Itchycab Part Deux

Itchigo

• Content Provider

I was browsing E Bay and I came across an empty cab. I wasn't planning on upgrading, as my rig works fine (even if it looks like hell). Usually they want way too much for an empty shell, this was 25$. Usually it's "local pickup only" because it's not worth shipping, this was 10 minutes from the house. Well hell! I put a bid on it and got it for the minimum bid of 25$. The guy was also parting out the coin door separately, so I offered 30$ and got it for that. Then I went to Pinball life this saturday and got a glass and flipper buttons for another 30$. I still plan to keep my same setup as I don't want to reconfigure my 600 tables, so I'm going to try to stay 2 screen. I didn't get a head in the deal, but Spek has offered a head he has for shipping costs (thank you again). Now what I need is a lockdown bar with receiver, and a playfield tv.

post-4-0-04295200-1413206615_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-15769700-1413206623_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-45505100-1413206633_thumb.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, good for you! 39" Westinghouse fit perfectly in Lucky Ace w/o decasing but I have to use remote for power on. I have to push 4 whole buttons to fire up cab ;)

Yeah, I think you are going to have that problem with almost any screen you get.  I have to take my remote out and point it at the top of the cab as the sensor is all the way at the bottom left of the screen.

• Content Provider

No routing, no decasing. The last thing I want to do is ruin a new tv. I will have to cut out part of the left rail so the "fat" part of the case can sit level, but that's it. Probably no flip-up playfield either. But I plan to have the electrical in the front area accessible through the coin door. Remember, I don't run a dedicated pc. A well cut piece of foamboard or construction paper can make a nice bezel.

• Content Provider

Question:

I have seen many screen angles. At the Expo I saw VP Cabs had their tv's angled away from the player. This didn't look appealing to me (but the build quality was great ;) ). So how are your tv's orientated? Level, as if they were an actual playfield? Lower than that in front (sloped down in the front/back)? How low below the glass? I had planned to use the playfield rails for mounts.

I have mine close to the angle of the rails and not flat. Why?  Because the feeling of depth comes from the simulation of the table sinking into the monitor, as opposed to the toys/playfield objects popping up from the monitor.  For me, the illusion works really well that way, if I had the LCD, it would feel like the playfield is sunk below level.

But bottom line, Wildman nailed it perfectly. So much of this is subjective, there's no right or wrong.

Not much choice in mine.  I wanted NO bezel showing and was retrofitting a current cab.  It had to sit on the sides.  Mine is parallel with siderails and glass.

I have played the standard "sunken" screen routed into the side and I prefer mine.

• Content Provider

Dont ask...Itchy its veiwers choice..Its what you like not what everybody else likes..you adjust to what makes

you happy.... :rolleyes:

That's true, it is my cab after all. But maybe there's a reason (glare, whatever) that other people did what they did. When I saw VPCabs tv angled down in the back it confused me. It seems that would make it harder to see, so I asked for input.

What I'm thinking is about 1.5/ 2" below the glass, parallel to the glass. Looks like I may be removing the playfield rails after all.

Since I'm in the Midwest, and it's already late October, my plan is this. I'm going to at least try to get the white coat on it, if not fully painted. That'll leave the winter to get the insides done. I'm going to take my time with this one. The last one I built in a day (minus paint).

When I saw VPCabs tv angled down in the back it confused me.

Itchy..  I don't think they were angled down towards the back (That would be ridiculous).   What you are seeing is an illusion because the sides of the cabinet are angled up.

• Content Provider

See, what Dazz did is what I'm talking about. Is the backend lower for any reason other than to get the toys in there? Reflection? Or personal taste?

I'm kind of thinking the opposite of that and moving the pf forward a bit. Lower in the front, but further back. I'm thinking this will give me a better view of the entire pf.

The screens are actually angled At around 6 degrees and mimic the location/angle of a real playfield. It's all a personal choice as mentioned I have both styles, current machine is a 40 laying on the rails like the original 46 I did on dr who. I also like the effect we get with the Vpcabs line plus we get to have cool blade graphics on the inside ;)

They're still angled down in the front in either case Itchy, they just aren't angles as steeply as the glass giving that look.

Mameman says his playfields are at 6 degrees like a real playfield.  The glass would be at a greater angle such that they closed toward the front.

They're still angled down in the front in either case Itchy, they just aren't angles as steeply as the glass giving that look.

Mameman says his playfields are at 6 degrees like a real playfield.  The glass would be at a greater angle such that they closed toward the front.

Thanks Spek.   I was having a tough time trying to explain this.

• Content Provider

Having the back lower gives the illusion of a more modern pinball table with ramps, levels, and taller toys. Having the monitor at the same level would be like a older table without ramps, levels, etc...

Since you are a large fan of the older tables and plan to make your table look older, you would probably prefer a playfield that is more level with the glass. See that wasn't so hard. Now keep the crayons inside the stencils, we don't want to have to paint the cabinet white again. I'm such a jerk.  :P

Archived