Deadly Weapon (Gottlieb/premier 1990) Wip

bodydump

• Content Provider

100%
100%

Here's a WIP for a table noone really wants. Needs sounds, some additional coding (b2b, ball rolling, etc) and physics but it's built and playable

1355470367.jpg

Click here to view the article

• Administrators

Wow, BD.  That looks great!  Is this the first time you've post this?  I don't think I've seen this one anywhere.  Never heard of the table, but it looks freaking great and will definitely get some play on my cabinet.

no one in their right mind would ever  want a real Gottleib! :P

jk I am sure there are some masochists out there who like crappy pins

but your build of it looks sweet and I hope there isa 4:3 or WS version coming out soon too

I play on a desktop monitor and I know this site is dedicated to mainly cab users but I can dream can't I?

• Content Provider

Wow, BD.  That looks great!  Is this the first time you've post this?  I don't think I've seen this one anywhere.  Never heard of the table, but it looks freaking great and will definitely get some play on my cabinet.

Yea, this is the first time.  It's actually a somewhat rare game like 800 made.  Unfortunately rare doesn't necessarily mean good.  I picked it because it looked like an easier build and I had just enough resources to do it.  Honestly, I find it pretty fun, which probably means my VP version isn't anything like the real one physics-wise.

If you need help with the B2B and Ball rolling, I can help.

I may take you up on that since I'm currently struggling with errors in the b2b department.

but your build of it looks sweet and I hope there isa 4:3 or WS version coming out soon too

I play on a desktop monitor and I know this site is dedicated to mainly cab users but I can dream can't I?

I will be doing a desktop version as well

• Administrators

no one in their right mind would ever  want a real Gottleib! :P

jk I am sure there are some masochists out there who like crappy pins

This site isn't dedicated to cabinet users... 4:3/WS tables and users are definitely welcome.  It's just that cabinet users are moving this hobby forward.  

having had the oppurtunity to work on most brands of commercial pins in the 80's

I gotta' say that Gottleibs, Atari and DataEast pins sucked,  at least the ones I had to fix anyway

they were always breaking or had weird board problems

esp the DataEast and Atari ones!

just my opinion but I tend to prefer Williams or Bally pins over the rest

but hey everyone has a personal fave mine tends to be any Williams pin

We had one of the (in)famous Airborne Avengers: put out by Atari) and this piece of turd sucked royally

always having board problems to the day it blew up with a neat little fire in the backbox

taking out all the boards

• Content Provider

having had the oppurtunity to work on most brands of commercial pins in the 80's

I gotta' say that Gottleibs, Atari and DataEast pins sucked,  at least the ones I had to fix anyway

they were always breaking or had weird board problems

esp the DataEast and Atari ones!

just my opinion but I tend to prefer Williams or Bally pins over the rest

but hey everyone has a personal fave mine tends to be any Williams pin

We had one of the (in)famous Airborne Avengers: put out by Atari) and this piece of turd sucked royally

always having board problems to the day it blew up with a neat little fire in the backbox

taking out all the boards

You don't have to worry, Tom's version won't breakdown like the ones in real life.

so cab owners are the only ones moving this hobby forward eh?
why is that?

that excludes me then as I won't ever have or own one

I prefer the looks of a 4:3 over a cab pin any day

they still look cartoonish to me and flat as well

and to be honest I don't really play that much any more

I am more into the actual build of them rather than the playing of them

• Content Provider

so cab owners are the only ones moving this hobby forward eh?

why is that?

that excludes me then as I won't ever have or own one

I prefer the looks of a 4:3 over a cab pin any day

they still look cartoonish to me and flat as well

and to be honest I don't really play that much any more

I am more into the actual build of them rather than the playing of them

Hijack

This thread is supposed to be about my "cartoonish" WIP.

Thanks.

• Content Provider

I don't think it looks cartoonish, that's the way they looked in the day. The graphics were a bit cartoonish, but that's the way they looked in the day. That looks as good as it ever could on a 2-d monitor. I wish I could get my stuff to look half as good. I look forward to playing it at work (laptop) or at home (cab).

On the B2B front, I have some adjusted scripting that I worked on with JimmyFingers to fix a few remaining issues with the original scripting, along with a version with an adjustment for the Z axis so a ball on a ramp doesn't 'collide' with a ball on the playfield (currently untested though)

Here is the standard version of the scripting that you can just copy/paste at the end of the table script with some included XP x64 detection for automatic disabling...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12758951/Code Snippets/B2B scripting v2.txt

I also have some scripting from Jimmy for adding Ball Rolling sounds as well which ties into the B2B scripting and handled automatically. I can post that too if you wish.

• Content Provider

Thanks, koadic.  I think Jimmy may have given me that script and the ball rolling one when he helped me with my Sharpshooter table.  DeeGor got mine working on this table.  It was incredibly embarassing.  There was an errant apostraphe in front of the autodetect line thereby disabling the whole b2b script.  I felt like one of those people who call the tv repair guy only to find out their tv was unplugged.

Now I'm working on getting the saucer/kickers to act more realistic based on ball speed.  Getting close to finishing.  Building tables is so time consuming.

• Content Provider

[warn='Need Help.  Really close to being finished but have run into a weird issue that I can't seem to figure out.  When the table tilts, the ball release spits out a ball before the ball(s) drain and if a ball is in a kicker during a tilt it stays there until the game ends.  Seems to happen on the old vp8 version as well.  Might be an emulation issue.  If so maybe some custom script could be used as a work around?][/warn]

If you have any ideas/suggestions, let me know here or by PM.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I have the directB2S pretty much ready to go for this table. The Arrest displays should be red, but the designer does not allow for different color displays yet.  I've been told that it is coming soon though and I'll update the B2S at that time.

post-2-0-66922400-1357978925_thumb.png

Beautiful work! Everything is so crisp and colorful yet the GI glow is present and not too bright. Very nicely balanced. Props for your first table! Can't wait to try it out.

Here's the desktop version.  Tables pretty much done other than sorting out some tilt issues.