Is Knorr done now also?

DeathInc

I seen a post about Knorr pulling all his tables from the sites. I see they are gone. So is he done?  

That would suck. He makes really good tables. I understand the frustration with all that is going on. But most of us are still good people who just want to play pinball. Please don’t hurt the majority for the minority!!!!  Please!!!!

VPinball ran with this policy from day one. Any content creator could easily pull their own work, almost with the push of a button. Remember Dozer ?

Sure, it is sad to see this. I'm sure though, that @Knorr has his reasons and just like @randr closing, we just have to accept it. Maybe, one day he finds his way back as a author, or share these very good re-creations again with the world. Time will tell I guess.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, ARMYAVIATION said:

What’s new.... it’s only a matter of time before bigus changes the brightness setting on all of our tables and calls it his own.  Then all the new guys call him a god for all he has done for this community

Why does VPF now allow the modding of tables that require author approval? 

42 minutes ago, ARMYAVIATION said:

What’s new.... it’s only a matter of time before bigus changes the brightness setting on all of our tables and calls it his own.  Then all the new guys call him a god for all he has done for this community

I think if that really is the reason, then these guys should grow up. I really respect the people that make it all happen in this community, but pulling all your resources this way and all of a sudden leaves that action as your last action to be remembered by: the guy that turned his back on the community...

• Content Provider

The root of the issue is what is an acceptable mod to a table.   I appears that any change...no matter how minor...is acceptable at VPF.  I guess 32assassin did give him permission to mod but only if the change was not a minor.  Per 32assassin and myself...the change was minor...and he posted it anyways with his usually excuse later on that he misunderstood 32assassin.

So anybody doing a Knorr & 32assassin Greatest Hits pack? Sorry, couldn't help myself 😅

But don't worry, there are lots of talented table builders out there and since this hobby is clearly growing (with its own set of growing pains apparently) more builders will begin creating beautiful stuff. 

• Content Provider

I have my own opinions on things... but simply put... you gotta do this stuff because you love it for "yourself".

There has always been those out there who are shitty people that try to sell other people's stuff they got for free,etc. Always will be. Anyone in the hobby old or new who thinks this is new is kidding themselves. Yes, don't support it... but get on with life and do what you love. Don't let the ass-hats win.

Every author out there got something from this hobby from someone else to benefit themselves in either creation of the tables they make, or the tables they play made from someone else. I have never EVER understood the mindset of "take my ball and go home" from authors who pull all their stuff from all the "community" sites. With that attitude, you may as well delete everything vp related on your HDD at home by "principle".

This is NOT the same as VPinball closing down (totally understand the reasons for that). We have plenty of great VP and FP sites we can collaborate on. Grow the hell up boys and girls.

I'll also point out.... you have never ever seen the VPX devs or NailBuster or mjr or freezy or ravarcade, DJRobX, etc have attitudes like this. They don't complain or create drama or pull their stuff out of protest. They do what they love and work with everyone. No complaints. Great examples.

If an author is "done" with the hobby...sure that's fine ...but pulling all your stuff from the sites is toddler like. Unless there were serious reasons they needed to we don't know about... then let your work be enjoyed by the "community" of your peers for years to come... not just the Torrent leechers who will be the only ones sharing it now.

Now if you excuse me, I'll go back to getting my content uploaded to all the vp "community" sites I can, so everyone can enjoy it. Then I'm back to work on RetroFlair 2. No sulking or feet stomping here.

Yeah, that's just silly. If it's a table they created themselves then sure, but these are recreations of other IP.  I hope this site will allow someone else to re-upload them under like a legacy author name.  Just encourages people to get the big compilation packs if it's always such drama about where you can find files. 

3 hours ago, jino0372 said:

Saw on VPF that 32assassin's may be done as well.  He is upset after another grand Bigus mod of his VPX version of Earthshaker.  I am starting to lose faith.

I don't understand that part of the community.  Feels like a github style open source model would make more sense where people find something, create a branch of it and add their own thing, while you can still see the link to the original. I modified a bunch of older VR releases to make them work with backglass and PuP but no one else can benefit. Tried asking on the forum for a table once how it works, if I can just upload, etc but never got a response to just dropped it and kept to myself. 

Very Sad news indeed, I just think it is strange timing, after putting out Starship Troopers which obviously took so much effort and time, I really wonder what made him want to pull everything so shortly after..

If knorr ever reads this - really sorry to see you go! I can hardly imagine my cab without red and Ted's, South park, cirqus Voltaire... I suppose I should uninstall them now out of solidarity but.. I don't think I'm strong enough

If people want to stop guys from selling the work they make freely available, the best way is to make it easier to get for free.  There is a reason the guys selling packs are so successful the current way kinda sucks.  If anything, they should be welcoming the guys that make the free compilation packs that go out of their way to include attribution for each of the tables. This likely will prevent someone from going and paying for a pack somewhere else. Figure out better ways to make the content available or at least be open to it.

Well frankly if he agreed that people were abusing his content then I see why he pulled it. It's just that he was so active, I find it hard to believe he would just quit or change his mind on everything so quickly.

I just hope his plan is to still share things in a quieter way - the 'g5k distribution model'?

Without speaking for him directly - give him space. A huge and frustrating thing went down, something a lot of people were heavily invested in. I can understand anyone needing time away for a bit and if his way of doing it is requesting his tables be offline for now then ok. He hasn't explicitly quit or said he wouldn't share them again. Different people are going to need different amounts of time to redirect or restore their passion for VP. Immediately isn't the best time to jump on someone who is choosing to step away. Who knows, the time away may be the difference between returning in the future or not at all.

• Content Provider
29 minutes ago, bord said:

Without speaking for him directly - give him space. A huge and frustrating thing went down, something a lot of people were heavily invested in. I can understand anyone needing time away for a bit and if his way of doing it is requesting his tables be offline for now then ok. He hasn't explicitly quit or said he wouldn't share them again. Different people are going to need different amounts of time to redirect or restore their passion for VP. Immediately isn't the best time to jump on someone who is choosing to step away. Who knows, the time away may be the difference between returning in the future or not at all.

Always the calm and collected voice of reason that we all need.

Yes it may seem like I was blasting at these guys somewhat... but this was a more general statement of my own frustrations when this kind of thing happens (I felt the same way when Dozer pulled his stuff).

Stepping away I totally understand.. we all need to at times.... but pulling all your stuff I just don't get.

There are so many talented authors over the years who have not been in the hobby for many years. If it wasn't for those guys still having their tables around for me to learn from many years later... I would not have the interest in this hobby I do today.

Totally understand the frustration, also sadness, when a community atrophies. Some exit with a whimper, some exit with a bang, and some take their frustration and blaze new trails that overturn the things that were causing the atrophy to begin with. I just want to be careful not to further hurt the wounded or put up any barriers to the trailblazer. If this is really a healthy, thriving hobbyist community someone will come along and build a new STTNG or Circus Voltaire. If not maybe we should all be figuring out how to be the trailblazer.

• Content Provider

It doesn't help that I'm in the military, and more than not deal with being punished because of the actions of others... so I get frustrated seeing it in a hobby I love.

I have no doubt... the first time one of these guys sees a VPE table in full complete glory one of these days... that could be what sparks the interest again.

I've certainly seen some old veteran guys on the FP side come out of hiding to compliment some of the new stuff I've been doing. As a result they too have been able to learn a thing or two. :)