cRom (aka Serum): a new open-source colorization file format

zedrummer

38 minutes ago, Dazz said:

Why do we need multiple formats for colorizations?

Because there is no open colorisation format today. It would have been better if others had decided to support open source. As this didn't happen, I think, this is a great chance for a real community project. 

• Content Provider

@Dazz Your question is interesting even if I can't understand why somebody (except perhaps Lucky1 himself) wouldn't consider a new format 100% open-source, as all other softwares in our vpin world, which doesn't change the habits as you just need to drop a file in the right subdirectory of "altcolor", which can perfectly coexist with any other format... as a chance. Perhaps it's because I'm French, but I've never heard someone saying that monopole is a good thing, I can't even imagine that someone bringing the open-source may be considered as the troublemaker.

I had in may a long exchange of personal messages with Lucky1 about his new PAC file format and my ZeDMD (a cheap real DMD I developed, in case you don't know) which seemed not to be working together. We are 6 months later and nobody who tried has succeeded in making it work. I told him that, as my ZeDMD totally lose its interest if there is no way for me to use the future colorizations, if his code is not open-source, I have no choice but to make my own format. 6 months later, I suppose... I hope this is not a big surprise...

I don't know which was the first between Future Pinball and Visual Pinball, but was there someone at the time the second one was released to say "What is this exactly? Why do we need multiple emulators for vpin?  This is only going to confuse people even moreso."?

No @Dazz, I don't consider myself as someone who is bringing confusion. You have any colorization file VNI/PAL, PAC or cRZ, drop it in the directory you are used to do it and enjoy.

In the exchange, I said several times to Lucky1 that I am grateful for what he's done. That's even why I refused to even run Pin2DMD before starting coding ColorizingDMD as I don't want to steal any idea or whatever. But it was the only way to make my ZeDMD survive and once again to bring the colorization in the open-source side, I am not (and won't be) ashamed for what I've done... And really don't understand why you think I should...

Edited by zedrummer

I don't believe there will be that much confusion since the only thing that's different is the file format, Everything else will be the same (Where all the files go)
The people that are making the color DMD's, If they put links in their download page that way people will know what they have to do

My opinion...

many thanx, for the creators of the open code dll´s...

many thanx, for the people, who open more Hardware ways...

many thanx, to the COLORIZERS... who bring the opportunity to  EVERYBODY, with pin2dmd, with zed dmd, with lcd screens and others, and want that EVERYBODY, enjoy their work.

A CLOSED FORMAT ?
NO THANX

4 hours ago, Dazz said:

What is this exactly? Why do we need multiple formats for colorizations?  This is only going to confuse people even moreso.

It's another colorization project with a different format. What's confusing about that?

There are multiple reasons why such a project would attract developers, colorization authors and consumers alike, and @zedrummer listed a few of them above.

Tenemos la suerte de contar con una de las comunidades donde más se trabaja para conseguir que vpin crezca y mejore.

Un montón de personas que de manera desinteresada, ya sea a modo de hobby o de entretenimiento, desarrollan todo lo relacionado con este mundillo de manera libre y desinteresada.
Entiendo que haya personas que quieran cobrar por su trabajo y que haya personas que paguen por él, pero entonces se pierde la esencia del hobby para convertirlo en un negocio.

Mi apoyo incondicional para todos los desarrolladores que nos hacéis disfrutar como niños. Con qué "poquito" se nos puede hacer felices.
ENHORABUENA por tantos momentos de felicidad compartida y que así siga!!

11 hours ago, Gwyllion said:

Is it possible the colorization authors get money for the pac format?

Sure. While it might not be implemented now, it can be done easily in the future. We have seen already how unencrypted files have been removed from sites like this. Encryption is just the first step into a paid model. 

• Content Provider

I'm not sure of that (and as I know 2 of them, I'm sure at least some are not), but if the only editor you have only generates these files, you have no choice but to use it. Monopole is never a good thing, I'm sure of that!

Edited by zedrummer

• Content Provider

I just wanted to give you my support for this great contribution to the pinball community. I think everything we do in order to add value to this hobby is great and we do it without profit. I respect people who work hard and get paid, but you also have to respect those who work hard and don't get paid.

• Content Provider

Congratulation for this project, your job is amazing !

And well done to the team that started to test and colorized with your format.

I hope we will see a result (dtatane seems to put a lot of effort on it) with a "complete" rom colorized.

But the examples are already amazing.

Well done !

• Content Provider

Excellent work @zedrummer!! open source projects is the way to go, and especially when this is a community project with no money involved, lot of success and hopefully many colorizations upcoming :D (I'm eager to see a good colorization of TWD LE)

• Content Provider

Thanks.

Really? Oops, if that's just after trying to open the txt, perhaps this dump file is corrupted...

The tuto should be over in a few days then I will have to spend time on some more debugging (even if thanks to dtatane, ebor and peskopat, a lot of errors were removed already).

1 hour ago, zedrummer said:

Thanks.

Really? Oops, if that's just after trying to open the txt, perhaps this dump file is corrupted...

The tuto should be over in a few days then I will have to spend time on some more debugging (even if thanks to dtatane, ebor and peskopat, a lot of errors were removed already).

Tried two different ROM dumps, same result... the software just closes without any errors.  (Cue Ball Wizard and Checkpoint).  I'll try it on another computer to see.