Nudging, What Do I Need?

Itchigo

• Content Provider

Nudging is next on my list for my cab. I'd like to get away from nudge buttons if possible. I'd like to do active nudging. What do I need to make this happen?

I've heard people use a MS Sidewinder for nudging. Is there a special kind? (link?)

Do I need a special script, or can I calibrate through X-Padder? (What I use now)

Will I have to go into each table to enable this, like my plunger?

If it makes any difference:

Windows 7x64

Strong PC

Pinball X

VP 9.9 only (for now)

I don't have an LEDWIZ, or plan to get one because of costs.

Purchase board here for $16CAN

Pinscape Controller Info here to program your board (thanks Randr!)

I am in the process of setting this up myself, hopefully this week!

• Content Provider

Yes, analog nudge, so soft nudge and hard nudge is supported.  Overview of this solution.

See Paulo's second link for overview.  it can provided nudge, plunger, button input and DOF output

• Content Provider

Ok, Freescale it is. Since I am not using this for a plunger or button inputs, can I assume that it's Plug/Play/Program? In other words, plug it in and use the "special" script for nudging, and calibrate?

I played a cab at the expo where every table leaned to the left. Is that because this device- or whatever they were using in place of this, wasn't calibrated properly or level? (Zero'd out)

I have a Keywiz (keyboard inputs), and a gamepad (plunger) plugged in via usb right now. Are there going to be any conflicts, or is there a limit of the number of devices I can plug in and not have conflicts?

Am I going to have to go into each table to enable this like my plunger? Or can I do it at a global level through Preferences/Keys?

The shipping costs more than the part wth? 12.95$/20.00$ shipping.

• Content Provider

Ok, Freescale it is. Since I am not using this for a plunger or button inputs, can I assume that it's Plug/Play/Program? In other words, plug it in and use the "special" script for nudging, and calibrate?

I played a cab at the expo where every table leaned to the left. Is that because this device- or whatever they were using in place of this, wasn't calibrated properly or level? (Zero'd out)

I have a Keywiz (keyboard inputs), and a gamepad (plunger) plugged in via usb right now. Are there going to be any conflicts, or is there a limit of the number of devices I can plug in and not have conflicts?

Am I going to have to go into each table to enable this like my plunger? Or can I do it at a global level through Preferences/Keys?

The shipping costs more than the part wth? 12.95$/20.00$ shipping.

Are you in CAN?  Maybe buy from the US site and shipping may not be that much, my shipping was $4.99 to WA state.  As for the software, there is a small bit of setup for the board (firmware update) then copy the pinscape software too it and it's plug and play.  It shows up as a game controller, so it's a matter of selecting the proper axis' for nudge inside VP. If you aren't using a plunger piece then I don't think there is anything to calibrate. MJR has pretty easy instructions for setup on the mbed site

-Mike

• Content Provider

Thanks, I couldn't find out how to get to the US site. Clicking the flag did it for me lol.

For right now it'll be nudge only. Although I messed up my plunger by changing some settings (or maybe it lost calibration). I had the PDF from a while ago, and that's what I took away from it. It's, Update and select axis.

Do I need to modify any tablescripts to use this? Or will the settings be global?

Hello guys, I got my FRDM-KL25Z board updated with software as per the instructions and Windows 7 detects it as a pinscape controller and the nudge is working under properties. Everything appears to work properly until I actually load a table with either VP 9.9 or VP PM5. The gravity of the PM5 table becomes too strong and I cannot get the ball into play. I have to disable the "nudge sensor" under settings to get the ball into play in a PM5 table.

I believe my issue is the FRDM appears to conflicting with PinballWizard board I use to connect all buttons and digital plunger. My plunger is using The Z-Axis and Z-Rotation from PinballWizard and it's fine with no glitching when I unplug the FRDM-KL25Z. However, when I plug in the FRDM-KL25Z the plunger is always shaking and is pretty much usable on any table. I also have also disabled the plunger sensor on the board with configuration app provided and this has not fixed the issue.

Here are the glitches I get when enabling the "nudge sensor", set to 1000% gain in a VP PM5 with any table:

• Plunger is constantly shaking (even with nudge sensor disabled)
  • Gravity is too strong and I cannot get ball out shooter lane. This includes testing with the VP.exe accelerator tables provided in the documentation.
  • Nudge is working fine as the ball does move but table is unplayable

I have unplugged the board for now. Is this a conflict with PinballWizard joystick board or is it something else? I will keep plugging away!

• Content Provider

Your  gain settings need to be a lot lower for PM5.  I have mine at 150.  Also since you now have two controllers, it may be trickier to make sure you are choosing the correct Axis in VP, as I'm not sure if it's easily identifiable in the drop down which controller is which (ie: it might show two X axis and two Y axis and you need to pick the other one).  

What does the behavior of the axis look like when you are looking in windows game controller properties?  I know there is slight shaking of the crosshairs on the pinscape,  maybe the pinballwizard is the one that is going crazy and you just need to select a different axis from the drop down in VP to get the right controller selected.

-Mike

• Content Provider

I messed up my plunger. I'd like to get it working before my board arrives, but I'm not sure what settings I changed. Can someone show me the "default" settings for this type of plunger? What happens now is the ball is "nudged" to the top if you hold the plunger out. It doesn't seem to make a difference what axis is selected. I think I had it set for "Y" Axis/Reverse Axis with all boxes unchecked and 0% Dead Zone.

In Windows Properties it works as it should. Starts in the middle, and goes to the top at the end of the stroke.

This is what I'm using:

• Content Provider

That's a pretty clever plunger design. Unfortunately, I don't know what the default settings would be. It looks like it's moving correctly to me. Although I can see that it is actually moving the controller board itself during the stroke.  I'd say put some silicone lube on that connecting rod or some kind of adjustment so it's not pulling up on the rod as it slides back.  Also, just to verify, if you uncheck Enable analog nudge, does it still have the same problem?

-Mike

Hey guys, I did not realize that PinballWizard joystick board had a nudge sensor built in! I cannot disable it unfortunately and this is the reason I am having these issues with the FRDM-KL25Z board. This board appears to be working fine, and I know why the previous owner disabled "nudge sensor" in VP so he must of had challenges getting it working with this older board. 

Is there an updated configuration utility anyone can point me to? The one I have on my cabinet is from 2008 and it cannot detect the board. I want to see if I can completely turn off the built in nudge sensor. Of anyone has experience getting the nudging to work properly with the Pinballwizard board, let me know.

• Content Provider

I have a piece of tape so it can't "pull through" :P . As far as I remember I had all boxes unchecked when it was working. The controller board moves just a bit when it gets to the end of the travel. Not enough to affect the stroke though. It will "walk" upward without the tape. The hole it goes in has some slop to allow for angle. (It's an old hose clamp off my Mercedes (RIP).

I didn't know if any were supposed to be checked? I think I had reverse axis checked, but I've tried X,Y,Z and they all do the same thing. Permanudge if held out.

• Content Provider

Do you have any other versions of VP exe's that were not changed yet?  PM5 VP921 or 99 that you look at for reference.  

I was thinking there was some kind of accelerometer on that gamepad controller and as you hit the end of stroke of the plunger, it moves the board up just enough to engage that axis to act like a nudge in VP.

-Mike

Well, I have bigger problems now :) The PinballWizard joystick board on board nudge keeps working even when I uncheck "enable analog nudge". This is very strange. I wonder if running those accelerator VP versions modified a setting in my registry. Now I cannot shut the damn thing off and I cannot unplug it because all my buttons go through this board! NICE!

Archived