SAMBuild3.2 beta thread

CarnyPriest

I have been updating my list of rom sets and noticed the following things:

• The rom 'sound-p.bin' for 'leking.zip' is available on this website. It still has to be dumped (empty checksum) in VPinMame though.
  • The checksum for none of the PIN2DMD color SAM roms that are available on this website is correct. Sometimes there is a length mismatch as well. I expect the patch always results in the same output?
  • A lot of PIN2DMD color SAM roms are missing. As far as I can see on the forums, they have never been created. Why do they appear in VPinMame?
    • avs_170hc
    • bdk_294c
    • mtl_164c
    • mtl_180c
    • mtl_180hc
    • smanve_100c
    • st_162c
    • st_162hc
    • twd_156c
    • twd_156hc
    • twd_160c
    • twd_160hc
    • xmn_151c

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback!

• Content Provider

Just in case they will be created in the future, vpinmame is already prepared to make these colored roms working

Envoyé de mon SM-A320FL en utilisant Tapatalk

• Content Provider

There is no such thing as an "officially supported colorized rom hack'. So, there is no such thing as a correct checksum. We want anyone to be able to create and run their colorization project. We don't just want one colorization project for Attack from Mars. We want dozens! The color DMD source code entries exist to support Pinball Browser/SmartDMD colorization projects that depend on extended memory/side channel loading for the real SAM system tables that support the technology (later ones AC/DC and on; not early SAM tables). They are needed to get around VPinMAME's file length error checks. Think of these as empty slots to support any project for the table. So, just because the slot exists doesn't mean that there is a project out there to fill it or even a WIP. Also, why the instructions on final releases say:

"In order for any user customized game code mods to load and run whether the mod adds full color DMD or a soundtrack remix, the game setting for the replacement game code set must have 'Ignore ROM CRC errors' enabled. "

lead_720_405.png.9fad463b51d6231f2979b6b5762db4fe.png

Thanks for your clarifications arngrim and CarnyPriest!

I was aware of the 'Ignore ROM CRC errors' setting and have the ones available here up and running.

Ps. Is in that case not a placeholder for mtl_164hc missing? That one is available here, but not listed in VPinMame.

Edited by Themer
Additional question

On 5/9/2019 at 9:56 PM, Themer said:

The rom 'sound-p.bin' for 'leking.zip' is available on this website. It still has to be dumped (empty checksum) in VPinMame though.

In PinMAME it's actually flagged as BAD_DUMP, that's why.. It's the best we have so far..

• Content Provider
On 5/10/2019 at 2:01 AM, Themer said:

Thanks for your clarifications arngrim and CarnyPriest!

I was aware of the 'Ignore ROM CRC errors' setting and have the ones available here up and running.

Ps. Is in that case not a placeholder for mtl_164hc missing? That one is available here, but not listed in VPinMame.

If you want to run a patched mtl_164h, it will run in the mtl_170hc slot. I don't know that FastFlips will be enabled for it, though. If this is just about checking off an item in a rom audit, I can add it to the source if you just gotta have it. Users simply gravitate to the latest available code version, mtl_170h. Yes, mtl_180h is the latest code update from Stern. For color DMD support, you will need to contact the project author. Throw some cash his way and he may give you the Pinball Browser macro files needed to hack the mtl_180h game code. With a registered version of Pinball Browser, you should be able to then hack the code. And SAMbuild has the open slot to support it. Don't PM me; I don't have it. I prefer projects that are more openly shared. 

12 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

If this is just about checking off an item in a rom audit, I can add it to the source if you just gotta have it.

It is exactly that. Right now, I am updating my Visual Pinball environment (after being away for some years) and I try to get it as complete as possible. Since it is first a matter of completing my installation, I don't want to spend time on creating new stuff myself for the moment.

• Content Provider

official rev r4777

Lots of collaborative work on improving sound:

Added MC3417 chip for Bally Vocalizer games

Improved HC55516 CVSD sound emulation (Gorgar up to Twilight Zone, etc)

Improved YM2151 sound/timing emulation (mainly WPC pre-DCS machines, maybe improves even other manufacturers)

Give TAF a try!

Thanks to @mjr, @DJRobX. volkenborn, and @toxie

Initial efforts to start converting the PinMAME source base over to the 3-Clause BSD License

SAMBuild

Add slot for colored DMD patched game code - MTL LE 1.64

SAMBuild_r4777.zip

• Content Provider

Omg this is a BIG improvement, we were waiting for good voices on TAF for ages and you made it, big thanks :)
I think i will remove pinsound pack now and use legacy sounds :)
I tested also tz and sound was crappy, but the problem was the sample rate was put on 96 khz, i went back to 44100 and same feeling as TAF ;)
Btw in theory is it better 44100 or 48000 for these games, or even in general?

Played a few games with this update. TAF included, like suggested and I don't think it is a placebo. Wife was out tonight so I cranked the pin to max. Pretty sure that it sounded better than ever before so thank you so much DEVS ! You're invaluable and awesome !

13 hours ago, arngrim said:

Omg this is a BIG improvement, we were waiting for good voices on TAF for ages and you made it, big thanks :)
I tested also tz and sound was crappy, but the problem was the sample rate was put on 96 khz, i went back to 44100 and same feeling as TAF ;)

Nowadays 44100 or 48000 shouldn't make a difference anymore as we use high quality resampling anyway in both cases. Same goes for the soundcard.

So i would suggest 48000 (which is also the default). 96kHz is IMHO overkill and also not tested very well.

On 5/18/2019 at 5:31 PM, arngrim said:

I need to test this.  I guess I will switch between current and older version of vpinmame as its so easy to switch (I just overwrite and rerun setup, I sure hope that is all that is needed :) )

I love pinsound (I have many in real pinballs, but love improving vpx more :) )

thanks to all that work hard to improve the world (pinball)