill table for Future Pinball - BAM.

This table is a complete game changer.... literally... as you will see the town of Silent Hill change in front of your eyes from the foggy town, to the Nightmare Alley, to the school classrooms (and more), and finally to the hell'ish Otherworld. You will see disturbing sights and monsters never before seen in pinball. You won't believe this is all in "one" table! It's a great visual showcase and unlike anything you've ever seen before... and there's more to come!

This table is my love letter to all developers and contributors to ALL Silent Hill games. It's my favorite game series, and this has always been the pinball table I wanted to make!

It's constantly evolving, and it's a crazy amount of work. Now I need to work on the Hotel, Hospital and Church levels... then it's on to finishing it with PinEvent. Lots more work to do!

Some interesting stats:

- 8 different playfields / levels (so far)

- 5 completely different sets of ramps and wireramps that change for each level

- 6+ sets of playfield and plastics art in 4K (so far)

- 80+ BAM custom FBX models (this doesn't include the normal FP "table" models).... so far

- thanks to Andrei Maraklov for help with rebuilding and texturing the Armless monster

- a crap load of texture animation (thanks to KenSwift for some AE help!). Don't want to spoil anything!

- thanks to Schreibi34 for his gorgeous insert images (i made bump maps and insert hole meshes. Looks great!

- thanks to Rom, as I used RetroFlair as a starting point for this table

- thanks to ravarcade for so many awesome BAM features!

- lots of dynamic lights and dynamic spotlights that looks creepy and cool

I'm really held back a lot from what I "want" to do because of FP being 32 bit (table size limitations due to ram access....same as 32 bit VPX).

As you can see though, this table is already really BIG.

I don't want to spoil anything! So I highly recommend you watch from beginning to end as there are many surprises and wow moments to be seen that are all part of the progressing Silent Hill story. (remember what I said about RetroFlair 2)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Silent Thr-Hill-er Dance Off!

The Monsters of Silent Hill wanted to get into the groove for Halloween! Watch them strut their stuff!

You also get a first preview of Lisa Garland, Dark Alessa, and Valtiel

Happy Halloween everyone!

• Content Provider

Silent Hill (PinEvent)

The Grand Hotel - first pics.

I've been sick the last 2 weeks, so I haven't got much done, but I do have the first part of the Grand Hotel done.

Let's hope I get this thing done before XMAS now :P

606337292_SilentHill-PinEvent-Hotel62.thumb.png.62c032a287f3d035bc38f0838bcb142a.png

386572067_SilentHill-PinEvent-Hotel63.thumb.png.aa8b01e958342617ba46d73a583ac687.png

• Content Provider

Grand Hotel work in progress update 2.

Now I have the first two parts of the Grand Hotel done. Changed up the inserts and decals, and now have "The First Burning" painting that leads to Room 111.

Much more to do.

1015106480_SilentHill-PinEvent-Hotel7-painting7.thumb.jpg.8d61b9689ec0947397730a58d71796a5.jpg1410035258_SilentHill-PinEvent-Hotel7-painting74.thumb.jpg.277fe1dde3e2ae78f5a5e540c6069f61.jpg

• Content Provider

Silent Hill (PinEvent)

The Grand Hotel - update 3

Room 111 - The Sacrificial Chamber

Still feeling crappy, but managed to get some more work done. This is the 3rd part of the Grand Hotel, and what you find when you enter Room 111. The seal hanging above the coal fire pit rotates non-stop to remind you that "something terrible happened here".

Much more to do...

95402006_SilentHill-PinEvent-Hotel-Burnt55.thumb.jpg.ace344aceb2cdb5772e318933588c0b1.jpg

2079883297_SilentHill-PinEvent-Hotel-Burnt54.thumb.jpg.b5607a9cdb876a7203f22ebd1a80f455.jpg

1629584916_SilentHill-PinEvent-Hotel-Burnt53.thumb.jpg.6cd3c4a130b7f430fa9661702b34f538.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

FLEEP'ing awesome mechanical sounds update!

Thanks to the generosity of the amazingly dedicated Fleep... Silent Hill will be getting a very nice mechanical sounds and SSF boost! I asked Fleep if I could use his sounds, and he was more than happy to oblige!

Not only are those sounds so crystal clear and amazing quality.... but there are MANY to use so you don't get the same exact sound each time.

It sounds so good I disabled some other "effects" just so I can hear the fleep sounds more. 

I can't go all out and do some of the more fancy stuff he does (like change sounds based on ball velocity, etc).... but it still sounds so good.

image.thumb.png.3838f092724c030182ec2d05a97f56a5.png

• Content Provider

The Grand Hotel - Update 4

- Run to the Church

- updated lighting

- Fleep sounds

After inspecting the Hotel, and sacrificial chamber... you need to run to the church, as you hear the eerie siren meaning the Darkness is coming!

Progress in getting this done is going much slower because I'm still sick... but I'm almost done the Grand Hotel Level! This turned out to be a much bigger section that I original expected it to be... and turned out really cool. Can't wait for you guys to see it. I'll do a demo video soon enough.

The updated lighting looks so much better... and the Fleep mechanical sounds are amazing!

As always... when this part is done... much more work to do... as the Hospital is next... and that will be a big part to do. Need to figure out exactly what to try.

2054063493_church1.thumb.png.f55923daf516e1cec60c542249cb96e7.png

1229783248_church3.thumb.png.f2b0dd8b5a51b583e2185bfdf3b62b06.png

1586363159_church2.thumb.png.9af8cbfc251c4e213a3b9e96f4931ee6.png

1963873579_church5.thumb.png.4486c6fc4a2f0402175e315760e5722b.png

564560734_church6.thumb.png.1789c8651405dec71bcc5374373c5c15.png