Lyman Sheats passes at 55?? Good grief

JFR1

How is this possible?? He was just 55..

Not only was he responsible for programming some of the greatest games ever (AFM, MM, MB, Spiderman, ACDC) but was also one of the finest pinball players in the world. Just plain awful news lately, wtf..

OMG! Sorry to hear this.

I remember messaging him on Usenet when I was at university, he used to post on rec.games.pinball and chatted a couple of times. I also remembered when he got that job in 1993 . Over the years I would look for his name on tables to see if he was involved In the programming. 

RIP Lyman F Sheats

• Administrators

Was that stream on your 'create' Youtube channel @LynnInDenver?  

Looking at that list Dazz posted and ...just wow.  Lyman's thoughts were on a different plane.  The Soprano's!  Now that's a table that could use some updating.  And I hope Skitso's MB show's up here.  Amazing build.  

While very sad, I'm reminded of a quote used in Blade Runner - 'the candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long.' 

And he burned so very brightly.    

36 minutes ago, JFR1 said:

Looking at that list Dazz posted and ...just wow.  Lyman's thoughts were on a different plane.  The Soprano's!  Now that's a table that could use some updating.  And I hope Skitso's MB show's up here.  Amazing build.  

While very sad, I'm reminded of a quote used in Blade Runner - 'the candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long.' 

No, it was on my Twitch stream. Totally separate thing.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, JFR1 said:

The list above was just from a quick Google search.  I'm sure he actually has more that the list I used doesn't have listed...  I think he had a hand in software for Metallica and several others.  

• 1 month later...

I read an obit somewhere that said it was suicide….also said he fought mental illness/ depression his whole life. Sad

“The services for pinball icon Lyman Sheats Jr. will be held virtually today, Jan. 28, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Central time. According to his obituary, “After a courageous and long battle with mental illness, Lyman died by suicide on January 19, 2022. His soul is finally at peace.” His family requests donations to the National Alliance on Mental Illness in lieu of flowers.” (From obit in Replay magazine)