Itchycab Part Deux

Itchigo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Itchy,

Didn't;t forget about sending the backbox.  Just waiting for health to let me go get some packing materials for it.

If you haven't picked up your TV yet and you're going for a 40" let me suggest this.  One day sale at Walmart.  Get it today, ask questions tomorrow.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Element-ELEFW408-40-1080p-60Hz-Direct-Lit-LED-HDTV/35701682?affillinktype=10&dest=9999999997&oid=100143.1&sourceid=31695814231000537450&u1=cc971f44898e40ea8c339e2592b84bbf&veh=aff&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY

• Content Provider

Thanks Spek. I don't think that'll fit. It gives 23.39" height, but it doesn't say with/without the stand. My cab is about 20.4 inside width. From what I'm seeing a 37 will fit decased, a 39/40 will have to be decased. I'm in no hurry for the tv but, if there's a deal like this I'll be more than happy to check it out. Scratch and dent (case)/bad tuner, is  also an option.

• Content Provider

Just got the tv problem solved by fate today. ;)

I just scored this off of Craigslist.com for 50$! It's a 39 inch 1080p led tv that retails for 400$! The guy on Craigslist said the sound goes in and out. I don't need sound for this tv, the computer makes all the sounds for me, then goes through external speakers. All I needed was a working screen, I don't even need a tuner!

http://www.tclusa.com/archivedmodels/le39fhdf3300/

This looks MUCH more realistic with a full size cab and the appropriately sized tv.

So as of right now I have:
Cabinet 25$
Glass 25$
Lockdown bar and assembly 5$
Coin Door 30$
39 inch (playfield) tv 50$
--------------------------------------
135$

I'm still using the same computer, so I won't need a better one. And as of right now I have 608 Pinballs loaded on my computer.

post-4-0-99365300-1415582337_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-45607200-1415582348_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

I hit a snag. I tried decasing it last night and it's not looking like the youtube videos of other decasings I'm seeing. The videos I'm seeing show the case coming off cleanly to reveal the metal case. This doesn't seem to be the case on mine (could you have guessed). When I decase mine I see the glass is attached to the bezel, and there's some white film or paper between the monitor and the glass.

Not wanting to screw it up, I put the back back on it until I figured out what's going on. If anyone could get me an exploded drawing of it, it would help me understand what I'm messing with. There's a link to the model in post 36.

I realize it could be routed, but I don't have a router, the skills, or the place (I live in a condo) for this.

I was really hoping to have a flip up monitor, but now it looks like just fitting it in will be an accomplishment.

Thanks in advance.

• Content Provider

I was a bit confused, I'd never seen the inside of an led tv. I was expecting the metal frame of an lcd tv.

I got the bezel off. It looks like I can get JUST enough by trimming it. Now let's hope I didn't screw it up in the upcoming process......

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Insignia 40 inch fits in a standard 20.5" cab. Its actually slightly less. Check best buy if you have one near you.

I just wanted to say Thanks Frodus! Since that post I've been watching this at Best Buy. It was 280$. On Black Friday it was 179$ plus tax (200$ total). I did have to trim that flange (now I see what you were talking about), but I have a flip up design with adjustable height. Pictures later.

• Content Provider

Ok, after the tv debacle.... Here's the new tv mounted. Height and everything is adjustable. The playfield comes down via the long bolt and into the bracket. It's held on with a single wing nut. The prop rod from the cabinet has been moved to the center of the cab.

The backbox I downsized a bit. I didn't want that much open space in there, but I didn't want it to look weird either. So I took like 2 or 3 inches off both dimensions. The floor was "paved over" with a piece of black fiberboard. Black construction paper lines the sides because it's thin and will have a uniform finish better than any sanding I could do. The way this is set up the pf will flip vertical for the ultimate access.

You can't disassemble these new led tv's. There is no case to hold them together. They're literally sandwiched together by the bezel and some praying.

post-4-0-13309600-1417370140_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-54289600-1417370145_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-86994900-1417370150_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

Question:

I was hoping to have a "quick connect" vga cable. In other words,

VGA from computer-----connector--------cable to tv.

In other words I want to be able to disconnect the cable to the tv at the back of the machine rather than to go inside the cab to do it. So I want to use a VGA "jack" on the back of my machine. Will I have problems with signal loss doing it this way?

Keep in mind this ISN'T  a dedicated PC. My PC is next to it on my desk. This also a working PC.

Hey Itchigo, nice to see your cab is coming together, Just a little tip for later, i noticed on GEDC1322.JPG you have a shit load of programs on that PC ( Like i Do ), since your making that PC a dedicated cab i would move all those icons into 1 folder to increase your boot time and for PBX not to minimize during startup ( loose focus ) . I also had to remove a lot those startup programs we like to have like Skype, PowerISO etc... so PBX would not minimize during boot & in addition a batch file explained here : http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/13167-start-up-full-screen-with-win-7/    , especially if you have a standard hard drive.

Doing this i got my CAB turn on to PBX in under 1min, that includes the 20sec sleep on the batch file with a standard SATA drive. Good Luck ;)

• Content Provider

Thanks, but I get good performance from this already. This is the same PC  as my old cab, just a new "controller" so to speak. What I did was to have C: Windows only on an SSD which I really need to fix lol. I cloned my C: rather than start over when I went to an SSD. I know this was the wrong way, but I didn't know at the time. But the reality is.60 seconds, or 90, who really cares lol. As long as it isn't 5 minutes. :P  The reason I cloned rather than re-install is I didn't want to start over.

So C: is windows only on my SSD, and all my programs are turned off at boot in MSCONFIG. I get a boot time of about 90 seconds, and that's the same as I got with my old sata. VP performance is good- no issues, as well as other programs. I'm also hooked into the cable as well, so I can watch a movie on the backbox while playing.

Just FYI I'm running a Z-68 Gigabyte MB, with an I-5 2400k overclocked to 3.9ghz, and 16g ddr3 Patriot Ram. My video card is a GTX280.

Edit: 47 processes at boot, including X-Padder, Stickynotes and Task Manager.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I'm having a problem with my new plunger. I have a plunger setup just like Rawd's.

The only problem is it works perfectly on a new- blank table ONLY. If I play anything else my plunger doesn't work at all. But on a new table, which I tested it on, it works just fine. Does this make sense to anyone??

I'm using X-Padder if it makes any kind of difference.

Edit: nevermind.... settings changed.

post-4-0-77154800-1419485561_thumb.jpg

Archived