So What Exactly Is The Point Of This Site?

Gannicus

Hey guys.

Long time lurker of the vp forums, the hyperspin forums, and now here.

Looking at the forum structure here, it's just as confusing as every other pin forum.

Is this a forum for creating a new virtual pinball solution? I understand the cabinets section, but why include vp9, future pinball talk over here if the goal is to replace those (imho) crappily outdated software solutions?

Just trying to understand the purpose of this site. Thanks!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Why would you understand us having a cab section but then get confused about having a vp and fp section?

What are people supposed to play on there cabs.

Vp is now open source and needs a community run by people who's interests don't revolve around money.

Here you can download whatever you want without us asking for a dime, if you think that there isn't room for a place like this on the web then thats your opinion only.

Before this community started i was at the point i would never release a table again i wasnt happy and having fun any more

But now there is a place where i can be myself and not have t o be scared of getting reprimanded about something that upsets a member of the vpf staff click.

• Content Provider

A lot of talented guys who got fed up by the staff at VPF decided to open up an alternate website that was a bit more community driven.

It's good to have alternatives, so one guy isn't running everything.  Especially when that one guy influence the direction of this hobby so he makes the most money with his webstore.

Without alternatives, there would be no Pepsi because Coke already existed.

• Content Provider

Maybe the other site banned a contributing member of the comunity for something that was maybe a little childish and imho totally overblown but no different than most of the people involved did at one time.

to me this site isnt a replacement for the other site, having more content is the ultimate goal people want and if some authors are happy here and some are happy there, in the end its still a positive thing. 

At the moment i feel no pressure here, everyone seems happy with what im doing and my releases. i have only heard positive comments so far and from what i can gather so has everyone else who has uploaded here.

on the other forums i would get complaints and attacks by people who would not be reasonable and that overshadowed the majority of people who enjoyed and apreciated the work.

i am not saying it was the other forums fault but maybe the mentality of some members from the old vp forum days before the current site and it still has that stigma.

i still post at vpf and prob to some extent always will and eventually i will release my work there, yet i will not push people here as i can respect that wish, maybe one day the two sites will be promoted by eachother as both offering a different take on the community, stranger things have happened.

http://www.vpforums.org

try posting a link to this site there and see how long it lasts. i have even been shown by people who harmlessly posted it unaware of getting warning pm's from staff. how is that positive for the comunity? there can only be one? yet i can post gopinball links, hyperpin links, pinball nirvana or any other link and they are ok ?

maybe here we can get new members and a new mentality and start fresh. i would love the bitterness out of this comunity so it can thrive like it should have by now

• Content Provider

As it says on the front page of my site "It's my belief that no one site should have everything (including this one)." For promoting my place via one thread, and asking a couple (2 or 3) friends if I could host their work, I was demoted to member. I'm not setup to take over vp lol. I don't have near the resources or talent that this place has. :)

If you are a long time lurker of the virtual pinball forums, you have been to VPF. Have you not seen the commercial driven end of things there?

To me, pinball has always been about community. Ya know, like going to the arcade where there where other people to play along side of or against.

This site is about having a good time without having to meet one childish person's expectations. I f the group likes it, it is good.

My question is: What is the point of the initial question?

I've not been a member here for very long, but I'd like to add my thoughts to this topic.

For me the point of this site is the culture, community, and free sharing of information and resources.

On top of that I wasn't forced to pay a specified annual membership fee in order to download files which have been created and uploaded by other paying members.

However, since coming here and sampling some of the fine goods on offer I freely contributed some cash to help with the running costs of the site.

I'm unsure about your motivation for creating this topic, as it's quite clear why this website and community exist; pinball, friends, speaking shit and having a good time :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Dazz is doing a great thing here at VPU. I own a fast growing Pin Cab business and approached him about an exclusive vendor sponsorship. He reminded me that this forum is not about just selling machines but helping grow the VP community. I actually felt kind of bad. I wasn't out for world domination, but the business side of me saw a great oportunity with this site.  I don't want to hurt the community by regulating what they see and are allowed to buy and I'm glad Dazz was able to remind me of that. The wonderful thing is that he allows me and others to freely post our sale ads and promotions. I truly hope and believe that this site is the future of Virtual Pinball.

I didn't understand, because after reading the header and everything, it seemed like this place was a community looking to create a better virtual pinball software alternative...but after reading the forums I didn't see much of that.

Now I understand the forum is more of a community hang out alternative to the vp forums. Totally understand that though. That crowd isn't very friendly. All pitchforks and torches over there! LOL

I've been a member od VPF for two years. To be honest, and having experience of running a big photo community (which I left cause people where hungry for money), I didnt like the way a "leading" pinball community was spinning around a private business when the actual software was released as open source. I'm glad you guys started VP Universe, a place where ideas and creativity wont be hindered by unnecessery and pointless restriction. I wish you luck and will try to contribute to VPU even with a word or two for starters ;)

Gee and I leave for one weekend and come back to hear this again

"Mommy, Pin site V took my ball again make him stop!" Or, "He's hitting me Mommy make it all better!"

I love all the pin sites...even the real political one! over here there is a freer look to the whole site

like we can bs more here since it is more for the adult crowd here, there it is more G rated

and unfortunately for me being a holdout for the desktop pins

at vpf I have to wade in and jostle my way past throngs of cab users, owners, builders, buyers

just to find the one or two other desktop builders/users/players to converse with

same here yes but the attitude it different and I can find things easier actually with less politics and backstabbing!

now who was the bad boy THIS week?? :lol:

Gee and I leave for one weekend and come back to hear this again

"Mommy, Pin site V took my ball again make him stop!" Or, "He's hitting me Mommy make it all better!"

I love all the pin sites...even the real political one! over here there is a freer look to the whole site

like we can bs more here since it is more for the adult crowd here, there it is more G rated

and unfortunately for me being a holdout for the desktop pins

at vpf I have to wade in and jostle my way past throngs of cab users, owners, builders, buyers

just to find the one or two other desktop builders/users/players to converse with

same here yes but the attitude it different and I can find things easier actually with less politics and backstabbing!

now who was the bad boy THIS week?? :lol:

No bad boy, when I saw this site, I thought this was going to be a new project to replace VP and FP with some new technology that is BADLY needed in this hobby. I just wanted clarification because I didn't find it, that's all. =)

• Content Provider

No bad boy, when I saw this site, I thought this was going to be a new project to replace VP and FP with some new technology that is BADLY needed in this hobby. I just wanted clarification because I didn't find it, that's all. =)

lets hope this place promotes the enviroment needed to make that happen also. there is no reason why we cant have a community bringing in talents from all over to make this happen. we just need the right people with the right talents to get interested and much can happen.

lets hope this place promotes the enviroment needed to make that happen also. there is no reason why we cant have a community bringing in talents from all over to make this happen. we just need the right people with the right talents to get interested and much can happen.

Could not have said it better!

I'd be willing to help fund this if there is a way to make things better.

Personally, I found that VPF had become quite acidic in all areas of the site. No one was allowed to have an opinion that was contrary to the one before it, even if it was to encourage open discussion and debate.

It is still going on there today where one person believes he has the only valid opinion regarding what PC specs are required for a cabinet and that everyone else that posts their opinion is outright wrong, no matter what.

This attitude is not curbed but seems to be almost encouraged. The whole place has become a 'who has the biggest wang' competition. It was just another reminder of why I do not go there much anymore.

If this site can bring the community spirit and acceptance that is constantly seen on Hyperspin / Hyperpin forums as I believe it will, this will be a fantastic and needed change to the digital pincab scene. 

I for one cannot wait to free up some time and contribute some tutorial vids and other things to this site.

I have to admit that I only ever go on VPF to answer pm's (usually regarding the booster board thread). While I was there yesterday I happened upon a couple of threads that looked promising but soon turned into a "I'm an authority and you're just wrong" sort of thing. I don't recognize half the members over there and most of the "authorities" on the subject seem to be relative newcomers to the site. 

Got tired of it pretty quickly and bailed shortly after that.

I get that it's a big advertisement for someone's business, I have a business related to this stuff too, but that shouldn't mean that the abusive tone over there should be tolerated or encouraged as it appears to be. If all you want to have involved in your site are your buddies and yes men, why not restrict the membership to just that group?

Hopefully that can continue to be avoided here as it has been so far.

• Administrators

I agree with both you guys about VPF..anybody thats wants to do somthin different from vpf is condemed by noah...Its his way or the highway..you dont have a opinion you never did..

as long as he gets what he wants, your his best friend.(.you know for the community)   you dont give him what he wants ,your out like most of us here..

I for one love the change in mentallity( and not going to a site run by a GIMMIE PIG...and a VP NAZI.)...A site that wants to push vp forward instead of hinderin progress for personal gain...

A place like VPU..   Quote: The  # 1 VP spite site on the net :   B)

make things better in what way? this site and Rogue fills the spaces the 'other' ones don't or can't

vpf has some great forums and resources and I for one was NOT forced ever to sign up and pay for the downloads there

actually when I signed up with my pay it was to help push the site further along (3 years ago)

and not for the downloading ability

sure I walk on eggshells there especially when it comes to what site I can and can't post links to there

and as for this site?

well it ain't so much for me as you cab owner/users

but it is a pin site and we can't have too many of those

The resources on this site ain't for me at all (I hate cabs!!) but the people are

and that is the only reason I am here...

but as for the site getting better? I can only see greatness

for Dazz and Tim and their respective sites

in the future as long as all the bullshit politics stop

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against VP. I haven't had the issues that a lot of others have (yet), I just don't care much for the fanatical stance in posting that a lot of posters seem to be adopting there; it's still a great resource, just not my preference for atmosphere.

Archived