End of an Era

freezy

• freezy pinned this topic

I'm guessing a workaround/solution now would be to get color-authors to 'push' for the coloring tools/editor to allow export-to-legacy vni/pal/etc files.  That way it will work with current 'freezy' dmdext and future revisions(next gen).   So hopefully color authors can choose not to add the new DRM stuffs then if they choose.

If the color author only want $$$ then they can keep them private/commercial...and maybe after a while they may choose to release a community-friendly version of legacy files (ones that will work with open-source 'freezy' dmddevice.dll).

freezy - just want to chime in here and take the opportunity to thank you as well for all you have done and continue to do for the community.

Also, thanks for taking the time to explain what is transpiring. Unfortunate to say the least.

I support you Freezy, you have done a lot of amazing work, which me and many vpin users have loved when it comes to color dmd! I hope that there will be a solution , so that you can keep going with dmdext and 64 colors support for LCD/vpins. Best wishes! 👍

Unfortunately it always seems like for any person/group that has something awesome to share, there will always be some cretin(s) that will try to take advantage and profit off someone else’s hard work.  Some people just don’t have a conscience nor a soul.  I see the points from both sides knowing only the high level arguments.  I hope you can get things worked out.  In the meantime, I want to personally thank you for all your creativity, talent, and heart.  You help make this such an awesome hobby for so many people!

Thanks @freezy for this thorough post about what is really going on. I've always been the open source guy myself; but, well, my code is shit ;) Love you ❤️

I still hope that this can be resolved in the best possible way for the community. I really hope that your "last" suggestion can come through, though, I 'm now getting worried. Or - well, am I ? I still got a very well working install of the freezy in my cab and it works very well with the collection of vni/pal files I've already collected. I have no no real plans for "jumping the ship"; so to speak ... even though I got a beta of roadshow pac. For me, it would just feel wrong - starting to use the lucky1's version w/pac at this time.

Thanks for all your hard work and keeping things open source! New to the hobby and surprised to see such a mix of closed and open source working together fairly well (well, until this example). Most my career has been working with open source tools/libraries and can't agree more with your views above.  I had to laugh at the notion of a checksum value being IP! I was wondering what rationale was behind the vpforums takedown of colorized files.  Colorized DMD is cool, but I agree with you, spending time on VPE sounds WAY more fun! I only recently tried out colorizations and was really surprised to see they were for sale for real pins - seems like a niche solution in a small market.  To your point - this isn't a great hobby to get rich at :). Sorry you have to waste time on fighting such matters!

• Content Provider

It’s a shame to see this happen within the VPinball community. It’s all about having respect among developers and authors.   Freezy has made efforts to work this out with lucky

I hope lucky will reconsider and make the right decision to not illegally package his coloring project with a fork of freezy’s GPL licensed dmdext tool

• Content Provider

I really appreciate the transparency, and the history here. I agree with Freezy and Nailbuster, and thank you to everyone who continues to give free support or content to this wonderful hobby. 

Edited by Smaugdragon

• Content Provider

As a color author for three tables now with a fourth in the works, I can say that compensation for the real pin2dmd files hasn’t exactly been a second income. I did the colors for TFTC, Batman and Cirqus out of the love I have for my own VPin, and it was an actual perk to find out people would pay for their real table’s DMD. I haven’t updated my files to the PAC format yet and it looks like I won’t at this point. I’m not sure what’s the whole deal here, but it sounds like Lucky1 is running something that doesn’t agree with the VPin community. I’m for whatever the masses in the VP world need, not the real pin users. Thanks Freezy for everything you’ve done to catapult this hobby into new territory. I await what happens next. As of now I won’t be selling my files anymore to the real pin world. 

So sad to see the separation of two of the most brilliant people in this community. I only wish the best ethical outcome for the sake of the hobby and the people who are involved. Thanks for all your hard work, I ultimately hope this gets sorted out in the end with the sake of money behind the morals of our hobby.

Just to clarify one point in DRM: the new colorization files are encrypted using a unique key which is bound to the HW (actually the same key used to register pin2dmd firmware). So yes author need to provide each user with an encrypted set of files. 

At least this is the case for real pins

The most active colorization authors already made the transition. So I guess they do see the benefits of this architecture. 

That said, encrypting the virtual pin files is definitely not going to work on the long run (not sure how it can even work)

Edited by Ashram56

I appreciate all the hard work that everyone puts into this VPin community. The countless hours and heart and soul poured into the open source used in the community is amazing. I hope everyone can find a way to work things thru as the VPin community just grows and grows and that brings in new generations of coders developers and new players and even real pin owners into this wonderful hobby we cherish. 

Thank you all and I hope we can continue to see the increasing level of work that creates such amazing experiences for us all!!

I hope whatever final solution is implemented will allow for timely updates as new Pin2DMD features are developed.  Obviously, it's a difficult task without a dedicated caretaker integrating changes.

Thanks for the background information and all the good you and everyone else brings to us.

It would be a shame if VPE doesn't support colorisation, but I understand your point.  I still hope that you will implement the pindmd3 hardware for it.

Keep up the good working. And goodluck to the complete VPE dev team. I hope this doesn't delay anything for that project, as I'm looking forward for a long time to use it as an end user.

I refrained from updating to PAC thank goodness. I felt there was bad juju going around when the VNI/PAL files started disappearing. I did a lot of work on Batman Forever and can say that Lucky1 hasn’t tried to get me to pull down my files from the linked repository. I have no expectations of “receiving” compensation of any kind so anyone is free to use what I have done. It was just fun and rewarding and a good way to give back. 

please authors, find a way to keep this moving in the tradition of everyone helping each other. If it becomes closed source we are at the mercy of one persons health, interests, feelings, motives etc etc. 

I've been... reluctant to even look at what Lucky was doing with the new PAC format - it struck me as being a lot of extra pieces just to support a "better" format. It's really disheartening as he shows that, unfortunately, Noah at VPF was actually right about him on a certain level, and while it is the "broken clock is still right twice a day", it still annoys me that this is the case.

Lucky needs to show a more compelling reason than "colorization authors need to make money from physical pin owners" to make changing the license worth the effort.

I can fully understand not wanting to support colorization right now in VPE - Lucky added a LOT of added complexity to even attempting to support colorization, and given the extra noises being made on it lately, this is potentially poisoning the well in terms of colorization going forward.

...so, in the spirit of this, I will still not be upgrading to the mess that Lucky is making of the software. I'm also going to not use Pin2DMD for any pinball we may eventually purchase that has a DMD - I'd rather pay the premium to ColorDMD and not even make an attempt at DIY. The same goes for any effort at making a homebrew physical pinball - I'll just use a 4:1 LCD if I need something like a DMD.

Also, I now need to drastically rethink whether or not I use colorization on tables I stream on Twitch. The last thing I want to do is funnel potential new users into the absolute hot mess that installing colorization support now is.

And some more information: I was the guy who ran the coloring code on a real pin. Why? Because I needed to add features that are not available with Pin2DMD today. I didn't really use the dmdext algorithms, but basically the data structures. The only reason to do so was the fact that no other documented file format was available and requests for it were refused.
It had nothing to do with being a "copycat", but the simple fact that contributions weren't even welcomed (and the fact that I won't contribute to projects that are closed source and charge for it). 
I even agreed NOT to publish my colorisation code.

The code (today WITHOUT the colorisation) is GPL-licensed. The initial code was under an MIT license and I usually prefer this license, because I like to give other developers the full freedom. However after I saw what happened here with dmdext, I changed the license to GPL. And it is quite clear to me that dynamically linking closed-source coe with a GPLv3 library is illegal. 

There's another thing that you should be aware: If authors require to be paid for their colorisations (that's NOT "donations", but simply payments), this might end up also in VPins. A closed source API with encrypted content can potentially be used for this. The fact that it's not today doesn't mean it won't be tomorrow.  Nobody knows.

I would rather like to see people creating colorisations because it's fun than to make money (and let's be clear here: nobody will become rich with some colorisations). But sometimes the world isn't as you like it to be 😉
Unfortunately in the "Realpin" community there are some interesting projects that started as open sources and ended up as closed source some time later. Luckily, there are still some great open source pinbal projects around and I hope it will become much more in the future. I definitely see a a growing community of developers creating interesting projects. Therefore I'm quite optimistic that this will happen.

Some of my stuff can be found on Github:

https://github.com/pinballpower

Disclaimer: In my "real life" I make money from hardware. Therefore, it might be possible that some software projects come up in the future that run on hardware that's not open source for various reasons (one might be recycling function blocks from other projects that are not open source). 

Edited by usul27