B2S snippit steps change request

sliderpoint

• Content Provider

I was making a new version of Cyclone which has a wheel in the backglass.  I created the desktop version first and I easily created a wheel that I rotated with 360 steps (cause it's a circle).  Wildman pointed out to me that b2s editor only goes to 90 steps per mech rotating image.  So my current WIP doesn't jive with existing directb2s file.  Is it possible to change the editor/server/files to allow 360 steps?

Thanks!

-Mike

Sorry, I never used rotation, no idea how that works...

My skills with Basic is limited early Commodore times (VIC20), 35 years ago.

I quickly checked Herweh's source about snippts and was unable to find any restriction.

Did you tried it? Is there a message saying only steps of 4 are allowed - or limited to 90?

Can you upload your b2s for testing?

You could open the file with a texteditor (-> Notepad++),  it is XML, clear text.

It looks for me as if there should be an entry for a snipped named "SnippitRotatingSteps" which give the steps - or alternative an entry named "SnippitRotatingAngle".

If the angle is given, it is calcuating:

SnippitRotatingSteps = 360 / SnippitRotatingAngle

which looks for me as steps would be in unit of 1 (the result from above is rounded to integers, no decimal point)

If the designer limits you to enter values, you still could overwrite them using a text editor, just to try...

• Administrators

The designer limits the steps to 90. There is a formula to figure out the steps when I ask

Herweh along time ago but only needed to do it on a couple of bgs

Lol but I never figured it out.. I don't know if you can up it in the software .

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, Westworld said:

Sorry, I never used rotation, no idea how that works...

My skills with Basic is limited early Commodore times (VIC20), 35 years ago.

I quickly checked Herweh's source about snippts and was unable to find any restriction.

Did you tried it? Is there a message saying only steps of 4 are allowed - or limited to 90?

Can you upload your b2s for testing?

You could open the file with a texteditor (-> Notepad++),  it is XML, clear text.

It looks for me as if there should be an entry for a snipped named "SnippitRotatingSteps" which give the steps - or alternative an entry named "SnippitRotatingAngle".

If the angle is given, it is calcuating:

SnippitRotatingSteps = 360 / SnippitRotatingAngle

which looks for me as steps would be in unit of 1 (the result from above is rounded to integers, no decimal point)

If the designer limits you to enter values, you still could overwrite them using a text editor, just to try...

1. Didn't know it could be open with text editor.  That's cool!

2. You can just type in a higher number and it does work!  Super cool!

3. When you type in a higher number in the editor it just auto reverts back to 90, so something specific to that field in the form setup restricting the input.

4. @Wildman dumb question, I see that the image in your b2s is at a different rotation than the one I used in my WIP.  How do you re-import a different snippit image? I am just not seeing anything like that, in resources when I click it's just re-saving the file somewhere, no option for re-importing.

-Mike

edit:  the backglass is just Wildmans Cyclone BG here: 

Wait, so we could have a smooth looking black hole?  It's weird we are talking about this right now because I loaded Spirit and it's backglass yesterday and I'm looking at the backglass and it seems at times to be buttery smooth!  Maybe that's how they did it or just uses more repeated part of the disc?

You can just type in a higher number and it does work!  Super cool!

it should work from 1-360 in 1 degree units. Following that way (using a text editor as the last step when your design is finished) would avoid to do changes in the code, while giving you the feature you want...

• Administrators

ok now I'm getting lost on how you can change settings with a text editor.....ok and I see how it reverts back to 90 default

@ sliderpoint  there is no using my snippets you can del mine and import your own

unless you can change the code I don't see the point?..

westworld send me the code if you  can please and whatever else you think I should need thanksl

now I have to look lol....

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, Wildman said:

ok now I'm getting lost on how you can change settings with a text editor.....ok and I see how it reverts back to 90 default

@ sliderpoint  there is no using my snippets you can del mine and import your own

unless you can change the code I don't see the point?..

westworld send me the code if you  can please and whatever else you think I should need thanksl

now I have to look lol....

You can quite literally, right click on the file.directb2s and choose open with:  choose your favorite text editor (sublime text or notepad++ or similar, I've been using Visual Studio Code lately.  You might even be able to use notepad, but it's really just a port forward of a 16bit app so it may not have the memory to handle it)

I just did a search for the name of the snippit in the file and found SnippitRotatingSteps="90" and changed that to SnippitRotatingSteps="360".  Saved and closed.  Opened my wip and the wheel spun smooth like butter.

Bummer you can't re-import an image on a snippit.  I'll have a go at making a new snippit.

-Mike

• Content Provider

The clocking of the image isn't correct to work with 360 steps of rotation, and end up on the correct value.

Here is my image with the clocking that works (it looks ok, but it's pretty egg -y when it spins)

-Mike

edit:  thanks for checking it WM.  I did manage to delete and import a new snippit (just scaled down this image), but now it's in front of everything and I couldn't figure out how to get it back behind stuff again.  I don't know how you manage to work with the editor so well, it seems pretty odd on a few things.

Williams_Cyclone_Mystery_Wheel.png

• Administrators

yea it sucks lol.....you might have to rebuild the whole thing again if you changed any sizes on  my BG....if just the wheel image is changed and not the size of it it should still work ..

as for the z order nightmare..http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3164-b2s-designer-layer-order-z-order/?do=findComment&comment=35243

if you got it running smooth and right  cool, I can help with the rest if you want as far as rebuilding  it ...cause after you read that post you might not want to do it lol :)

basically if have to do the snippet order all over again in the correct steps....IT SUCKS......but if your up for the challenge I will send you the other snippits B)

Good luck should you accept this mission graphics-3d-smileys-946998.gif

• Content Provider

OK, I got it (I think).  There was only one item in front of the wheel and I found that Z Order setting in the snippit properties and was able to set it to a higher value than the new wheel snippit.  Can you check it and make sure it displays correctly on your machine as well?

Thanks!

-Mike

Cyclone-WIP.directB2S

• Administrators

how are you making the wheel stop on the right slot if the rom only counts 200 steps and your using 360 steps ?

I cant see that working right cause the rom knows were the wheel values are at a certain number of steps,

for example....107= 200k        32=zilch          132=5k        ??

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

still no luck Stat?  try looking at the cyclone code.. I dont understand the 1,1 for start.  wouldnt you give it a command to call for the trigger , like the name of the snippit disk

as you already have it set to rotate in the editor right?  I will take a closer look at it in a little bit.

Archived