So What Exactly Is The Point Of This Site?

Gannicus

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

he does NOT charge for copyrighted content you don't have to become a paid member unless you want to

so if you or anyone else wants to download anything just do it no money involved

there is a limit though to how much you can download per day without paying for membership

and no I ain't getting a kickback for supporting him just stating facts

just try to get the facts straight before bashing anyone

except for that one time a year membership for unlimited downloads only there is no money involved

(as far as I know anyhow) I never got charged for downloading anything esp roms

In my eyes, this is equivalent of saying. You're not paying for the movie I've burned on to this DVD. You're just paying for the disc at inflated cost. In the end, you're paying for the Roms / Tables.

Yes, if you have no life like Faralos, then you too can have everything in a couple of months.

• Content Provider

It's been brought to my attention that I may have been fighting the good fight for the wrong reasons. I do see somewhat of the point that was made, not all, but enough to where I'm going to bow out of this.

I'm not changing sides. I'm just being told I'm pissed for the wrong reasons, and I'm somewhat seeing their point.

I still have no plans on being active there. I'm just going to continue working on my site, and participating here.

• Administrators

Was that a FLIP or a FLOP Itchy inquiring minds want to know?  then if you are " bowing out" why would you post that bs then?

seems to me you dont know jack about what your talkin about  ???

seems to me you have no balls to make your own statement and stick by it ??

NO GUTS NO GLORY ..

Fuckin Pussy  :rolleyes:

• Content Provider

I saw his post yesterday and thought it was right on. I'm a bit bias though as it showed some support in my direction and those taking the brunt of the attack. Sorry to see it retracted as it seemed like a reasonable response but I can understand the change if heart. It happens.

• Content Provider

Yeah, I agreed with the post as well.  It's a little bit of a disappointment that it was retracted.

Thanks for sharing your tables with us 85vett, and don't let Paul get to you.  More and more people are seeing his true personality.

• Content Provider

Paul didn't get to me. It was mentioned in chat that I should be more pissed about him being a dick versus all the membership donations. WM was there. And I am pissed about both. But I was told I should be focusing on one more than the other. Both are serious issues. Everytime I say "I just done" with him, something else happens. I'm sure a lot more members than we think are aware of him being unstable. But they all want the downloads so they're not going anywhere.

I thought the attack on 85vett and Scott was unwarranted. This hobby needs good builders or it stops. Nevermind that these are both good guys. When I talked to Gary I was trying to get a clear answer. I was convinced it was made up bullshit from Paul. Now I'm guessing it was a "handshake" agreement that Gary probably doesn't even remember. Gary's aware of what we do, but until we affect anything, we're not likely to hear from him.

There is serious cash floating around if you do the math. That assumes he doesn't sell anything. Which we know isn't the case. Those two quotes I mentioned before have stuck in my head since I heard them.

"My girlfriend likes 300$ purses".

(In chat) Paul offing to fly Destruk in for the Expo (2010).

I'm not changing my position. I'm just stepping back from the bullshit. There's only one thing that would help over there- new management. until that happens we're just pissing in the wind.

I do stick by what I said before. I just realized I was joining the mob for the sake of joining the mob. So I retracted it, and decided to move on.

I can understand from where the "fear" over there comes and I don`t disagree with everything Paul says, but I find it more funnier, that this is still something that get´s everybody's blood pressure up in the air, even if you can explain it easily with "No SAM tables here until a new system comes out... Deal with it".

he also doesn't seem to understand what OUT OF PRODUCTION MEANS :P

he's basing it on the production life of the currently used SAM core system, not the individual games.

so according to his mentality (and this so called mythical agreement), there should be no Stern emulated games (that are running on the current core system) until they develop a new system and the currently used system has been out of date for over 3 years.

is he really that worried that is business will be hurt if these games are emulated?? - in one word YES.. He's scared that S will issue a C&D on his site and kill off his business (because apparently everyone supposedly thinks that his site is the only one out there providing these files)

A lot of the time its the only way most people can get to play pinball. Hey I can't remember the last time i saw a pinball machine in the wild!! (apart from the couple we have at work). Most (if not all) of the UK seaside arcades are going slot / gambling machine based, so don't even have many arcade machines, let alone pinball machines.

This whole argument hinges on the so called misconception that if someone plays a virtual copy of the table, or if a poor copy of the table is created that portrays the game badly... they won't go and play the original. That tbh is total c**p, as anyone will ever tell you a virtual simulation is no substitute for the real thing.

This hobby has got me hooked on pinball again and I will probably at some point pickup a couple of "proper" machines, that without playing the virtual tables, this would have probably never happened.

stern won't do anything as both potc and iron man are out of production and they also know emulation is nothing compared to the real thing. his argument is 100% flawed let vpf stay in the past this site is moving into the future of pinball and SAM tables are here to stay so he better just

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

yesterday I found a PinBot machine at a local bar, I was soooo excited to find it so close to my home.  The owner had asked me to put a table their in the past, but I never found out how much a vending license is in my town, so I never got around to it.  Well after putting $1 into the machine, I see that there was no sound coming from the machine and the left flipper was really shitty, barely working. All I can say is a good VP table blows away a real table that plays like shit.  Sorry but no more quarters are going into that machine.  If gary wants people happy with pinball, make an agreement with the operators that force them to maintain their machines in proper working order.

• Administrators

stern won't do anything as both potc and iron man are out of production and they also know emulation is nothing compared to the real thing. his argument is 100% flawed let vpf stay in the past this site is moving into the future of pinball and SAM tables are here to stay so he better just

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

Right on man....

All I can say is a good VP table blows away a real table that plays like shit.  

Thats a fact  :D

All of this is still good reading and interesting to say the least, well to me anyways. Learning a lot about a hobby that is almost dead in my area (I know of 2 real pins in the wild and the only vender for them will not answer the listed phone number and only a name on a mailbox at the physical location). IMHO, which is not worth two piles of shit, this whole VP scene can only bring attention to a hobby that all but dead in the "wild". Has anyone been to Stern site lately and looked at the cost of a new pin? LMAO @ 10k for a new "top of the line, deluxe, gold edition, limited production" pinball game. Even if you owned a bar or arcade that was still busy enough to have a big crowd on the weekends, you would never make money on that investment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Sorry got cut off .... son grabbed my phone ...

So, I think that it would be in Sterns best interest to bring as much new life into this genre as possible to keep him in business. We in the VP hobby have a ways to go to make a emulation look and play as easily and smoothly as a new or well maintained real pin. NO DISRESPECT to anyone here or on any other VP site. I love your work and I wish I had the time and talent you all have ... that said ... we will need to come out of the stone age of DX7 and XP to make a VP emulation that can rival a real pin IMO. User friendly installers and updates are mandatory in this day and age of Xbox PS3 and Steam users that are the next generation that we need to attract.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

The whole "authorization" thing is killing innovation and moving on with the hobby. Oh no, we can't make fixes of a table since the guy who originally made it is now living in a mountain cave in Montana.  

New changes in VP? Great. Can't update a table or two since one's not the "original author"(really, Pat Lawlor makes VP tables?), then there would be no point in updating VP.

Why not collaborate? We have the CVS for software, why not apply that to tables to keep 'em stable? 

• Administrators

We have an idea that we are currently passing around that will help with the table modding issues.  We have a couple things to iron out and a gui to be written, but it should bypass any outdated table modding rules.

Archived