cRom (aka Serum): a new open-source colorization file format

zedrummer

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 10:05 AM, dtatane said:

Some frames might seem lost until you colorized them. Once it's colorized, you will see them all. 

I'm working on a "mixed mode" for colorized and not colorized frames, with adjustable settings:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 3:56 PM, zedrummer said:

I don't know which was the first between Future Pinball and Visual Pinball, but was there someone at the time the second one was released to say "What is this exactly? Why do we need multiple emulators for vpin?  This is only going to confuse people even moreso."?

Please forgive the off-topic reply, but I wanted to answer the above question.

Future Pinball was released after VP and came about due to a similar situation with the colorizations.  If memory serves, Christopher Black wished to improve VP, but because it wasn't open-source at that point in time, so he couldn't and so he wrote FP as his vision of what a pinball emulator should be.

Now, in my experience with pinball emulation, there are 25 tables so far that only FP has, and that is the only reason that I keep FP around.  It has some nice features that VP doesn't, but I feel that it isn't as "intuitive" as VP is when it comes to the editor.

Edited by DJSpeedy
Added more text

• Content Provider

I noticed you also cant seem to use a serum color  file if you are using an vpmalias for a table. For example I have a Bigus mod of Scared Stiff and I use that with the b2s and my other version I use with a pup pack. So to keep them separate I create an vpmalias of SS_15bigus,SS_15 and in the table cgamename it is SS_15bigus.

In the past,  pal/vi and pac both worked fine when an alias was in use, but with the cRZ format it doesn't seem to work to place the cRZ in the altcolor folder with the same name as the alias cgamename in the table script.  

Is this expected or anyone else try this out yet?

Hello everyone I have done everything well and unfortunately impossible to have the colors of serum on my lcd I know that I am not the only one and impossible to know where the problem comes from. has by windows 11 can be. good luck to all of you, I'm giving up serum.

il y a 57 minutes, zedrummer a dit :

Bonjour @ chucky87

Avez-vous suivi les étapes ici? 

Il semble qu'il puisse y avoir des problèmes selon la façon dont vous avez installé VPX. Si vous avez suivi les étapes ci-dessus, avez-vous essayé avec Lucky1 DLL ?

oui j'ai bien suivi, mon ancienne version me  permettait  d'avoir les pal/vni et pac et si j'utilise la version 2 de dmdext plus rien et serum non plus. je n'ai pas trouvé une personne qui a réussi sous windows 11

ok so there's a problem with me. I've installed everything several times as said above and it doesn't work for me. I won't insist, I have no vni and pac for the moment and if everything can't work together, I prefer to wait. thank you very much and congratulations for your work. I'm going back to work on alien.

13 hours ago, chucky87 said:

ok so there's a problem with me. I've installed everything several times as said above and it doesn't work for me. I won't insist, I have no vni and pac for the moment and if everything can't work together, I prefer to wait. thank you very much and congratulations for your work. I'm going back to work on alien.

replace all your files, except for the dmddevice.ini with this version,

make sure to grab the files from the x86 folder for now:

works for all devices except for real zedmd.

Respect the heck out of this project, but the whole VPX community needs to do a better job with integration.  I have freezy pal extensions and lucky's pac extensions working great.  I copy over the relevant files from the dmd-extensions (sans the ini file) and now color doesn't work at all.  If you have pac and pal files already working, how does one install serum.  And I have no serum.dll files in my vpinmame directory.  Should I?

20 minutes ago, echodun said:

Respect the heck out of this project, but the whole VPX community needs to do a better job with integration.  I have freezy pal extensions and lucky's pac extensions working great.  I copy over the relevant files from the dmd-extensions (sans the ini file) and now color doesn't work at all.  If you have pac and pal files already working, how does one install serum.  And I have no serum.dll files in my vpinmame directory.  Should I?

Okay.  I got it to work, by merely copying over lucky's new files which incorporate serum.dll here - 

And then downloading the entire Microsoft Visual C++ library here - https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

I also added the specific table in my dmddevice.ini file as follows:

[ROM NAME]

pin2dmd enabled = true

Hope that helps someone coming off of lucky's pac work.

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, echodun said:

I guess people read the tutorials

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, echodun said:

Yeah, this is really helpful - "Be advised that installing dmdext, you could need extra installations to have PAC colorization files working"

This is helpful for the choices I made. I chose to defend the open-source side because I'm quite sure that this is the more stable and beneficial way for the community, so I propose freezy's dmddevice.dll.

If you made the political choice of the party "X" for long term ethical reasons, but there are things in the agenda of the party "Y" that would make people's life easier, you'd never say "X is better, but go vote for Y"!