directb2s not 'on-top' when using Small Button Option? *Solution* New B2S Server update!

jarr3

I am testing the "Small Button Option" on directb2s settings together with a screenres.txt file.

It seems to me as the directb2s is rather put "on-top" now even if I turn it of in the settings. So when I use my directb2s together with pup videos, the videos are drawn behind the directb2s.

Has anyone similar problems, or maybe a solution to this?

I am now working on updating B2S Server to allow PuP Videos to run in front of the Backglass even when the "Small Button Option" is activated.

Especially for 2 Screen setups, it allows me to have different backgrounds per table or per table type all defined in the TableName.res file.

So for all tables using a FullDMD setup like the example below, I define the back ground to be a Spike type grill and make sure the PuP FullDMD is painting inside the DMD window. 

Older SS tables will have a smaller grill, which fit a normal DMD style screen and for older EM tables without DMD, the backglass will fill the full screen. 

I have included 2 small screenshots how it looks before and after my change. I am still working on some smaller changes before releasing. (if there is any interest)

What do you think? Can it be of use also for other setup's than my 2 screens?

BeforeUpdate.png

AfterUpdate.png

• jarr3 changed the title to directb2s not 'on-top' when using Small Button Option? *Solution* New B2S Server update!

Did another update today:

Changelog:

• The FormToFront setting now also works correctly when having the StartBackground setting turned on.
  • The background and backglass are in sync independent of how FormToFront is set (background should not hide backglass)
  • Lines starting with "#" is ignored when reading the ScreenRes.txt or TableName.res files. Now possible to do like this:

(ScreenRes.txt)

# Playfield Screen resolution width/height
# Backglass Screen resolution width/height

• StartBackground can now also be set globally in the B2STableSettings.xml (but there is no GUI available). When set globally, the GUI will only save StartBackground on table level when they differ:

(B2STableSettings.xml)

<B2STableSettings>
  <StartBackground>1</StartBackground>
  <afm_113>
     <StartBackground>0</StartBackground>
  </afm_113>
</B2STableSettings>

• Let the 3rd Screen (formDMD) also be controlled by the FormToFront setting

The new release up on vpforums.

My changes do not help for the alphanumeric displays, when there are more than 2 of them to be displayed they still land behind the B2S Screen.

We would need support from more people to test and propose solutions...

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2022 at 8:19 PM, Retsamikit said:

(Always keep Desktop Users in Mind.. Now I must use DMDext to get a backglass in front, If a table does not allow to activate it, I have no backglass )

Hi,

I hope you do not mind if I let people actually using Desktop to test the new features.

Even better if someone using Desktop, to throw up Visual Studio (Free edition) and support. It is actually not that hard (even I managed to do it ;)

What is hard though is to get all different ways' how the B2S Server is used work.

What we have now:

Desktop or Tab

With or without PUP Video

With Background on/off

and so on, the list grows all the time...

I have added the last build (BETA!) I did yesterday of the changes I have committed to Toxie, for the upcoming release. Please test and come back with a thorough description, what is wrong, with screenshots. 

And if possible please try to get Visual Studio going. I can support here if needed...

B2S1.3.1.1BETA.zip

First feedback: Checked with four of my tables. I switched off DMDext and loaded. -> Stunning. All Backglasses went to front on my single screen Desktop. Hurray! Thats good news for Beginners and all Desktoppers - no more alt-tab to bring the backglass to front.
Backglasses took me a few days to run, when I began. Most of Newbies will start with a Desktop Installation, I think no one would first build a cabinet and then start to look for the programm. If your changes do work, it will be a big step for the usability of VPX because Beginners will have vpinmame (Basic Scores) and a Backglass without having big troubles. This way, newcomers have a first sense of achievement more quickly. This is quite important to get them hooked and not scare them away. (HAR HAR HAR HAR)
Its a small step for a backglass, but a giant leap for VPX 🤡
I will check more tables tonight and report any troubles.
What is B2S_ScreenResIdentifier.exe for? How do I use it?

Edit: checked the loading of about 12 Tables. Originals, VPM and some with pup packs. Found no Problems so far. 😍
Config: VPX 10.7.0 Final, Flex, Freezys original DMDext, Desktop HD.

Edited by Retsamikit

On 5/17/2022 at 12:49 PM, Retsamikit said:

First feedback: Checked with four of my tables. I switched off DMDext and loaded. -> Stunning. All Backglasses went to front on my single screen Desktop. Hurray! Thats good news for Beginners and all Desktoppers - no more alt-tab to bring the backglass to front.
Backglasses took me a few days to run, when I began. Most of Newbies will start with a Desktop Installation, I think no one would first build a cabinet and then start to look for the programm. If your changes do work, it will be a big step for the usability of VPX because Beginners will have vpinmame (Basic Scores) and a Backglass without having big troubles. This way, newcomers have a first sense of achievement more quickly. This is quite important to get them hooked and not scare them away. (HAR HAR HAR HAR)
Its a small step for a backglass, but a giant leap for VPX 🤡
I will check more tables tonight and report any troubles.
What is B2S_ScreenResIdentifier.exe for? How do I use it?

Edit: checked the loading of about 12 Tables. Originals, VPM and some with pup packs. Found no Problems so far. 😍
Config: VPX 10.7.0 Final, Flex, Freezys original DMDext, Desktop HD.

That sounds great, that we finally got it to work on Single Screen Desktop!

The B2S_ScreenResIdentifier is an (still unfinished) tool to edit B2S Settings. It is supposed to help you edit these ScreenRes files. You can start it once you have a ScreenRes.txt file next to it, or you drop any other *.res file on the B2S_ScreenResIdentifier.exe in explorer and it will edit this one instead.

Though B2S_ScreenResIdentifier is far from complete, so use with care. I just synced some of the changes of the other components into B2S_ScreenResIdentifier, so that it also reads comment lines of the ScreenRes files and other small things.

On 3/12/2022 at 8:57 AM, jarr3 said:

I am now working on updating B2S Server to allow PuP Videos to run in front of the Backglass even when the "Small Button Option" is activated.

Especially for 2 Screen setups, it allows me to have different backgrounds per table or per table type all defined in the TableName.res file.

So for all tables using a FullDMD setup like the example below, I define the back ground to be a Spike type grill and make sure the PuP FullDMD is painting inside the DMD window. 

Older SS tables will have a smaller grill, which fit a normal DMD style screen and for older EM tables without DMD, the backglass will fill the full screen. 

I have included 2 small screenshots how it looks before and after my change. I am still working on some smaller changes before releasing. (if there is any interest)

What do you think? Can it be of use also for other setup's than my 2 screens?

BeforeUpdate.png

AfterUpdate.png

Jarr3 - I'm a 2 screen Cabinet user who has Pup Player and DMD working now for tables like Batman66 and Munsters.

Without knowing the exact versions of db2s, I don't get my backglass screen looking like GOTG in your example above......  Are there exact steps I need to take to make Batman66, GOTG, Munsters load like your example and then with JJP tables like WOZ just released, not display Stern-like speakers and DMD area?

TT11

On 5/27/2022 at 1:58 AM, TT11 said:

Jarr3 - I'm a 2 screen Cabinet user who has Pup Player and DMD working now for tables like Batman66 and Munsters.

Without knowing the exact versions of db2s, I don't get my backglass screen looking like GOTG in your example above......  Are there exact steps I need to take to make Batman66, GOTG, Munsters load like your example and then with JJP tables like WOZ just released, not display Stern-like speakers and DMD area?

TT11

What I did for GOTG is I created a fake B2s with an empty picture and a .res file which set's the background to be a STERN spike grill which can be used for every table which needs a nice Spike like grill.
I have included the Empty Guardians of the Galaxy (Stern 2017).directb2s as well as the grill background and res file here. You might want to make the pup pack fit into the grill as well...

You will need the latest version of B2S Server (link in 2 posts back) which also supports the comment lines in the res file...

/Jarr3

SpikeGrill.png

Guardians of the Galaxy (Stern 2017).res

• 4 weeks later...

@TT11, did you get it to work?

FYI:  Now the B"S move to github is finalized:  https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass

So now it should be easier for everyone to send in patches!

/Jarr3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 3:32 PM, jarr3 said:

@TT11, did you get it to work?

/Jarr3

Jarr3 - I logged a new topic for my problem, but I'm wondering if it might be related to the Backglass Server update.

Some of my older segmented scoring pre-DMD type B2S's are now only showing the backglass and no score display......  

Basically, some of my late 80's/early 90's tables like Space Station, Whirlwind, Raven, Rapid Fire etc. start the table and B2S but no scoring is showing on the backglass.  They all used to be fine.  It is not all of these era tables, just some like the ones mentioned above.  I can add coins, start and play these tables with balls launching, playing and sounds but just no scoring is showing up.

No amount of fiddling can get the scoring to show up on these B2S's unless I start altering to using "External .DLL" in VPinMame, and even then, some of the scoring displays seem to be cut off with some of the lines not showing the whole line of scoring text.  For the tables above that have had updated B2S's I hve installed them and launch fine with scoring - BUT - In the case of Raiden, I really liked the Fantasy Backglass that had the girl in the skimpy bikini with the huge boobies!!

What do you think?

Jarr3,

I updated to 1.3.1.0 only and that's where my older segmented scoring pre-DMD type B2S'B2S backglasses lost their scoring displays.  I ended up reinstalling 1.3.0.1 from 2013 and all the scoring returned on all my lost tables.  I then updated to 2019's version 1.3.0.4. 

TT

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2022 at 6:55 AM, jarr3 said:

Yes, I will have a go checking it. Do you have the URL's for which one you use?

And please which B2S Server do you use?

And can you test this one?   https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/actions/runs/2642133103 -> B2SBackglassServer-1.3.1.1-dd545e9-Release-win-x86

/Jarr3

I have a question, what is betterLED?

On 9/19/2022 at 11:44 AM, hauntfreaks said:

I have a question, what is betterLED?

It is the (external) routine simulating the led lights for the display. The BetterLED "Application" is just a test app, to check what the simulation can do.

It is not going to be compiled anymore going forward, since it is rather part of the B2SServer.

/Jarr3

1 hour ago, jarr3 said:

It is the (external) routine simulating the led lights for the display. The BetterLED "Application" is just a test app, to check what the simulation can do.

It is not going to be compiled anymore going forward, since it is rather part of the B2SServer.

/Jarr3

thank you for the answer

On 3/18/2022 at 5:16 PM, jarr3 said:

The new release up on vpforums.

My changes do not help for the alphanumeric displays, when there are more than 2 of them to be displayed they still land behind the B2S Screen.

We would need support from more people to test and propose solutions...

I have now added a working FormToBack setting which forces the background + Back glass + DMD to stay in back. I think it is usable for freezy's DMD extensions to allow all alpha-numeric displays get visible. So I hope we can strike through that issue.

A test build can be found here: https://github.com/JockeJarre/b2s-backglass/actions/runs/3123621442   

Full release notes:

- Add additional setting FormToBack complementing FormToFront. Now three states available:
  1. "Standard" setting (both FormToBack and FormToFront turned off) is now as it was in 1.3.0.6. -> formDMD isn't controlled by the FormToFront/Back setting
  2. FormToFront sets the flag Form.TopMost = True -> cannot get any other window on top
  3. FormToBack, forces the forms back and ignores any try to get them come forward -> Windows stay in back. The B2S Server is not available in the taskbar anymore. (for the same reason)
- Merge some more settings in the dll version.
- Make sure LED "D" (Digit) updates from VPMame is forwarded to all plugins. thanks to rdowens11vx!

• 3 weeks later...

A new 1.4.0 pre release available here vpinball / b2s-backglass github action or as pre-release tag

Testers are wanted and needed

- Add additional setting FormToBack complementing FormToFront. Now three states available:

1. "Standard" setting (both FormToBack and FormToFront turned off) is now as it was in 1.3.0.6. -> formDMD isn't controlled by the FormToFront/Back setting

2. FormToFront sets the flag Form.TopMost = True -> cannot get any other window on top

3. FormToBack, forces the forms to the back and ignores any try to get them come forward -> Windows stay in back. The B2S Server is not available in the taskbar anymore.

- Merge some more settings from the dll version.

- Make sure LED "D" (Digit) updates from VPinMame is forwarded to all plugins. thanks to rdowens11vx!

- Make the B2SBackglassServerEXE Large Address Aware by changing the build flags for x86 builds (x86 to AnyCPU). No need to patch 4GB anymore!

Ooops. I did the 4gb patch first thing jarr :) I'm guessing it won't harm anything. so far its looking great.  I posted on vpf how much I love that us desktop users can now use some of those fancy 2 and 3 screen B2S and using screenres.txt we can have two active screens running. Lovin' it!

kingkong-2screen.jpg

4 minutes ago, Cliffy said:

I love that us desktop users can now use some of those fancy 2 and 3 screen B2S and using screenres.txt we can have two active screens running. Lovin' it!

Tested 1312.. Desktop User.. all Backglasses do work well. Can someone please describe the new possibilities with a how to and example?