Developer And Table Author Donation System

• Administrators

One thing that I think this hobby has been missing is a way for users to thank the table authors.  I've been wanting to implement a donation system where developers, table authors, artists, coding/scripting gurus and basically anyone that is helping push this scene forward can receive donations from users.  I'm hoping that a system like this will encourage developers and table authors to release higher quality table releases here on VPU.  

There are still somethings that I need to work on, but basically on the file download under the submitters name there will be an option to enter an amount and donate via PayPal.  

post-2-0-98907400-1360728014_thumb.png

All developers, including table authors, artists, coders/scripters will be placed into a new usergroup that will enable them to input their donation settings.

post-2-0-40862000-1360728150_thumb.png

Once they have done so then a donation button will appear with their posts in the forums.

Please Note: VPU WILL NOT make a dime from these transactions.  The donations are strictly between the user and the developer (table author, scripter, coder, artist).

There are still some rules that we will need to implement for this to be a successful system.  As soon as this system is ready we'll post an official release for it.  At that time anyone that wants to be able to accept donations for their development will need to send a request via PM to be added to the group.  VPU administration will validate the request and there will be some minimum qualifications required before the user is enabled to use this feature.

Any suggestions?

Money often destroys fun and friendship.

I never wrote a table, so I'm not the one to decide, but

>   The donations are strictly between the user and the developer (table author, scripter, coder, artist).

if I would be a table author, I would ask for a "public donation" (could be health care, catastrophic help, environment, etc) to select, so the money does not goes to me but to somebody more in need - just the credit :-)

I know, you might say I still can forward, but receiving money from US to EC produces enough tax issues allone. Much easier if you could forward it directly.

• Administrators

Let's be honest.... No one is going to ever get rich doing this.  I'm not expecting donations to be any kind of major factor.  It's just a nice gesture to purchase the author a beer as a thanks for their time.  I don't know if this is going to work or not, but there is no harm in trying.

I have had a couple authors state that they would like to see their donations go into a fund to help fund a new pinball engine or hire a developer.   

• Content Provider
I have had a couple authors state that they would like to see their donations go into a fund to help fund a new pinball engine or hire a developer.   

I think this is a great idea.  VP could use a serious overhaul.  It's crazy that you need a Cray Supercomputer to run these tables.

on the fence over this one sure I can use money heck who can't

but to have to now build a table all the time thinking "is it worth it will I get paid for making this one?"

Not me personally for none of my pins are 'money worthy' imo

but this adds that thought to future endeavors

like if I make this one will anyone want it?

again I make pins mainly for me and the heck with getting money for 'em

but it may in the future keep others from making a pin

if all they see is dollar signs

• Content Provider

I don't see any more than "Beer money" if even that. So I wouldn't worry too much Faralos. If you a good author and people love your stuff, you may get something, but it's all relative to the persons taste. And, if others put their money towards hiring a developer to do a ground up build of vp, that's a good thing. But it is a nice way for people with too much money to say thank you. :P

Think about what you're saying though- "will I get paid for this one"? Should I spend a month or more making a table because someone MAY throw 5$ my way? I made more than that working in that sweatshop a year ago....

• 2 weeks later...

I think the idea is good.  Developers will take it however they want.  Point remains though that developers were already making tables for the fun and love of it.  Providing options for charitable contribution would be nice.  While I'd love to say I'll learn these programs and start making bad-ass tables, it's doubtful that will ever really happen as too many things come up.  But every once in a while I'd love to give back to a developer who makes a sweet table.  Even if it is just a beer or six-pack.  Who can't use a beer now and then?

• 2 weeks later...

Coming from a forum where people "cook" custom roms for tablets, phones, etc. I think the donation idea is good, people spend alot of time doing these tables so its nice to "thank" them that way if one can do so.  Ive never ran into "I'm not making any more ROMS since no one donates" in my other forum! Its a choice if one wants too donate. Also the charity idea is a great option too!

As long as it doesn't go past "tip jar", and not into "pay me to do this!".That would ruin the hobby overnight. As soon as money changes hands for recreations of commercial tables, legal issues run come into play, and we don't want that.

I'm into it for the love of the hobby, not to make a career out of it. 

As for a redesigned VP, there was that guy who made that proof of concept of a PinMAME using, full 3D pin. Real interesting. I hope he doesn't get scared away from things said on the forums. Bring him on here!

not having a job at all and no income per se

I change my mind and would love to see a monetary system somehow drawn up

if only for charities...like the American Cancer Society

since I have now lost two of my immediate family members to Cancer

My grandmom in '83 and my Dad in '09

• Content Provider

I don't see it going past the tip jar. I don't spend a month or more making tables because someone may throw 5 or 10$ my way. I make tables for fun. Even if you're JP, sure, someone may offer something for a special one, but it's not the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been absent from VPU for a while and on catching up today I am pleasantly surprised to see discussions such as this coming forward to be discussed in such a meaningful and sensible manner.

A "Tip Jar" is a fantastic idea and should be explored further and pitched directly to some of the table developers/authors to ensure it will be taken in the manner intended. The last thing wanted is for one of the kingpins of virtual pinball table developing to take this the wrong way and shut up shop!!

This one definitely has legs and I for one would love to be able to offer a token gesture to the authors of tables I enjoy the most, of which there are quite a few........

• 3 weeks later...

as long as they are done on an anonymous basis

that is I don't want to see just how many others are getting tips

and who ain't or who isn't getting as much

nothing to kill a hobby faster than to have competition in going after donations!

I know I would be a tad pissed if I saw others getting these socalled tips and people

who may still be working in older vp versions aren't

like what if the tippees are all working in only the B2S things or FS pins

and others who are not getting tips are only building desktop pins

so if you keep it private I have no problem with tipping

I can appreciate people maybe not liking tipping because they are afraid of possible legal issues (I do not think so, as long as it does not entail any exclusivity anyway) but what you bring up as a reason for not doing it Faralos is ... Jealousy? Nobody is going to be making a table thinking "I should be getting 200 bucks for this new table and I can't wait to shove it in X authors face".

On that same note, I don't see why there would be a reason TO publish who tipped and how much, so I think your fears and concerns are unfounded.

Pretty simple, the point is to offer a thank you to authors if the guy/gal who downloaded it feels he/she wants to do so. Nothing more, nothing else.

• Content Provider

the "tipping " has nothing to do with the site, it just points users in the direction of the authors paypall acount.

the amount will be between the sender and receiver and paypal. there is no way for vpu to track even who donates as it will only be a link to a paypal account and the final transactions will be done all on paypal side.

Archived