cRom (aka Serum): a new open-source colorization file format

zedrummer

• Content Provider

Could you share me your dump file to try, please?

There are no special high specifications needed for the PC: 64 bits, OpenGL, I think 4GB should be OK, but perhaps 6 is needed (I can not test)

Edited by zedrummer

6 hours ago, zedrummer said:

Could you share me your dump file to try, please?

There are no special high specifications needed for the PC: 64 bits, OpenGL, I think 4GB should be OK, but perhaps 6 is needed (I can not test)

I tested the same ROM dump on my cabinet and your program worked fine so it's not the dump.  On my laptop that it wasn't working, I have 24GB RAM, i7 processor with AMD video card so ithe specs shouldn't be an issue.  If you implement some sort of error logging in your program, I can generate an error log and send it to you so we can troubleshoot.

Just now, KRAKEN said:

I tested the same ROM dump on my cabinet and your program worked fine so it's not the dump.  On my laptop that it wasn't working, I have 24GB RAM, i7 processor with AMD video card so ithe specs shouldn't be an issue.  If you implement some sort of error logging in your program, I can generate an error log and send it to you so we can troubleshoot.  This is the ROM I was testing with:  

• Content Provider

The tutoriel is over, you may read it here https://www.pincabpassion.net/t15414-tuto-comprehensive-tuto-about-colorizingdmd

You just have to quickly create an account.

I edited the first post.

Don't hesitate to comment for bug report or if some parts are not clear enough.

Edited by zedrummer

42 minutes ago, zedrummer said:

So @KRAKEN : it closes when you load a dump (txt) file, right after clicking the file?

That is correct, after about a second it closes.  I had placed the files in a folder on my desktop but I just moved it to my D drive and it works now, so it had something to do about the file location.  Maybe it made the path too long or some permissions issue, although I'm logged in as administrator.

On 12/15/2022 at 9:42 AM, zedrummer said:

The tutoriel is over, you may read it here https://www.pincabpassion.net/t15414-tuto-comprehensive-tuto-about-colorizingdmd

I edited the first post.

Don't hesitate to comment for bug report or if some parts are not clear enough.

Thanks for the tutorial.  Are you planning on releasing a version that doesn't require me to register to the site to view the images and links? (resolved)

• Content Provider

Sorry, for the tutorial, I wanted it to be on my original community. Is that really a problem to create an account quickly? If so, I could try to put it somewhere else, but...

Edited by zedrummer

1 minute ago, zedrummer said:

I have asked the admin if he can do something for that @KRAKEN

Thanks.  The registration process is entirely in French, so the anglophone people may have issues with that.  Je suis Français Canadien, alors ça ne crée pas de problème pour moi... ;)

1 hour ago, usul27 said:

Is the documentation on the file format online already? I haven't seen any links yet, but I might have missed it.

There is a text file that comes with the download called formats.txt that explains the cROM format.

6 hours ago, digitalarts said:

Hi GeorgeH,

This new tool is based completely on ROM for the DMD content.

As far as I know no FP table ever used a Rom (even though since BAM this could theoretically be used)

You are correct.  I think many tables extract DMD content from the ROMs though.  

I read through the tutorial and am making some progress, but I know I'm not doing it right as I'm losing some frames when it runs the .cRZ file.  I also don't know what to do with all the fading that happens between different frames.  Hopefully, someone does a good video tutorial soon.

image.png.a95660e59626a311233376d88d4cf93c.png

• Content Provider

@KRAKEN

Good to see you're experiencing the software !

Some frames might seem lost until you colorized them. Once it's colorized, you will se them all. 

Depending on your ROM, when you dump the files, you have fading.. or what I call transition frames. You should skip them unless you feel it is really necessary for the fluidity of the sequence. HAving a look at the yellow figure (delay in ms) will help sometimes in identifying these frames.

You can also delete them if you'd like (it makes the bottom framestrip clean), but I would recommend you keep them at the early stages of your project.

delete-frame.thumb.png.ed03c284c2702eab842e1ccec590b896.png

Keep in mind that the same sequence could be played several times in the dump file. So if you colorized all the frames in a sequence, have a look later on in the dump, you might find additional frames for the same sequence. (You can use bookmarks/sections to navigate quickly from one point of the dump to the other). For example in scarred stiff project, I colored this transition frame for fluidify :

sections.thumb.png.34f8d9fb284ea61782e09a01b9a01c38.png

Do not hesitate to join the discord, we will be happy to help you kick start !

@zedrummerI sent a DM and reached out on discord to join the server...

I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the program and maybe it's to early, but here is my wishlist:  

- be able to give the masks a name instead of just a number.  I usually know which mask to re-use but having a description would make it easier to find the right one.

- radial gradient draw to properly shade spherical objects

- add section names on the toolbar (above icons).  I feel like this would have made the learning process easier.

-> Colorization Mode (Switch Mode, File/Disk, Colors, Drawing Mode, Tools, Dynamic, Bookmarks, Sprites, etc)

-> Same for Comparison/Identification and Sprite windows

- add tooltips when hovering the mouse cursor over buttons (again, would make the learning process easier)

- a toggle button to show only the "same frames" (the green frame numbers) in the frame strip.  Clicking this would hide any frames that are not detected as same.  Toggling the button again would show all frames.

Overall the program works very well and I'm looking forward to learning more.  Well done!