Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

31 minutes ago, slippifishi said:

Just use the raw file raw! No zipping needed!

The only file I've been able to load is the TXT.

The TXT must be gzipped in order for me to load it.  I'm able to see images/animations captured from my realpin.

My raw file must be corrupt.  I have tried it gzipped and just as a RAW file.  The editor keeps timing out (Not responding) when either is loaded.  If I'm patient, I eventually get an error window.

25 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

RAW files are better for triggering transition frames

I have a hundred questions.

1) When you say transition frames, do you mean animations?

2) As a first time user, what should I start with?  TXT or RAW?

3) Why does TXT need to be gzipped when RAW does not?

4) Is there a size limit for the dump files?  In the tutorial videos I've watched all of them state "The more you load the bigger your project", so wouldn't it make sense to trigger every event on my realpin and then load it as one file or would those files be to large? 

5) How do you stop a capture in PIN2DMD?

I think the raw files are literally the raw bytes of frame data; the text files are a textual representation of the same data, but this takes up more space. Hence the TXT files can become massive, and that is why they are gzipped.

I come from a virtual development platform, so things are definitely different in that respect and I have never used my pin2dmd to dump the frames so can't answer your question on how to stop dumping, but I will say this...

I prefer the TXT format. I can manually edit the text dumps and cut and patch a file together with hard to find scenes that I maybe see when I'm playing in VPX (nothing to stop you unzipping, editing, and rezipping!) - if I see a scene I need while I'm playing, I will quickly quit the game and take the last handful of frames from the pinmame TXT dump and append them into a "manual captures" file. The TXT dumps are accompanied by some kind of time code before each frame, but I've never had any problems cutting and pasting from one file to another, so long as you respect the file format/layout. I don't think the editor cares too much - ultimately what matters is the hash that will be triggered from each frame, not the source dump that you used the generate the trigger, and in that respect, TXT or RAW makes no difference. I have even created frames 100% by hand using the text dumps as an input method - I recreated a frame from a video because I couldn't get the dump! Also, at least from the few RAW files I've been given from real pin owners, I very rarely see the "frame tearing" in the TXTX dumps that I see in the RAW dumps. Perhaps RAW dumps give more accurate timing information in terms of frame delays (ie. how long each frame stays on screen for) and this is what Lucky is referring to with regards to "transition frames", but again, I would say 95% of my projects are done through TXT files alone.

I suspect there probably is an upper limit for the dump files, but my projects often have several (TXT) dumps of 30 minutes or more worth of gameplay (thanks Wob!), and I've never hit it if it exists. You absolutely could take the glass off and capture every scene in one go, but this is much harder than you think it is - it isn't just about catching each scene, but about catching each and all of the dynamic states of those scenes - there are often far more dynamic scenes than you realise!

7 minutes ago, slippifishi said:

I think the raw files are literally the raw bytes of frame data; the text files are a textual representation of the same data, but this takes up more space. Hence the TXT files can become massive, and that is why they are gzipped.

I come from a virtual development platform, so things are definitely different in that respect and I have never used my pin2dmd to dump the frames so can't answer your question on how to stop dumping, but I will say this...

I prefer the TXT format. I can manually edit the text dumps and cut and patch a file together with hard to find scenes that I maybe see when I'm playing in VPX (nothing to stop you unzipping, editing, and rezipping!) - if I see a scene I need while I'm playing, I will quickly quit the game and take the last handful of frames from the pinmame TXT dump and append them into a "manual captures" file. The TXT dumps are accompanied by some kind of time code before each frame, but I've never had any problems cutting and pasting from one file to another, so long as you respect the file format/layout. I don't think the editor cares too much - ultimately what matters is the hash that will be triggered from each frame, not the source dump that you used the generate the trigger, and in that respect, TXT or RAW makes no difference. I have even created frames 100% by hand using the text dumps as an input method - I recreated a frame from a video because I couldn't get the dump! Also, at least from the few RAW files I've been given from real pin owners, I very rarely see the "frame tearing" in the TXTX dumps that I see in the RAW dumps. Perhaps RAW dumps give more accurate timing information in terms of frame delays (ie. how long each frame stays on screen for) and this is what Lucky is referring to with regards to "transition frames", but again, I would say 95% of my projects are done through TXT files alone.

I suspect there probably is an upper limit for the dump files, but my projects often have several (TXT) dumps of 30 minutes or more worth of gameplay (thanks Wob!), and I've never hit it if it exists. You absolutely could take the glass off and capture every scene in one go, but this is much harder than you think it is - it isn't just about catching each scene, but about catching each and all of the dynamic states of those scenes - there are often far more dynamic scenes than you realise!

This is very helpful.  Thank you.

So, as a beginner, I am going to try something simple first.  Baby steps.  Here is my plan, please tell me if there is something you would recommend me adding.

1) I am going to capture all the scenes from attract mode.

2) I am going to gzip the TXT and then load it into PIN2DMD-EDITOR

3) I am going to select 1 single static screen (non-dynamic) and try to colour it using some of the online tutorials I have seen.

4) I am going to save the project and try to view it on my realpin. (I am sure I'll get stuck on this step).

Anything I'm missing???

Just now, Fifty said:

This is very helpful.  Thank you.

So, as a beginner, I am going to try something simple first.  Baby steps.  Here is my plan, please tell me if there is something you would recommend me adding.

1) I am going to capture all the scenes from attract mode.

2) I am going to gzip the TXT and then load it into PIN2DMD-EDITOR

3) I am going to select 1 single static screen (non-dynamic) and try to colour it using some of the online tutorials I have seen.

4) I am going to save the project and try to view it on my realpin. (I am sure I'll get stuck on this step).

Anything I'm missing???

Nope, this is EXACTLY how I did my first working project. Once you get that static title screen working, that's when the bug bites... ;) 

• Content Provider

Hi,

In the editor settings, i've tried to activate the "create key frame after cutting" and "create bookmark after cutting" options. 
Then, I select a hash, mark start, then mark end and cut. The scene is created, the bokkmark also, but not the keyframe. Am I doing something wrong ?

In addition, would it be possible to add a multi-select option (using CTRL or SHIFT like in other softwares) in the scenes and keyframes list in order to assign Pal or Del the selection quicker ?

I have personally never used the "create key frame after cutting" action, but you can use the bookmark list to easily go back to the start of that scene later by selecting it from the drop down - the bookmark name will track the name you give the scene. I think this is better, often you may cut a scene for colouring and not actually know how it will be triggered yet - maybe a single trigger aligned with the start? Or maybe it will have to be cut up; either way it will be easier to manage that cut up (if needed) if there isn't already an existing trigger associated to that first frame. Also, what if you want the trigger to use a mask? How will you tell it which mask to use? What if the hash is already assigned to another trigger? Too many variables!!

That "create bookmark after cutting" option kind of gives you want you want, it's just a few extra clicks away, and ultimately, I think it saves confusion later on. I use it religiously, working on Getaway was a bit difficult at times because those bookmarks didn't exist.

• Content Provider

The story behind  RAW files. In WPC mode a displayed frame consists of a sequence of 3 single subframes at 120Hz. With a plasma display those frames are added together by the latency of your eye. In pin2dmd those are added mathematically (2bit) and then displayed. Normally 2 of the 3 frames are the same except in transitions (the frame between a change from one frame to another) ,where is could be that you have 3 different frames. You can´t extract those 3 different frames from the textfiles, while you can extract them from the raw files. That is why the raw files are better for triggering. 

19 hours ago, lucky1 said:

The story behind  RAW files. In WPC mode a displayed frame consists of a sequence of 3 single subframes at 120Hz. With a plasma display those frames are added together by the latency of your eye. In pin2dmd those are added mathematically (2bit) and then displayed. Normally 2 of the 3 frames are the same except in transitions (the frame between a change from one frame to another) ,where is could be that you have 3 different frames. You can´t extract those 3 different frames from the textfiles, while you can extract them from the raw files. That is why the raw files are better for triggering. 

How do I load the RAW files?  I have tried gzipped and in the RAW form.  I keep seeing the same error as before.  This is a new dump file that I am trying.  I don't understand what I am doing incorrectly?

20 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Could you get some details about how you record the dumps ? Windows or Mac ? 32bit or 64bit version of pin2dmd. exe ?

Hi lucky1, yes sorry.  I should have provided more info.  I am using my Windows 10 Pro machine.  64-bit version of pin2dmd.exe

I am connecting via USB to the PIN2DMD, turning on the pin.  I leave everything as default in the PIN2DMD.EXE program and just click on the capture.  To finish my capture I'm just unplugging the USB cable.  I asked earlier in this thread how to stop the capture.  Am I stopping it incorrectly?

9 hours ago, lucky1 said:

That could be the problem. You need to click on capture again to stop the capturing. 
Can you send me one of the bad RAW files ?

The program won't allow this.  The Create Dump File is just a checkbox.  Once I check the box and start the capture, I am not able to uncheck the box.

This is the correct version?  https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/blob/master/tools/Win64/pin2dmd_v3_win64.zip

Attached is the gzipped RAW file.

290920_011414_pin2dmd_dump.raw.gz

16 hours ago, Fifty said:

Hi lucky1, yes sorry.  I should have provided more info.  I am using my Windows 10 Pro machine.  64-bit version of pin2dmd.exe

I am connecting via USB to the PIN2DMD, turning on the pin.  I leave everything as default in the PIN2DMD.EXE program and just click on the capture.  To finish my capture I'm just unplugging the USB cable.  I asked earlier in this thread how to stop the capture.  Am I stopping it incorrectly?

I only capture from a virtual table and PINMAME but this might also work for you

When I'm doing a capture I have my PINMAME/DMDDump     folder open.

(folder where my capture is created)

after I capture a a scene I want,  I drag  and drop the "rom-name".txt  file to my Desktop

The actual capture is not  stop,  but the "rom-name".txt,  I moved to the desktop 

is no longer getting any data.  This is because a new recording in the PINMAME/DMDDump     folder was started.

1 hour ago, Pinballuser said:

I only capture from a virtual table and PINMAME but this might also work for you

When I'm doing a capture I have my PINMAME/DMDDump     folder open.

(folder where my capture is created)

after I capture a a scene I want,  I drag  and drop the "rom-name".txt  file to my Desktop

The actual capture is not  stop,  but the "rom-name".txt,  I moved to the desktop 

is no longer getting any data.  This is because a new recording in the PINMAME/DMDDump     folder was started.

I will try this.

Is there no documented 'official' way to stop a dump?

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, Fifty said:

The program won't allow this.  The Create Dump File is just a checkbox.  Once I check the box and start the capture, I am not able to uncheck the box.

Never had thsi problem. You might have to wait a couple of seconds until the unchecking is confirmed.

their might be for real pinball captures  but I don't know this

I only  make captures from Virtual tables,  and that capture starts and stops when  start and close the table.  You do not start any PIN2DMD  programs.

I used the above method to  make  captures for this scene

this scene  has more then  60 possible combinations

and allot needs to happen before the scenes is triggered( Spell TAXI  and answer the phone TWICE!!!  or  randomly when you go to the elevator or sewer)

I did not wan a 20 minute captures for a 10 second scene I need.

So

I delete the current capture (just before the scene is triggered)

let the scene play out

move my  txt file to the desktop  and trim the unneeded frames from the txt file.

using this method I can continue playing the current game and trigger  the same scene but with a different combination.   And not end up with a 30min+  capture that  only contains 1 scene I need.

4.gif

• Content Provider
17 hours ago, Fifty said:

This is the correct version?  https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/blob/master/tools/Win64/pin2dmd_v3_win64.zip

Attached is the gzipped RAW file.

290920_011414_pin2dmd_dump.raw.gz 5.26 MB · 3 downloads

I have a look at your raw files to see what the problem is . Could you attach the txt of the same dump also ?

@lucky1 No I didn't try it.  My OS was 64, so I only tried the 64bit version.

I will give it a try with the 32bit version.  It'll probably have to wait until next week.  My hardwood floors are being redone and my house it in utter chaos right now.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

IDK if this is just me, I can't download either Windows versions of the PIN2DMD editor from the Google Drive link.

What happens is I right-click and select download, the anti-virus scan popup ppears, them moments later Google says the file cannot be scanned, so I click 'download anyway', then nothing happens. I checked my oen google drive folder as well as my Windows Download folder. No files.

Would love to get started trying to colorize a DMD. Looks like someone has recently claimed WhoDunnit, it's the only DMD machine I own! Good luck and hopefully you make good progress. Fun machine.

Thanks,

Tim