directb2s not 'on-top' when using Small Button Option? *Solution* New B2S Server update!

jarr3

30 minutes ago, Retsamikit said:

Tested 1312.. Desktop User.. all Backglasses do work well. Can someone please describe the new possibilities with a how to and example?

Yes, please Cliffy tell us how you do that! Maybe zip it all up and put it here. Maybe I can include it in the package somehow.

/Jarr3

54 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

Ooops. I did the 4gb patch first thing jarr :) I'm guessing it won't harm anything. so far its looking great.  I posted on vpf how much I love that us desktop users can now use some of those fancy 2 and 3 screen B2S and using screenres.txt we can have two active screens running. Lovin' it!

As Retsamikit writes above, can you please describe how you configure this? I want to describe how to in the documentation :)

24 minutes ago, jarr3 said:

As Retsamikit writes above, can you please describe how you configure this? I want to describe how to in the documentation :)

Its a simple matter of using the screenres.txt to position the screens. In the King Kong example here is my screenres.txt

You see the backglass sized 552x310 on display #1 and its positioned to the right at pixel 1368 (1368+552=1920)

The DMD, or whatever the extra screen happens to be in the db2s file, is sized same 552x310 and positioned top of the screen at 0 but is moved to the LEFT by using a NEGATIVE value, in this case -1368 (1920-552=1368)

Since I have the dmd to the upper left I do not need the dmd in the backglass so I right click on the glass and hide the DMD.  You can, of course, also do this in the B2STableSettings.xml and here is the king kong specific section that shows this. You'll see the backglasses dmd hidden (1) while the B2S dmd is not (0). This allows it to show and therefore be manipulated in the screenres.txt

<kiko_a10>
    <HideGrill>2</HideGrill>
    <HideB2SDMD>0</HideB2SDMD>
    <HideDMD>1</HideDMD>
    <LampsSkipFrames>1</LampsSkipFrames>
    <SolenoidsSkipFrames>3</SolenoidsSkipFrames>
    <GIStringsSkipFrames>3</GIStringsSkipFrames>
    <LEDsSkipFrames>0</LEDsSkipFrames>
    <UsedLEDType>2</UsedLEDType>
    <IsGlowBulbOn>0</IsGlowBulbOn>
    <GlowIndex>-1</GlowIndex>
    <StartAsEXE>1</StartAsEXE>
    <StartBackground>0</StartBackground>
    <FormToFront>1</FormToFront>
    <FormToBack>0</FormToBack>
    <Animations />
  </kiko_a10>

Here is a complete version of ScreenRes with the Data from Cliffy. I took the example from bs2 server 1.3.1.2 an filled and changed the Data. I still play with it. Its easier for me to edit the stuff when I see what I do, the comments are helping me.

# HD Example for 1920x1080
# Playfield Screen resolution width/height
# Backglass Screen resolution width/height
# Backglass Display Devicename screen number (\\.\DISPLAY)x for the Playfield or screen on position (@x) or screen index (=x)
# x position for the backglass relative to the upper left corner of the Playfield screen
# y position for the backglass on the selected display (Normally left at 0)
# width/height of the DMD area in pixels - For 3 screen setup
# X/Y position of the DMD area relative to the upper left corner of the backglass screen - For 3 screen setup
# Y-flip, flips the LED display upside down
# X/Y position pos when StartBackground is active, relative to upper left corner of Playfield ("Small" Button in the Options)
# width/height of the backglass when StartBackground is active 
# C:\path\Frame = The path to the location where you have the background image, it is called "small" button in the settings.
C:\path\my_bezel_for_EM_or_grill_for_dual_screen.png

You can use these lines and put them into a txt file. Older Versions of b2s server will have problems with the comments. Backup your old txt for testing and please report errors.

Edited by Retsamikit

3 hours ago, Retsamikit said:

Here is a complete version of ScreenRes with the Data from Cliffy. I took the example from bs2 server 1.3.1.2 an filled and changed the Data. I still play with it. Its easier for me to edit the stuff when I see what I do, the comments are helping me.

You can use these lines and put them into a txt file. Older Versions of b2s server will have problems with the comments. Backup your old txt for testing and please report errors.

Cool, I like that. And as you say, I believe the comments help while editing the file. I chatted with PinballX author and asked him to add support for them, and he added it in the latest release. There might be some tools to edit these files which does not yet support the comments, but the tool B2S_ScreenResIdentifier.exe available here on the site (an older version) an updated version is included with the download.

@Retsamikit Could you please help me test the last pre-release, so that I can release it soon?

Sure, @jarr3 but I as a Desktopper I only can check the things related to my installation. And: My Res-txt is not tested with 3Screen Backglasses, I was searching in my table folder but I do not use such a file at the moment. Still have to optimize.. Screenrezidetifier helps a lot, if it only could work with comments. Would be nice. So I open the file from identifier and copy the nummers I need .. handwork 🙂

It also would help if the identifier could read a res txt and show the settings..

Edited by Retsamikit

21 minutes ago, jarr3 said:

So you do not like to have the comments added?

Oh of course add comments jarr! I wasnt referring to the screenres.txt file in that regard. I was explaining to retsamikit that screenresidentifier will write to the screenres and therefore he should (all of us should) make a backup in case of undesirable changes 

12 hours ago, Retsamikit said:

Sure, @jarr3 but I as a Desktopper I only can check the things related to my installation. And: My Res-txt is not tested with 3Screen Backglasses, I was searching in my table folder but I do not use such a file at the moment. Still have to optimize.. Screenrezidetifier helps a lot, if it only could work with comments. Would be nice. So I open the file from identifier and copy the nummers I need .. handwork 🙂

It also would help if the identifier could read a res txt and show the settings..

I believe it does? You can even take a TableName.res file and "throw" or "dragNdrop" on top of the B2S_ScreenResIdentifier.exe -> it should load it and move it's windows accordingly.

Only thing missing... It currently does not know about the "small" background feature, but at least it doesn't touch them.

A new 1.4.0 pre release available here https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/releases/tag/b2s-backglass-215c1b7

Hope you do not mind to test, I do not want to make 1 screen support break :)

- Add additional setting FormToBack complementing FormToFront. Now three states available:
   1. "Standard" setting (both FormToBack and FormToFront turned off) is now as it was in 1.3.0.6. -> formDMD isn't controlled by the FormToFront/Back setting
   2. FormToFront sets the flag Form.TopMost = True -> cannot get any other window on top
   3. FormToBack, forces the forms to the back and ignores any try to get them come forward -> Windows stay in back. The B2S Server is not available in the taskbar anymore.
- Merge some more settings from the dll version.
- Make sure LED "D" (Digit) updates from VPinMame is forwarded to all plugins. thanks to rdowens11vx!
- Make the B2SBackglassServerEXE Large Address Aware by changing the build flags for x86 builds (x86 to AnyCPU). No need to patch 4GB anymore!
- B2S_ScreenResIdentifier: turn on/off saving of comment lines in the ScreenRes files. Any manual entered comments will still be overwritten!
- B2S_ScreenResIdentifier: Correctly extract resolution of 4K Screens.
- Updates of the documentation on the Github page

Tested 1.4.0 Pre on Desktop: Rocky and Bullwinkle, Swords of Fury, Flintstones with Pup, Munsters with Pup, Party Zone. Pup Packs are running fine, Backglasses do not have any changes. I use Form to Top, works in any Case.
Not tested: 3 Screen Backglass with one Screen Settings or Form to back. Need to find a test-backglass and I do not have proper settings for this in screenres.txt, working on it. If I only had enough time today..

If anyone works with screenresidentifier its a good idea to start identifier exe in a extra own folder. At the end the settings the settings-txt will be written into this folder. So you can be sure that your settings are not overwritten.
Just open the new settings txt with an editor and use the numbers for your original res txt inside your table folder. (But, its always nice to have a backup) 🙂

Edited by Retsamikit
spelling

Just tried King Kong and still working great with the split out b2s screens in desktop mode. I have to try this on more games, just no time lately

Here's a new thing though- I just ran JP's v4 Party Zone and the backglass popped up on top as expected. I wanted to send it to the back so right click, send form to back, save settings, as usual. Here's the funny thing though, instead of hitting escape to remove the backglass (instead of restarting) - This time I left clicked on the glass and before I could hit escape the glass went to the back! NICE!

Investigating a strange issue: If I start the table with f5 from pinballfx, Flex DMD is hidden behind the backglass. If I "put it on top with alt-tab", it moved behind the backglass when selecting the table again. Strange, because, if I start the same table from within PinballY, Flex is on Front of the backglass. (With Settings bring to Front) I tried the "default" setting, same behavior. Have the table grill and moved the DMD on top of the backglass. Will do more checks on satureday..

Yet another new 1.4.0 pre release available here https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/releases/tag/b2s-backglass-f374e2d

It should change anything for you. I did minor reverts that hopefully fixes some strange behavior with Shrek + PUP,  tested by kalman on discord.

What happens is the pup pack plays without closing and vpx crashes, this happens through popper , I tried directly through vpx and it worked fine

Other changes are the B2S_ScreenResIdentifier which has got some small additions 

Thankyou to @jarr3 and @Cliffy for your work and help to let me configure backglass, dmd-underlay and a dmd on a single desktop window.
Now only the playback of video is missing 😆👏 I remember when I originally installed vpx and thought I would never get to see a backglass. It was a long way from there to here.

it.jpg

Edited by Retsamikit

@jarr3 I was taking wildmans backglass with full DMD to test the 3-screen setup on my desktop. Took a little bit of time to position the Windows. Now I managed to have wildmans backglass on the upper left side and the included full dmd window is positioned on the upper left side. I only have to move the Flex-Scores right on its place. But, the upper right full DMD window is always hiding behind the table. If I alt-tab the dmd to front it shows nice, with Flex DMD on top, but it is hiding again, when I select the table to play. The DMD window is shown for a short time, when the table starts, then it goes back.
Now the funny part:
When i click on the left backglass, the DMD window comes to front. Selecting the table again, it goes back again.
A right click on the backglass opens the settings. When I click close, and select the table, DMD goes back again.
But: A right click on the backglass and SAVE and close - no settings changed - the DMD window stays on top - ready to play.
Do you have any suggestions?
I use 1.4.0 Pre

it.jpg

Hi, I believe that the VPX window and the other windows now "fight" who is on top... I guess that has to become next release...

how have you set the screen in VPX?

And what is now different from your first mail with IT?

this is the version ? b2s-backglass-f374e2d (important info)

/Jarr3

First Setup uses the png file, that comes with the table and the backglass, that comes with the table. I put the DMD png in my tables folder and put the path at the end of the file:
Both setups use bring form to front and small button.

# HD Example for 1920x1080 IT - Original Backglass and full DMD picture
# Backglass Display Devicename screen number (\\.\DISPLAY)x for the Playfield or screen on position (@x) or screen index (=x)
# x position for the backglass relative to the upper left corner of the Playfield screen
# X/Y position of the DMD area relative to the upper left corner of the backglass screen - For 3 screen setup
# X/Y position pos when StartBackground is active, relative to upper left corner of Playfield ("Small" Button in the Options)
# C:\path\Frame = The path to the location where you have the background image, it is called "small" button in the settings.
D:\Visual Pinball\Tables\IT Pinball Madness (JP Salas,Joe Picasso).png

For wildmans full dmd backglass I changed the x-y pos of the DMD area and the sizes. Have a look:

# HD Example for 1920x1080 - It - with wildmans full dmd backglass
D:\Visual Pinball\Tables\IT Pinball Madness (JP Salas,Joe Picasso).png

Edited by Retsamikit

Hi,

just tried something similar:

1989814467_2022-10-3120_08_50-VisualPinballPlayer.thumb.jpg.46255da4cc09cc3eae9e9c9ea24431b6.jpg

As stable as can be... I can press on the VPX window, backglass, Full-DMD or DMD. No window jumps anywhere.

Not completely true. Full DMD and DMD switches back and fourth.

Here are my settings

image.png.1fd1c853aebb3d63348c8631eb5c6409.pngimage.png.3f8f4ce579bdcc9493742796702b9a93.png

I also tested your res file, and got a similar effect. VPX stays behind. Only Backglass background and DMD compete each other.

got the same settings in vpx. Windowed full, form to top.
Version 1 with original Backglass and fulldmd png is more stable for me. backglass and fulldmd png are always on top.  Ill keep it. (and backup the wildman settings to change it)

it1.jpg

Edited by Retsamikit