WIP - Tron Legacy - 64 Colors

peskopat

It won't be very complicated to modify the startup/closing scripts in Popper to copy the serum .dll OR Lucky's .dll when required depending on the table.  We'll just need to indicate in the game manager if the table requires Serum or Lucky, and the script will take care of overwriting the .dll with the correct version.

I sure hope NailBuster updates his dll to allow the use of SERUM created colorizations and PupVideos at the same time.  This TRON colorization is really great and adds to the enjoyment of the table.  Thanks for everything you guys are doing to make this hobby even better!

Edited by bushav

26 minutes ago, KRAKEN said:

It won't be very complicated to modify the startup/closing scripts in Popper to copy the serum .dll OR Lucky's .dll when required depending on the table.  We'll just need to indicate in the game manager if the table requires Serum or Lucky, and the script will take care of overwriting the .dll with the correct version.

great for those who use popper I suppose. sux for those of us who don't (desktop) :)

1 hour ago, Cliffy said:

great for those who use popper I suppose. sux for those of us who don't (desktop) :)

Good point.  Is it possible to copy files through the VPX script?  If not I guess a batch file would be the easiest, but keeping track of which table needs which .DLL could become a chore.

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, Cliffy said:

These scripts are available in PinballX too I guess.

And for those who don't use a frontend, you can write a .bat file (quite similar to the script) for each table

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, bushav said:

I sure hope NailBuster updates his dll to allow the use of SERUM created colorizations and PupVideos at the same time.  This TRON colorization is really great and adds to the enjoyment of the table.  Thanks for everything you guys are doing to make this hobby even better!

He did already, I think, he just needs to release it.

For the new system, the difficulty is that the PUP packs authors and the colorization authors should then work together for the firsts to request the seconds to set a trigger at that frame, another one here, etc... Or the colorization authors should just set a trigger for every new thing happening in the rom and make the list available to the PPacks authors.

• Content Provider
On 2/28/2023 at 9:46 AM, slydog43 said:

I don't see myself switching to a new format and thus a new DLL without a way to convert PAC to the new format.  Is there such a tool to convert PAC files?

I perfectly understand, really!

Just understand what is behind all that: With Serum, I just tried to do all that I can to propose a new format that is completely open-source. The ideal would be that the other format would be available through the same dll as it used to be, then you could, without any change, use both.

I created the ZeDMD to propose a really cheap real DMD to anyone, I have coded an open-source colorization that I give to the community. I don't earn even a single cent from any of them both. I think my approach is the right one, the one that is true to our hobby, true to VPX that is free and open-source, true to VPinMAME that is free and open-source. If I don't earn a thing from it, you can't even think about the fact that I have any interest other that being an open-source enthousiast and, as I say now and then, just a passionate programmer that would like to be useful!

4 hours ago, zedrummer said:

I perfectly understand, really!

Just understand what is behind all that: With Serum, I just tried to do all that I can to propose a new format that is completely open-source. The ideal would be that the other format would be available through the same dll as it used to be, then you could, without any change, use both.

I created the ZeDMD to propose a really cheap real DMD to anyone, I have coded an open-source colorization that I give to the community. I don't earn even a single cent from any of them both. I think my approach is the right one, the one that is true to our hobby, true to VPX that is free and open-source, true to VPinMAME that is free and open-source, if I don't earn a thing from it, you can't even think about the fact that I have any interest other that being an open-source enthousiast and, as I say now and then, just a passionate programmer that would like to be useful!

Don't think I and I hope all other appreciate very much all the hard work you have put into this project.  I love the idea that it is opensource and hope this gains momentum.  Its just very hard to switch and hope either a converter or this new format gets incorporated with more DLL's that are out there (lucky or freezy).  I get scared changing things up on my main pincab o play with new options.  Hope all the best and thanks for all that you have done.

I think I will play with the editor just to have some fun and see how hard it is to colorize a simple screen.

• Content Provider
16 hours ago, slydog43 said:

... hope this gains momentum...

I'm not perfectly bilingual, so I've learnt this expression and I'm gonna keep it as this is exactly what I'm looking for: To gain momentum with more and more colorization authors getting involved in the Serum format! Thanks.
Once again, if you want to try colorization, join the Discord channel https://discord.gg/aK2dNaB6xR, there is a kind and friendly atmosphere there with a trio of guys who are getting used to ColorizingDMD happy to help!

Here's an improved approach based on Kraken's feedback: https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/8398-serumpac-setup/

Here's the BAT file I created to work on my system.  Need to make sure you start with the SERUM dll's renamed dmddevicebak.dll & dmdextbak.exe and place them in your VPinMame folder.

If anyone knows how to make it run on start & exit on only the needed SERUM tables in Popper or can point me to some directions, please let me know.  Haven't had much luck in my search so far...

Edit: Got it in Popper.  I basically duplicated my Visual Pinball X emulator and created a VPX (SERUM) emu and added a line to run the BAT file on Launch & close(attached screenshot).  Then you need to go into games manager and accociate your SERUM tables with the new emulator you created.  Note: If the table doesn't close as expected, it won't revert back.  So if you are having issues after exiting a SERUM table abnormally, you'll need to run the BAT manually to get back to the state you need to be in.  Looks like there's some possiblities to run the BAT via the VPX script, but just skimmed the surface there.

PAC_SerumFlip.bat

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, Primetime5k said:

Here's the BAT file I created to work on my system.  Need to make sure you start with the SERUM dll's renamed dmddevicebak.dll & dmdextbak.exe and place them in your VPinMame folder.

If anyone knows how to make it run on start & exit on only the needed SERUM tables in Popper or can point me to some directions, please let me know.  Haven't had much luck in my search so far...

Edit: Got it in Popper.  I basically duplicated my Visual Pinball X emulator and created a VPX (SERUM) emu and added a line to run the BAT file on Launch & close(attached screenshot).  Then you need to go into games manager and accociate your SERUM tables with the new emulator you created.  Note: If the table doesn't close as expected, it won't revert back.  So if you are having issues after exiting a SERUM table abnormally, you'll need to run the BAT manually to get back to the state you need to be in.  Looks like there's some possiblities to run the BAT via the VPX script, but just skimmed the surface there.

PAC_SerumFlip.bat 561 B · 1 download

Capture.JPG

It could be done with the CUSTOM fields like you have.  Just put the word SERUM in your Custom3 field and add another section like your CUSTOM1 and CUSTOM2 sections that runs the batch file when SERUM is found in your CUSTOM3 field.  Make it copy the PAC DLLs when it's not a SERUM file.  If your CUSTOM3 field is already used (can't see above), then you could most likely do it by using the TAGS field.

1 hour ago, KRAKEN said:

It could be done with the CUSTOM fields like you have.  Just put the word SERUM in your Custom3 field and add another section like your CUSTOM1 and CUSTOM2 sections that runs the batch file when SERUM is found in your CUSTOM3 field.  Make it copy the PAC DLLs when it's not a SERUM file.  If your CUSTOM3 field is already used (can't see above), then you could most likely do it by using the TAGS field.

Thanks!  I started looking at those fields, but wasn't sure how to use them.  This would def be an better approach.  Then you don't have to mess with adding the extra emulator.

8 hours ago, zedrummer said:

Thanks for the tip @KRAKEN and @Primetime5k, would you mind adding it as a new topic here https://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/189-serum-dmd-colorization/ for those who could be interested, please? I think people may be afraid to use Serum if it means copying everytime the DLLs.

https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/8398-serumpac-setup/

Service with a smile! :)

-PT5K