New version! Pin2Dmd dmddevice.dll with DmdExt as plugin

lucky1

• Content Provider
41 minutes ago, timhobbs said:

it kinda makes it look like you may be doing it for your own bank account.

Accusations like this make me really angry !! Do you really think I take sick children as an excuse to fill my bank account ? If I needed the money why not just take it.

Ask hauntfreaks ! I sent him the latest bank transfers as a "proof of greed" You are in good company there !!

46 minutes ago, timhobbs said:

it could seem a little shady that you are basically hijacking open source code

So using a API interface of a open source DLL to send data to it is hijacking and shady ?

I only added missing functions to it and published those changes in my fork.

Oh about the change from dmddevice.ini to dmdext.ini. The reason for that is to have the possibility to run another freezy as dmdscreen.dll with its own settings which is needed for Gottlieb StrikesNSpares wich has two 128x32 displays and in the same time have them coexisting without interference.

• Content Provider
30 minutes ago, Retsamikit said:

Please, dear developers, don't let it fail at the end because of something stupid like pride.
My humble opinion. - And lots of thanks for the great work of both of you.. 🙂

We a currently discussing about how to continue . I´m confident we will find a way.

• Content Provider

Thanks to you all for the huge work you already made, and the one you continue to make. Hopefully, you'll come to an agreement that will go as usual in the right direction for everybody.

Edited by zedrummer

2 hours ago, timhobbs said:

a little shady that you are basically hijacking open source code - it kinda makes it look like you may be doing it for your own bank account.

You've been a member of this forum for about a month.  Making a statement like this kinda makes you look like a dope.  Proceeds for his work go to charity.  Listen more - spout off less.

These 2 guys are pillars of this community - let them work it out themselves and meantime be happy you have a 64-color DMD.

I don't think anyone is doing this for the money. But I am truly amazed at how quickly things are progressing since I first installed some vpin tables. You can truly see there are some really passionate and talented pinball players out there. It shows in their work. None of us are knocking on their doors offering cash. However, if somehow this all gets picked up and put into a really easy to use package and gets sold commercially one day, I will be the first to buy it legit. The community developers deserve it. I just wish I could convince more people to play pinball. I didn't realize how many people don't like pinball or have no interest in it until I built my cab. Everyone goes to the arcade cabinet or would just rather have a cocktail. 😑

• Content Provider
On 5/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, lucky1 said:

We a currently discussing about how to continue . I´m confident we will find a way.

I am happy to read this! I had no idea of all the background that could produce such drama and I can understand the concerns of both sides. I'm confident there must be a way to make everyone involved happy. I've switched all files to pac believing I'm doing it for the good, but I'm willing to provide the files in whatever format the matter demands. Please keep us posted!

• Content Provider
20 hours ago, drady said:

Really appreciate the amazing work. Is there a way to filter or list dmd that have been upgraded to pac? Perhaps its own category?

All the colorizations uploaded since LOTR 27. April 2022 until now are in pac format.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, lucky1 said:

All the colorizations uploaded since LOTR 27. April 2022 until now are in pac format.

Your content or all dmd publishers?

Edited by drady

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, drady said:

You all or publishers?

Not sure I understand you right. All colorization files uploaded by the authors since april 27th are in .pac format.

• Content Provider
47 minutes ago, zedrummer said:

Is there a reason for that? I mean, is there a reason to impose the new format PAC from the people doing the colorization?

Aside from the technical reason for this mentioned in the first post, one additional reason is that there are individuals out there trying to take advantage of the 100th of hours of works of others without contributing anything noteworthy to it.

After some clever businessmen had the idea to sell displays including colorizations without giving credits to the colorization authors, I was asked from the authors if I could do something to prevent this. Together with Steve45 I introduced the real pin export which is bound to the hardware ID of the pin2dmd device.

Just recently there were attempts to use vpin exports together with GPL code from freezy for real pinball machines, which was a slap in the face of the colorization authors who invested 100s of hours to create these colorizations and published them as VNI/PAL  for VPIN USERS ONLY.  The .pac format allows the authors to prevent such misuse and continue their work as motivated as before and continue to provide their vpin exports for free.

Now I have updated my vpin to the new files and replaces the vni/pal files with the pac files.

Colorization works fine with my PinDMDv3.

But I have the issue, when I quit a table, that VPX 1.7 crashes very often after quitting a table (Random tables).

For normal tables, I think, it's no problem (frontend quits every table), but if I run an table with PuP, the PuP is still running after crashing vpx.

It seems, it's something with the PinDMDv3 clearing. I attached samples from application eventlog. If I run only the virtual DMD, I'm not able the reproduce this.

When I go back to freezy 10.2, I'm not able to reproduce this too

Crash.txt

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, howlingmad said:

Now I have updated my vpin to the new files and replaces the vni/pal files with the pac files.

Colorization works fine with my PinDMDv3.

But I have the issue, when I quit a table, that VPX 1.7 crashes very often after quitting a table (Random tables).

For normal tables, I think, it's no problem (frontend quits every table), but if I run an table with PuP, the PuP is still running after crashing vpx.

It seems, it's something with the PinDMDv3 clearing. I attached samples from application eventlog. If I run only the virtual DMD, I'm not able the reproduce this.

When I go back to freezy 10.2, I'm not able to reproduce this too

Crash.txt 10.76 kB · 1 download

Sounds like a timing issue. Please try this testing version to see if it gets better.

Application: VPinballX.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
   at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
   at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.EndWrite(System.IAsyncResult)
   at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Write(Byte[], Int32, Int32, Int32)
   at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Write(Byte[], Int32, Int32)
   at LibDmd.Output.PinDmd3.PinDmd3.ClearDisplay()
   at LibDmd.RenderGraph+<>c.<ClearDisplay>b__74_0(LibDmd.Output.IDestination)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].ForEach(System.Action`1<System.__Canon>)
   at LibDmd.RenderGraph.ClearDisplay()
   at LibDmd.RenderGraphCollection+<>c.<ClearDisplay>b__15_0(LibDmd.RenderGraph)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].ForEach(System.Action`1<System.__Canon>)
   at LibDmd.RenderGraphCollection.ClearDisplay()
   at LibDmd.DmdDevice.DmdDevice.Close()
   at PinMameDevice.DmdDevice.InternalCloseDevice(DeviceInstance)
   at PinMameDevice.DmdDevice.Close()

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, howlingmad said:

Application: VPinballX.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
   at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
   at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.EndWrite(System.IAsyncResult)
   at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Write(Byte[], Int32, Int32, Int32)
   at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Write(Byte[], Int32, Int32)
   at LibDmd.Output.PinDmd3.PinDmd3.ClearDisplay()
   at LibDmd.RenderGraph+<>c.<ClearDisplay>b__74_0(LibDmd.Output.IDestination)
   at LibDmd.RenderGraph.ClearDisplay()
   at LibDmd.RenderGraphCollection+<>c.<ClearDisplay>b__15_0(LibDmd.RenderGraph)
   at LibDmd.RenderGraphCollection.ClearDisplay()
   at LibDmd.DmdDevice.DmdDevice.Close()
   at PinMameDevice.DmdDevice.InternalCloseDevice(DeviceInstance)
   at PinMameDevice.DmdDevice.Close()

Please try this combination

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, howlingmad said:

With this version, no DMD is showing (wether the PinDMDv3 or the virtual DMD)

Please replace both dmddevice.dll and dmxExt.dll with the ones from the zip file

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

Please replace both dmddevice.dll and dmxExt.dll with the ones from the zip file

pindmdv3.zipFetching info...

Thanks lucky

OK. With the Version, PinDMDv3 and virtual DMD works again.

I tried several tables without PuP-Packs, no Problems or crashes.

But now all tables with PuP-Packs crashes with something dmddevicepup.dll related (see crash-txt) and disappears, when I disable "send frames to pinup", but logically, no PuP-Pack works.

Crash.txt

• Content Provider

Thanks lucky

OK. With the Version, PinDMDv3 and virtual DMD works again.

Seems that was a hidden treasure in Freezy . 

But now all tables with PuP-Packs crashes with something dmddevicepup.dll related (see crash-txt) and disappears, when I disable "send frames to pinup", but logically, no PuP-Pack works.

That was related to the testing version. Should not happen in the version I uploaded to github

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/integration/pinmame

I've got .pac files working fine with the new dmddevice.dll and other files.  However, I was playing the Tommy VPW table (which does not have a colorization that I've seen) and noticed that the DMD was not displaying correctly.  One of the levels (4 I believe) was not displaying at all, so things like the video mode all had a black background.  I replaced the dmddevice.dll from this with the freezy one and the Tommy DMD displayed correctly again.  This is on an LCD, not a real DMD.  Any ideas or need more info?