Last Action Hero Colorization

• Content Provider

@Terranigma : I've well received the files, thanks, I h'aven't checked the dump files yet, but I watched the video, and I was surprised to see the "skill shot" animation, as it is different from the one I have on my ROM !!!  I'm using 1.12, but it seems, that it is not the lasteste display file... ! 
I did see the Daat east, first not colored, and then blocked... so frustating considering the time I spent on it... ! I will correct that strating tonight... 

data-east.gif.18c97997413a5d866597cc451de16b34.gif

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, dtatane said:

@Terranigma : I've well received the files, thanks, I h'aven't checked the dump files yet, but I watched the video, and I was surprised to see the "skill shot" animation, as it is different from the one I have on my ROM !!!  I'm using 1.12, but it seems, that it is not the lasteste display file... ! 
I did see the Daat east, first not colored, and then blocked... so frustating considering the time I spent on it... ! I will correct that strating tonight... 

data-east.gif.18c97997413a5d866597cc451de16b34.gif

That's great you have found the issue. Hopefully it isn't too much to get it working on the latest display rom and also could explain why there is a few frames of just red instead of colour at the end of each scene.
I will be ready to test whenever you have something new. Thanks for the ongoing work!

That Data East coloured animation looks great :D 

• Content Provider

Thanks again @Terranigma for sharing the dump files.. I can move forward !

Attract mode has been changed to ColorMask Mode, and it should display "Tales from the crypt" with the right colors and continously. 
I've added the missing frames at the end of the skill shot sequence, displaying "skill shot" correctly.

The fact is that my recording is definitely on the right ROM but for any reason, the sync is so different from real pin to vpin that I miss a lot of frames :
- when it happens at the beginning of a sequence -> the color is not loaded correctly (it was the case in your dump with one DATA EAST logo in attract mode)
- when the colors were displayed, there's almost 10% of additional frames on realpin due to sync issues -> the color sequence is not long enough and the last frames displayed are, therefore, not colored

To correct that, I will switch as much sequences as possible to ReplaceSequence Mode, i already did :
- data-east logo
- skillshot
- dynamite feature (general animation when we see the flame going from left to right to lit the TNT)

Could you please give it a try and see if the red frames at the end of these sequences disappeared ?
If so, I'll go on resetting all the hashes of the sequences

• Content Provider

No problem. I am just on my way out but I will quickly test the new build for you for those changes now. I will report back in a few minutes.

Data East logo animation is still red. The next ones still get stuck.

The finger for the push start animation also is stuck same as before.

Tales from the crypt animation is GOOD! No red at the end now.

This is all I can test right now but I will be back later.

• Content Provider

To get rid of the sync problem it should help to split the scene into single frames and trigger them one by one, or use the layered color mask mode. With the single frame method you should also increase the delay time of each frame to maybe 500 or 1000. 

On 10/27/2020 at 3:37 PM, dtatane said:

To illustrate the differences, heres a slowed GIF of the frames recorded

REALPIN :

data-east-realpin.gif.dd8810e5d8100f58f18917d80c588136.gif

VPIN :

data-real_vpin.gif.9716058360b7d2d910c46ddfc4e89391.gif

you should try making the same capture from the Setup.exe  found in your PINMAME folder.

I always strip the table down to its basic components (No flashers, minimal lights  ,   no large scale  images or prims (unless they are called by the code)

this ensures that the table is  not putting a  large strain on my PCs resources.

• Content Provider
On 9/12/2020 at 7:14 AM, dtatane said:

TO DO / CHANGE LOG - EDIT 29/10 :
- crane jackpot : add keyframes
- world premiere countdown : to colorize 61/180 (at least) -> I should switch to LCM mode
- Double jackpot countdown : check mask & trigerring scenes (conflcit with danger bar or crane runaway) + some missing frames while the crane is going backwards to be tested
- LAH sequence : 
-- Hero + Last : to be recorded
-- Hero + Action : to be recorded

- smart missile : scene is not triggered sometimes -> to check and add additional frames
- Ripper blow-out countdown => initial colorization done.. I can't imagine agood solution. I'll keep that scene at the very end to find solution to improve it + added additionnal frames

I thought I recorded the last action hero scenes for you, if I missed them let me know and I can do them. 

• Content Provider

Yes, I did have all the scenes, I'm just missing a variation where you get action first, then, hero. I will have to record this one missing !
I've reset all keyframes for these sequences and all the variation.
I couldn't find a solution to colorize world premiere using LCM, so I did a basic colorization.

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, dtatane said:

Yes, I did have all the scenes, I'm just missing a variation where you get action first, then, hero. I will have to record this one missing !

Ok, would you like me to record that variation for you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hi @Terranigma

@Yopi has tried to update his realpin with the lastest file, but it seems the pin2dmd is stuck at the very beginning.  Did you have the chance to test the lastest file on yours ?

I've been spending some time converting the animations that were in "replace" Mode to "ReplaceSequence" Mode in order to have a better sync for the scenes, and hopefully get rid of the final frames that remain not colorized. Did you see any improvements ?
Could you please also confirm if the "catch the red eye" countdown and "find benedict" countdown scenes are colored ?

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, dtatane said:

Hi @Terranigma

@Yopi has tried to update his realpin with the lastest file, but it seems the pin2dmd is stuck at the very beginning.  Did you have the chance to test the lastest file on yours ?

I've been spending some time converting the animations that were in "replace" Mode to "ReplaceSequence" Mode in order to have a better sync for the scenes, and hopefully get rid of the final frames that remain not colorized. Did you see any improvements ?
Could you please also confirm if the "catch the red eye" countdown and "find benedict" countdown scenes are colored ?

I have been running the builds as I see them get updated but the last one I tried was dated the 19th November. I will be able to update to your latest tonight and go through everything and then give you a report.

Thanks

• Content Provider

Sorry for the delay, I'm running the latest build you have uploaded for real pin. I will add to this list as I go through the parts.

First off,  great updates. I can see a lot of new stuff in terms of improvements and scenes. Thank you. Below are what I have found so far.

- New issue - The initial words "Last Action Hero" animation now lag and look like they have dropped a lot of frames.

- First Data East logo animation is still red. The next ones still get stuck besides the one before the DCS animation.

- The DCS animation gets cut in half at the last frame

- The finger for the push start animation also is stuck same as before.

- Tales from the crypt animation is still good! No red at the end now.

- Participate in local tournaments repeats at the end.

- Don't Move animation, after he pulls back his gun a white square is left on the image.

- Second run of the above and the Last Action Hero lag is not presenting and the DCS animation is ok. Not sure why. I am compiling a video now.

- Find benedict scene has an initial scene but doesn't show a countdown. Just stays on "Shoot scoops to search for benedict" 

- Hitting the 3 eyes displays the correct scene but has a red frame at the end (Benedicts bonus boost)

- Chicken Car animation seems to be frozen with just the image of the car

- Wild Card animation doesn't look to be coloured. 

- Balls Draining animation not coloured? and has the red frame in between

- Scene with person holding a ball just has RA L letters

- Next Ramp 10 million running animation doesn't look fully coloured and some red frames in between

- M-Ball ready animation with cars, red frame appears when the 2 men with the machine gun and dynamite in hand are shown

- The Word "Match" at the end has a frame of red

• Content Provider

Hi,

Thanks for the new videos, it helps !

- New issue - The initial words "Last Action Hero" animation now lag and look like they have dropped a lot of frames. => link to new ReplaceSequence Mode.. not sure I may change back to previous mode...

- First Data East logo animation is still red. The next ones still get stuck besides the one before the DCS animation. => I 'll send you some files to check before modifying again my whole project

- The DCS animation gets cut in half at the last frame => ?

- The finger for the push start animation also is stuck same as before. => Modified to ColorMask, hope it'll help

- Tales from the crypt animation is still good! No red at the end now. => Changed to ColorMask, which is the best option when not havong to much colors.. !

- Participate in local tournaments repeats at the end. => Link to the ROM ??

- Don't Move animation, after he pulls back his gun a white square is left on the image. => changed the detection mask, should solve the issue

- Second run of the above and the Last Action Hero lag is not presenting and the DCS animation is ok. Not sure why. I am compiling a video now. 

- Find benedict scene has an initial scene but doesn't show a countdown. Just stays on "Shoot scoops to search for benedict" => issue starting the LCM mode, i'll send another file along DATA east logo, just to test the two scenes

- Hitting the 3 eyes displays the correct scene but has a red frame at the end (Benedicts bonus boost) -> added on TODO list

- Chicken Car animation seems to be frozen with just the image of the car -> not sure why

- Wild Card animation doesn't look to be coloured. => it was... I changed the colors (still has work to find out better looking colors...)

- Balls Draining animation not coloured? and has the red frame in between => added on TODO list

- Scene with person holding a ball just has RA L letters => added on TODO list (to chekc and add keyframes)

- Next Ramp 10 million running animation doesn't look fully coloured and some red frames in between => will be checking

- M-Ball ready animation with cars, red frame appears when the 2 men with the machine gun and dynamite in hand are shown => added one missing keyframe, should be ok

- The Word "Match" at the end has a frame of red => added a few extra frames, should colormask this if possible, let me know if you still have red frames in the end !

• Content Provider
11 hours ago, dtatane said:

Hi,

Thanks for the new videos, it helps !

- New issue - The initial words "Last Action Hero" animation now lag and look like they have dropped a lot of frames. => link to new ReplaceSequence Mode.. not sure I may change back to previous mode... I will test if you do

- First Data East logo animation is still red. The next ones still get stuck besides the one before the DCS animation. => I 'll send you some files to check before modifying again my whole project Thanks

- The DCS animation gets cut in half at the last frame => ? I will make a video

- The finger for the push start animation also is stuck same as before. => Modified to ColorMask, hope it'll help Will test and report back

- Tales from the crypt animation is still good! No red at the end now. => Changed to ColorMask, which is the best option when not havong to much colors.. !

- Participate in local tournaments repeats at the end. => Link to the ROM ?? This is the latest standard rom, I will make a video.

- Don't Move animation, after he pulls back his gun a white square is left on the image. => changed the detection mask, should solve the issue Will test and report back

- Find benedict scene has an initial scene but doesn't show a countdown. Just stays on "Shoot scoops to search for benedict" => issue starting the LCM mode, i'll send another file along DATA east logo, just to test the two scenes Will test and report back

- Hitting the 3 eyes displays the correct scene but has a red frame at the end (Benedicts bonus boost) -> added on TODO list

- Chicken Car animation seems to be frozen with just the image of the car -> not sure why Could be linked to the lag in the LAH Title animation

- Wild Card animation doesn't look to be coloured. => it was... I changed the colors (still has work to find out better looking colors...) Will test and report back

- Balls Draining animation not coloured? and has the red frame in between => added on TODO list

- Scene with person holding a ball just has RA L letters => added on TODO list (to chekc and add keyframes)

- Next Ramp 10 million running animation doesn't look fully coloured and some red frames in between => will be checking

- M-Ball ready animation with cars, red frame appears when the 2 men with the machine gun and dynamite in hand are shown => added one missing keyframe, should be ok Will test and report back

- The Word "Match" at the end has a frame of red => added a few extra frames, should colormask this if possible, let me know if you still have red frames in the end ! Will test and report back

Ready to test when you have a new update, thanks for the fast response! I have replied above in green.

• Content Provider

Sorry for the delay in getting this report, please see below tested on Dec 1 files. I have included testes from what you have changed below. 

- New Issue - The intro of the chopper freezes/lags and you only see the building, it then cuts to the target animation. Have made a video

- New issue - The initial words "Last Action Hero" animation now lag and look like they have dropped a lot of frames. => Still happening, Have made a video

- First Data East logo animation is still red. The next ones still get stuck besides the one before the DCS animation. => Still happening

- The DCS animation gets cut in half at the last frame => Have made a video

- The finger for the push start animation also is stuck same as before. => This now works correctly

- Tales from the crypt animation is still good! No red at the end now. => All working correctly

- Participate in local tournaments repeats at the end. => Link to the ROM ?? Have made a video

- Don't Move animation, after he pulls back his gun a white square is left on the image. => This now works correctly

- Find benedict scene has an initial scene but doesn't show a countdown. Just stays on "Shoot scoops to search for benedict" => issue starting the LCM mode, i'll send another file along DATA east logo, just to test the two scenes To be tested

- M-Ball ready animation with cars, red frame appears when the 2 men with the machine gun and dynamite in hand are shown => added one missing keyframe, should be ok-  To be tested

- The Word "Match" at the end has a frame of red => added a few extra frames, should colormask this if possible, let me know if you still have red frames in the end ! This now works correctly

Thanks!

•  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I tested the new files (I am in French rom) and the problems are :

- no animation for logo data east 

- when you have the scene with the helicopter there is always a red mask at the end

- the scene with Bénédicte the dog remains blocked on the screen

- the chicken scene remains frozen (before it worked well)

- the ripper scene remains frozen (before it worked well)

I only noticed that because I didn't play much :)