Nudging, What Do I Need?

Itchigo

• Content Provider

Do you have any other versions of VP exe's that were not changed yet?  PM5 VP921 or 99 that you look at for reference.  

I was thinking there was some kind of accelerometer on that gamepad controller and as you hit the end of stroke of the plunger, it moves the board up just enough to engage that axis to act like a nudge in VP.

-Mike

I just wasn't sure what boxes were checked by default, but trial and error took that out of the equation.

9.9 was the only one I had it going on, so I already tried the others as a reference. With ALL boxes below it unchecked (I think that's the way I had it) it seems to work as a button, not a joystick right now. Having the plunger pulled out and held will nudge the ball all the way to the top of the screen.

The board's movement isn't a factor here. I haven't changed any mounting, and it moved like that before when it was working properly. I left it like that so it wouldn't break when the end of the travel was reached.

In Windows Controller settings, it works properly.

• Content Provider

Update: I turned the controller around and used the other stick. After playing with it, I finally got it working. I don't know why it works now or what was wrong, but it seems to work without a key assignment. Interesting. It must be built into vp itself is all I can think of.

Thanks Mike for all your help.

• Content Provider

I think what I was trying to do was use the other stick as a nudge, just to test (when I was thinking gamepad for nudge). So  I know I changed the axis's in VP. But that should've been easily fixed back. The other (unused) stick seemed to be partially working, so when I got it working I rotated the board and remounted it. At least it's working, so that's where I want to be. What's weird to me is the first time I had to assign a key to make it work. As you can see from the pics, no key is assigned. Also weird is I can't seem to get a stick AND buttons working in the same profile. I have 2 profiles running at the same time.

post-4-0-64938600-1421951164_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-06303600-1421951182_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-02477600-1421951198_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

Ok, I need some help with this. I tried getting the bootloader .bin file via the link and it times out. Does anyone have it?

When I go into the compiler, there are like 10 choices in the dropdown. Ledblinky is the first one that comes up. Is that what I need for nudging? I don't have led's at this time. I can't say I won't but right now this is purely nudging. No plunger or inputs. Those are already done. I do have the special vp for this.

• Content Provider

Ok, I need some help with this. I tried getting the bootloader .bin file via the link and it times out. Does anyone have it?

When I go into the compiler, there are like 10 choices in the dropdown. Ledblinky is the first one that comes up. Is that what I need for nudging? I don't have led's at this time. I can't say I won't but right now this is purely nudging. No plunger or inputs. Those are already done. I do have the special vp for this.

Are you talking about the freescale board?  That dropdown should be "FRDM-KL25Z".  If you can't get it, here is the most recent build.

For the screenshots you posted; I don't think you should map any d-pad or buttons to an axis at all. You video shows you are using a stick which would be a default axis, not a d-pad.  VP supports the axis of the controllers by default.

-Mike

• Content Provider

Plunger: It's working, so I aint messing with it. :P  I don't know what changed, but it's going now. Maybe the one side gave out because I couldn't get the other side to work no matter what. Previously, I did have to assign a key to make it work. Now I don't- strange.

Freescale board: From what I read in the PDF I have to update the bootloader, then drop the .bin file in the drive?

From the PDF:

Update your KL25Z boot loader
There’s a one-time setup step required when you first take your KL25Z board out of the box, to update it to the latest version of the boot loader firmware. Once you’ve completed this step, installing the Pinscape Controller software is easy. Here’s what you need to do:
 Go to http://www.pemicro.com/opensda/

The site is down so I couldn't get this file.

I'm not using any inputs on this, so do I need the Controller software?

Right now I see it as a drive- not a game controller.

post-4-0-15319800-1422207618_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

Had some progress...

I have it working pretty much. I see it as a Game Controller in the control panel ('Pinscape"). Under drives it's listed as "Bootloader".

I guess I'm up to date:

Board Name is: FRDM-KL25Z
MicroBoot Kernel Version is: 1.05
Bootloader Version is: 1.11
Application Version is: 0.00

I can't seem to use my Joystick plunger with this though. When I do the game "goes crazy". The ball goes to the top and stays there. It's like the gravity was reversed. Sometimes it'll do that when I nudge the table.

Also, the test table (a new one) seems to lean to the right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Is there a way increase the nudge force? I don't want to have to shake the hell out of my cab for an effect, but I don't want to have to go into each table to do this either. Is there an option in VP I'm missing?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I have the KL25Z board. I have Nudging working, but all my tables lean to the right. Without using Mjr's special 9.9 all tables lean to the upper right considerably. Using Mjr's version of 9.9 this is lessened, but not completely gone. This is what I'd like to fix- leveling tables. I have a plunger  which uses a gamepad stick. This interferes with the nudging because when I hit the plunger it carries the ball to the upper right of the screen, and the ball won't move. The "leaning to the right" is NOT because of the Gamepad/Plunger being plugged in. Since it interferes with nudging I have it unplugged, and use a button until I have both working together.

Sliderpoint did a remote with me a while ago. We got nudging working (only). He thinks that maybe vp isn't smart enough to handle multiple inputs, or my plunger is working on an angle, and it's on the same axis a bit because of this.

First thing to fix: I'd like to get the tables "level". I can work on the plunger after that. Even if I have to make another and wire it to the KL25Z.

Settings: L/R: X Axis 1900

U/D Y Axis 1900

I have my cab set sensitive because I am the only one who uses it, and I don't want to shake the hell out of it.

• Content Provider

I can't explain this. All of the sudden it's working. I made this video to show you what's going on. This is at 900,900/10%.

I tried it after this post, and now it works. All I did was try it again after making the video. It even works on my old settings which didn't work before.

Based on the wiggling that you see the ball doing in the shooter lane prior to launch I'd say that the sensitivity is/was way too high. 

With my controller at rest you get a consistent readout of 127 x 127 y which is dead center and even with no movement at all (built in 10% deadzone and it only reports actual movement) you still need a minimum of 1% deadzone in the vp settings to keep it from floating up and to the right.  The same goes with the sensitivity, break past the 1000% mark and it starts to float and pull again.

My thoughts were always that vp itself reaches a point where the gain can override the readings and it defaults back to a set point.  I've never looked at the algorithm that is used, but my assumption is that after a certain point the results are truncated to a point where you get that result due to being maxxed out on the output variable.

As to why it suddenly started working?....who knows.  Maybe you broke a loop that it was stuck in by changing the focus away from vp or maybe there's some registry entry that you somehow cleared.  Don't question it, just run with it....:D

• Content Provider

Don't question it, just run with it.... :D

I agree with that. :P . I was playing with the sensitivity to see what the limits were, and at what point there is no more effect. My cab is more for myself, so I don't want to shake the hell out of it for effect. Plus I work nights, so I don't want to wake up the wife. The thing is, now it even works with the 1900 settings..... :huh:  Right now I'm 900/900/1.

What I was hoping to accomplish was- more nudge, more effect on the ball. It seems there's a limit to this. When I say more nudge, I'm particularly talking forward nudge. Then again, it all depends on the object's elasticity in the table too. But I'm happy, thanks Jeb. :)

Archived