Cactus Canyon Continued - Proc In Vp?

Dazz

• Content Provider

vproc.controller:

Hi, Chepas had put together a helper file documented deeper in the skeleton P-Roc thread. This is what I used to successfully complete the install:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=32197&page=3#entry320603

You would still need to run the 1-click installer and complete step 1 from the original post in the skeleton thread:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=32197#entry316311

The one hurdle that I had was finding that the helper file must run from the drive where p-roc and python are located. I had tried to run the helper python source from an external drive as that is how I tend to install everything on my cabinet.

I think most here in this thread have the skeleton table running, but if not you need to go back and try to get the basic install checked and the skeleton example table running before you proceed with anything else.

Next, move to Evil Dead whose install process is relatively well documented. Chepas has done more work on the python scripts as well as the VPT file since I installed it last. So I'll try to get my ED install updated before I mess with CCC. In working with Evil Dead, I skipped the source cloning bit, Tortoisegit. I did not want to have some other unnecessary software app to deal with. 

ED-specific steps - if you get the skeleton table working then you can skip Step 1:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=24375&page=5#entry319833

Some of my notes on the install and there are some follow-up comments from Chepas

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=24375&page=6#entry321133

Launching the table from VP editor automatically launches p-roc controller, dB2S, etc. Quitting the table closes p-roc down cleanly, at least for me.

Get all of this right and at least you can be confident that any issues with CCC are not due to an incorrect p-roc controller install. 

• Content Provider

I've taken a step back and after attempting to reinstall everything, I cannot even get the skeleton table to run now. I can get these games (ccc, skeleton) to run in python, but the link to VP just doesn't seem to work for me.

I have to reluctantly give this one a break, I've spent a lot of time trying to get this working only to quite literally go backwards....... I'll try again from the ground up on my cabinet when I find some more patience.

I don't know why it's an old guide in VPF, maybe I never updated that.

It may have been hard to follow the ED thread there, but in the first post I did add a wiki & things for an even smoother & easier to follow setup. The first section gets the proc controller & pyprocgame installed.

https://bitbucket.org/horseyhorsey/pyprocgame-evildead/wiki/Home

for CCC would it be easier to make a quick VPX and try it again with chepas "VP10" Steps here ? http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=32197

btw. wheres chepas ;) ...

CCC DMD looks too good to give it up now ... maybe i come a step further this weekend.

Yesterday i have looked a long time in the attract mode with only 1 sound of CCC :D  :wub:

Wanted to make a little break in Dec. and Xmas but it seems to be impossible ;)

I tried your link to the wiki and get this after creating an account. Do you still have the wiki?

You do not have access to the wiki.

Use the links at the top to get back.

I don't know why it's an old guide in VPF, maybe I never updated that.

It may have been hard to follow the ED thread there, but in the first post I did add a wiki & things for an even smoother & easier to follow setup. The first section gets the proc controller & pyprocgame installed.

https://bitbucket.org/horseyhorsey/pyprocgame-evildead/wiki/Home

By the way, since you got the P-roc code working and see the attract mode, you can actually test the game from the keyboard just to see the scoring and animations in the DMD.

See post #25 of this thread for the contents of my config.yaml (this gets placed in the cactuscanyon main folder with the game.py, etc. Press S to start a game and any of the mapped keys to simulate other switches. Amazing game. I hope we can get the vproc bridge to work so we can get it playing on our cabs.

for CCC would it be easier to make a quick VPX and try it again with chepas "VP10" Steps here ? http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=32197

CCC DMD looks too good to give it up now ... maybe i come a step further this weekend.

Yesterday i have looked a long time in the attract mode with only 1 sound of CCC :D  :wub:

Wanted to make a little break in Dec. and Xmas but it seems to be impossible ;)

Yeah, any latest version should be fine.

Here :)

You do not have access to the wiki.

After all this time that was a private wiki, had no idea.

The new guide basically wraps 80% of the old guide into an installer.

Hoi chepas, and you got also not to run CCC ? And the other 20% ? ;)

luvthatapex, i had some mins to test, i cant press S ... no reation, attr. continued ...
where i have to do the files, is that (and the paths are) correct ?
i created the CC. File manually ... i think, we Need it ? because there are other gamefiles (?)

huh ... now got the "Registered" message :) but after an error ... ( img 3, run bat file as admin )

DMD only: perfect, but cant press a key - VP: now the same as in #48

... Family is behind me and wait - not for the ccc lol ... ok i am out :(

post-5730-0-29362700-1449686096_thumb.png post-5730-0-45234200-1449686600_thumb.png post-5730-0-95271600-1449686977_thumb.png

20% is the initial one click & pinproc test. The 80% is all the other links and steps you had to take before (from guides) to setup extra dependicies. Granted that a few of these extras won't be needed for CC, but it serves as the easiest way so far to setup.

I don't have asset, table or code so I can't really tell you what's up.

Sorry, I forgot I changed one line in the Attract mode routine in order to play the game in fakepinproc mode.

In the \cactuscanyon\cc_modes folder, file Attract.py ignore the trough is full check by adding a not condition.

Line 518

Before:

if self.game.trough.is_full() or self.game.switches.shooterLane.is_active():

After

if not self.game.trough.is_full() or self.game.switches.shooterLane.is_active():

Now you can launch cc.py and the DMD will run and you can use your keycodes that you setup in the config.yaml to simulate the game happenings. You can see what keys you pressed in the windows command window and the action on the DMD in full color.

--------

luvthatapex, i had some mins to test, i cant press S ... no reation, attr. continued ...
where i have to do the files, is that (and the paths are) correct ?

I was just about to say that I've spent a good hour on it with no joy so far, but just as I tried one more thing the VP table & display is there now at least, no keys atm but I think that should be easy enough.

Will have to go back over VP script again and parts of the game to sort it fully.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reason why it wouldn't directly launch with the bridge is because the game uses different init params. The bridge is expecting None.

I don't see it in ED but if there are print statements in code it can hang the controller. There were about 630 of these statements and doing mass commenting them didn't help too much when some of them just fall into nothing after commenting, which leads to more crash, fix next, crash , fix, crash, rinse. After the game was running and allowed to start I noticed this happening all the time.

I've attached those changes here along with some edits to launch correct with the bridge.

Had to add a switch to the trough, 31. Did some other small bits too but this edit script is from table ""Lord Hiryu VP 9   Ver.1.3 High Noon Night""

vp_game_Map.yaml:

cc_13: 
    #C:\P-ROC\games\CCC
    path: /../games/CCC
    kls: game.CCGame
    yaml: /../games/CCC/config/cc_machine.yaml

Options:

Move the display in the config\user_settings.yaml. This should be in the service too. (Untested service mode)

Color Display X Offset: 2000, Color Display Y Offset: 200

Some parts of the VP script may need changing. You can hit the mine hole but nothing happens so someone may need to go in and change the way it works with the stacks maybe. I haven't got time right now to look properly but the ED scripts are out there for reference, you can change the way the stacks are working and it should be enough the game code should handle it.

I think all pop up solenoid & drop targets not working , but probs can be fixed with new subs or something from the SolCallback.

The Biff shot or whatever it is, that popper actually works.

CCC_horseEdit.rar

VPscript.rar

I don't think we NEED VPX to use PROC, I set up a quick test table for VPX just in case for CCC but got the same errors

No, you don't. I'm using a VP9.16 build exe for the existing CC game I had available in the same folder as C:\P-ROC\Visual Pinball.

With any setup I provided it's better to use VPX as the standard.

ok, I got this running, sort of. I am able to launch the game and I see the VP table in attract mode and the CCC dmd in color on my second monitor.

I followed a slightly different path to get this to work. I think just so you have the right files in the right place you could probably have a bunch of different configurations.

Here's mine:

1) I put the register_vpcom.py in my c:\p-roc\games folder

around line 224 in this routine, I commented out the self.game and forced it to add the machine type we need for CCC. I am sure horseyhorseys method is better, but this worked.

klass = util.get_class(game_class,game_path)
            #this is old code below to force the machine type to wpc95 
            #self.game = klass() *comment out
            self.game = klass('wpc95')

2) This is my cc_13: section in the vp_game_map.yaml which is located in the c:\p-roc\games folder

cc_13:

# Path to the game directory - relative path from tools/register_vpcom.py
    # so this is C:\P-ROC\games\cactuscanyon
    path: /../games/cactuscanyon
    #path: C:\P-ROC\games\cactuscanyon
    # game is the python file name, CCGame is the class in that file
    kls: game.CCGame
    # Path to YAML - seems to be ignored anyway
    yaml: /../games/cactuscanyon/cc_machine.yaml

I have the table in c:\p-roc\games
I had to copy vpinmame to c:\p-roc\games\vpinmame and re-run the setup
I added the cc_13 rom to c:\p-roc\games\vpinmame\roms
I copied my vp/vpm scripts to c:\p-roc\games\scripts 
I copied WPC.vbs, bally.vbs, vpmkeys.vbs, core.vbs in the c:\p-roc\games folder with the table just in case.
I have the config.yaml in c:\p-roc\games for CCC (this sets up the p-roc keyboard keys and such, which I used when testing the p-roc portion)

3) Once I got the table to run in attract mode, the CCC DMD came up on monitor 2! I had to tweak the C:\P-ROC\games\cactuscanyon\config\user_settings.yaml to move the color DMD to the correct coordinates for my PC. 

Color Display X Offset: 1420, Color Display Y Offset: 40,

So at this point the table runs in attract mode and the color DMD screens are on the second screen. I am unable to start a game. A few solenoids pop off and the game stays in attract mode, so I am pretty sure this is just a VP script issue. I see horsey added switch 31, which I also added but that didn't get the trough to eject a ball.

I tried copying his vp script in the post above, but the table I am using was missing PRefresh lamp and r, maybe a couple of other things, so I will try to find the table he is using and replace the VP script and try again. Maybe I will get it to play tonight.

By the way I need to understand what makes this work so I can configure my cab, which is totally different OS and folders, so that will be fun, lol.

Thanks horsey!!!!!!!!

post-91-0-93021900-1449707071_thumb.jpg

Luvthatplex: You're doing so much extra work there you don't need to do. As long as you have the Skeleton loaded you know all other games will work (within reason).

It doesn't use pinmame, you don't need to do those extra files with your P-ROC dirs, same goes for extra scripts...just have them in P-ROC\VP\Tables.

If you just download the edited game code you should be fine as long as your vp_game_map.py is correct. This is the table I had used: Cactus_Canyon_(HIGH_NOON_NIGHT_MOD)_FS_VP916_1.3

The more recent version of the VP bridge reads from config.yaml in the game folder. So really, this is the one you should be doing any edits to.

If skeleton game works for you.....go into that game folder and copy the config.yaml.........add CCC switches to this (if you really need them, you don't for VP)

Probably the switch matrix that you need to fiddle with now... maybe the default one is not setup for WPC!

It's should work the same as mame. Only machines that are finiky are sys 11 but there's been an update for them too.

Ideally the best solution is to remake it VP10. Wipe out all of the Fading lamps, all the older stuff. Look at way ED is done and do the lamps via the timer interval and with just a couple of lines the lamps are done. Same for GI.

Create custom callbacks , flashers, and if you want DirectB2S & DOF you'll need to be doing this anyway.

The game SHOULD be ok, you can build away with working display but I recommend 2 scripts as always to do work & test without PROC, because so much restarting involved if controller is initialized.

• Content Provider

I keep getting this error, on 2 PCs, with 2 different install methods. First doing the step by step install, second using the one click install with chepas' automated skeleton install script. Both, I could get the Skeleton table to work (though, I eventually broke it on my PC) currently I have the skeleton game working on my cab but get this error when attempting to run CC_13 through P-ROC

2015-12-09 18:55:19,457 - game.config - WARNING - pyprocgame configuration not found at ./config.yaml. Checking C:\Users\Richard/.pyprocgame/config.yaml.
2015-12-09 18:55:19,457 - game.config - INFO - pyprocgame configuration found at C:\Users\Richard/.pyprocgame/config.yaml
2015-12-09 18:55:19,469 - vpcom - INFO - Run received extra arg!?
2015-12-09 18:55:19,469 - vpcom - INFO - Arg was 2033106
2015-12-09 18:55:19,474 - vpcom - INFO - S11 is ...False
2015-12-09 18:55:19,476 - game.config - WARNING - pyprocgame configuration not found at ./config.yaml. Checking C:\Users\Richard/.pyprocgame/config.yaml.
2015-12-09 18:55:19,476 - game.config - INFO - pyprocgame configuration found at C:\Users\Richard/.pyprocgame/config.yaml
2015-12-09 18:55:19,487 - game.config - WARNING - pyprocgame configuration not found at ./config.yaml. Checking C:\Users\Richard/.pyprocgame/config.yaml.
2015-12-09 18:55:19,487 - game.config - INFO - pyprocgame configuration found at C:\Users\Richard/.pyprocgame/config.yaml
2015-12-09 18:55:20,720 - game.sound - INFO - Initializing sound...
2015-12-09 18:55:20,746 - vpcom - INFO - game instantiation error(TypeError: __init__() takes at least 2 arguments (1 given))
2015-12-09 18:55:20,746 - vpcom - INFO - PYTHON FAILURE (Visual Pinball Bridge is now broken)
2015-12-09 18:55:20,746 - vpcom - INFO - Exception Name __init__() takes at least 2 arguments (1 given)
2015-12-09 18:55:20,746 - vpcom - INFO - Traceback (most recent call last):
2015-12-09 18:55:20,746 - vpcom - INFO -   File "C:\P-ROC\tools\register_vpcom.py", line 221, in Run
2015-12-09 18:55:20,746 - vpcom - INFO -     self.game = klass()
2015-12-09 18:55:20,746 - vpcom - INFO - TypeError: __init__() takes at least 2 arguments (1 given)

Dude you ROCK, seriously! I got it running by copying over your files and replacing mine. WOOHOO!!!! Tomorrow we tackle the cab, but tonight we play CCC on the dev machine!!!

THANK YOU!!!

:D  :D

post-91-0-12346700-1449719501_thumb.jpg

Luvthatplex: You're doing so much extra work there you don't need to do. As long as you have the Skeleton loaded you know all other games will work (within reason).

It doesn't use pinmame, you don't need to do those extra files with your P-ROC dirs, same goes for extra scripts...just have them in P-ROC\VP\Tables.

If you just download the edited game code you should be fine as long as your vp_game_map.py is correct. This is the table I had used: Cactus_Canyon_(HIGH_NOON_NIGHT_MOD)_FS_VP916_1.3