Last Action Hero Colorization

• Content Provider
On 9/30/2020 at 5:48 AM, dtatane said:

Hi @Terranigma

I'm happy you enjoy my work, and I hope you will spend good times playing LAH with colors !
Do not hesitate to give feedback on the color choices, or if you happen to see not colored frames that are not listed in the changelog !

And of course, do not hesitate to support me with a donation in order to keep me motivated, it would be much appreciated : https://paypal.me/pools/c/8svZ533BA4

@dtatane I'm a fan of the constant updates so I have just sent you a donation, keep up the good work!

@lucky1 Any chance you would ever design a Pin2DMD that has the display PCB integrated on it for Data East games like LAH, JP, TFTC etc?  I know it doesn't make a heap of sense and will cost more, but it would be awesome to not have to take off that back plate every time to update the SD.  Could be even useful for testing purposes. 

1 hour ago, Terranigma said:

@dtatane

@lucky1 Any chance you would ever design a Pin2DMD that has the display PCB integrated on it for Data East games like LAH, JP, TFTC etc?  I know it doesn't make a heap of sense and will cost more, but it would be awesome to not have to take off that back plate every time to update the SD.  Could be even useful for testing purposes. 

You're damm right, it's a real pain in the @#& each time you want to update... thought to cut a part of the plastic around the dmd to acces to the sd card but not sure it will be enough.

• Content Provider

@Terranigma

Thanks for your donation, I do appreciate you participate as the others in this thread. I will try to deliver a nice and complete colorization for this table. It is a hobby for me wasting hours in colorization, it is my contribution to the community and the little money received is just to donate myself for the other colorization i use on my pincab !

@Yopi Yes, you can definitely create a dump file from a real pin, you need to have your pin2dmd connected to a computer while playing. Have a look at the thread i shared. I never tried as i had a EM pinball machine that i converted to pincab. But for sure you can do it. It would be a great help to see whar are the frames missing to trigger the colorization of the scenes

• Content Provider

Soooooo frustrated !! 
I was to update the firmware of my pin2dmd and I ended up ripping the USB socket of the board !!!  I tried to solder it back in place put it seems the PCB itself is damaged... I guess I will have to switch to the new boards as this one is in the end deprecated ! But it might slow me a bit in testing the colorization !

20201012_225805.thumb.jpg.f084aa09fc08d671c3917636f4dda53e.jpg

• Content Provider

Hi @lucky1 ,
if you or an experienced user can help a bit on this problem related to LCM.
For these last days, I couldn't test on pin2dmd due to a broken card, so while waiting for the new one to arrive, I'm using Visual Pinball 6 with DLL v3.13 from your github.

First a quick preview of my problem :

Here's how I colored the scene using LCM :
1°) 1st frame the backgroung with a mask on the bottom line to make sure that it is the same during all animation

1.thumb.png.8e009edab006ac0b94a3030203a80637.png2.thumb.png.15c9989c3c1a27e1d9e10a56f869d9fa.png

2°) I assigned the hash to this frame as you can see on the pictures.

3°) Using the Add2scene button, I put all 28 frames needed to color all variations and defined 5 masks to assign the hash codes (3 examples below)

3.thumb.png.5e2d3889a7331ad312641eae3efcebf4.png4.thumb.png.8cc8c057ad4a8523b78abc2b725595e5.png  5.thumb.png.2860a4a7cd95599de79cc578cc14207c.png

4°) For the blood animation I used the same masks as above

7.thumb.png.b05127bd1fe805ecc4e7d1f38161fe4a.png  6.thumb.png.3311e6c2fa37d10e05f0767070de74b2.png

All masks are unique and each hash is also unique (here's a picture featuring all masks done with Photoshop)

masks.thumb.png.7f03741ca7aa1f2a0a0debdd3362b7e6.png

5°) To trigger the LCM sequence, i use the mask below

trigger.thumb.png.21b48fc9df1a1d4acae6e9bc10404e84.png

During the first phase (no blood) it seems the colors are being well combined to display the animation of the eyes shutting one after the other. But when a strike occurs the blood is colored as on the frame but not the background or the other eyes.

I tried multiple combination, but I'm stuck with this problem. Could you point out what I'm doing wrong ?

• Content Provider

@dtatane Did you order an EVO? They are the best I have found. 

I have found a few issues but I am not sure if I am using the latest version. I will update in a little bit and see if they are still there. Do you have any new files available for real pin?

Also I think you should stick to just 1 ROM version for now. I would love to get the custom updated rom working (it does but has issues) which is here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lah-firmware-mod-coming-soon but I think it is important to just work on 1 so it isn't too much work for you. 

Again thanks for all your work and will donate some more soon!

Edit: I have just updated to your latest version and I am still having the same issues. I will start listing them as I go.

Last Action Hero - Real Pin
Pin2dmd Files dated 16 October 2020 last modified
CPU Rom: 1.12 (latest)
Display Rom: 1.06 (latest)

Attract Mode:

- The Animation after High scores starts for a second and freezes. This happens most times. 
- The Data East Animation during attract is mainly red
- The Sound logo after the Data East Animation seems to stay for the bottom half a few seconds before it disappears.
- Tales from the crypt animation is coloured well until the last few seconds and then goes all red.

(Also I am having issues with my display board from taking it in and out so much lol, an all in 1 solution would be awesome!)

• Content Provider

Hi @Terranigma,

Are you on the latest pin2dmd firmware ? DataEast logo has been done with ReplaceSequenceMode which should present a red frame to appear even if the sync is not perfect.

Tales from the crypt, i should try to record it again as i already add several frames, or perhaps change to replaceSequenceMode also.

What animation after high score are you talking about ? Participate in local tournament ? Drugs ? 

No, i couldn't find an evo without the panels, therefore i ordered a nucleo f429 + shield v4.

The support for french rom is more or less just a few keyframes to add, nothing really complicated for now. 

My main concern is the difference you have on real pin compared to vpin. If you could dump a file it would help me understand where are the differences and what is missing.

I'm a bit stuck for the red eye countdown scene as for the world premiere, as i feel using LCM will be the best xau to cover all the variations possibles, i've been doing more than 200 frames for world premiere countdown and i'm still lacking hundrens, maybe thousands as the pedestrians are walking randomly. 

Before recording the few missing sequences, again, i would like to check and understand why the result on realpin has still some red frames as i can't see them on vpin.

• Content Provider
3 minutes ago, dtatane said:

Hi @Terranigma,

Are you on the latest pin2dmd firmware ? DataEast logo has been done with ReplaceSequenceMode which should present a red frame to appear even if the sync is not perfect.

Tales from the crypt, i should try to record it again as i already add several frames, or perhaps change to replaceSequenceMode also.

What animation after high score are you talking about ? Participate in local tournament ? Drugs ? 

No, i couldn't find an evo without the panels, therefore i ordered a nucleo f429 + shield v4.

The support for french rom is more or less just a few keyframes to add, nothing really complicated for now. 

My main concern is the difference you have on real pin compared to vpin. If you could dump a file it would help me understand where are the differences and what is missing.

I am on Firmware 3.15. I see there is a new 3.16 but I haven't updated to that yet.

The animation just starts but I can't see it. I "think" it is the Data East logo animation but I will have to confirm. I do see this animation sometimes though. The Participate in local tournament (with your avatar ;) ) work good.

I can look at dumping a file tomorrow for you. I will have to research how to do that.

• Content Provider
On 10/15/2020 at 11:07 PM, dtatane said:

Hi @lucky1 ,
if you or an experienced user can help a bit on this problem related to LCM.
For these last days, I couldn't test on pin2dmd due to a broken card, so while waiting for the new one to arrive, I'm using Visual Pinball 6 with DLL v3.13 from your github.

I had a look at your "newscene" lcm scene and found the following "mistakes":

- You used the highest color group for the background. Those color groups have a kind of priority, Which means color group 4 overwrites, color group 1,2 and 3. If areas of color group 2 and 3 overlap, the overlapping area will use color group 4. Long story short always use the lowest color group for background and the color which should oevrwrite most of the content as highest color group (blood).

- You selected the first hash in most of the LCM frames which is not unique enough. The second should work better. 

- You left the Colormask Keyframes for the same scene in the project. - I deleted them

And last but not least, you chose a frame from the lcm scene as starting point for the lcm scene. In your case the starting point trigger is almost the same as the background trigger within the lcm scene. LCM was not implemented that way. Normally the starting frame should not be part of the scene because it retriggers the whole scene on every frane change. However to make it more easy, I commited a new firmware and dmddevice.dll to github (3.17) which allows the starting frame to be part of the LCM scene.
It could be that freezy already handled it that way, although I don´t know much about the implementation.

• Content Provider
31 minutes ago, steven62118 said:

Bonjour à tous !

Très intéresse par le projet étant posseseur d'un flipper LAH :)

Par contre je suis avec la dernière ROM 1.13 (et non 1.12 comme évoqué sur les précédents post  ..) cela pose t'il problème ?

Merci

The 1.13 rom is the unofficial updated rom and I have had some issues with it. I would stick to 1.12 for now. For reference in future if it is updated to support it, the changes are listed here: https://sites.google.com/site/lahpinballmod/home

• Content Provider
On 10/20/2020 at 5:12 PM, lucky1 said:

I had a look at your "newscene" lcm scene and found the following "mistakes":

- You used the highest color group for the background. Those color groups have a kind of priority, Which means color group 4 overwrites, color group 1,2 and 3. If areas of color group 2 and 3 overlap, the overlapping area will use color group 4. Long story short always use the lowest color group for background and the color which should oevrwrite most of the content as highest color group (blood).

- You selected the first hash in most of the LCM frames which is not unique enough. The second should work better. 

- You left the Colormask Keyframes for the same scene in the project. - I deleted them

And last but not least, you chose a frame from the lcm scene as starting point for the lcm scene. In your case the starting point trigger is almost the same as the background trigger within the lcm scene. LCM was not implemented that way. Normally the starting frame should not be part of the scene because it retriggers the whole scene on every frane change. However to make it more easy, I commited a new firmware and dmddevice.dll to github (3.17) which allows the starting frame to be part of the LCM scene.
It could be that freezy already handled it that way, although I don´t know much about the implementation.

Thanks having a look and for your feedback, I will make the modifications accordingly, when i'll be back from holidays !

@steven62118 : as didiscussed in PM, I will have a look at 1.13 to check the compatibility, but i need to finish the job on 1.12 before spending too much time on it. I've read the mod changelog, and it seems really interesting for the gameplay of this table !

• Content Provider

Again, thanks @lucky1 for helping me out with LCM mode. and correcting the Data-East logo sequence !!
red-eye scene and find benedict are now corrected, and I will be working on world premiere sequence as this one is highly random ... it will ower the number of frames from thousand to a few hundrens !

I'm still to find a motivated realpin owner to dump somes sequences so I can check the keyframes that trigger the sequences, and try to find out what is missing !
I committed an update tonight on the google drive, so do not hesitate to download the new files, according with the new 3.17 firmware !

• Content Provider
17 hours ago, dtatane said:

Again, thanks @lucky1 for helping me out with LCM mode. and correcting the Data-East logo sequence !!
red-eye scene and find benedict are now corrected, and I will be working on world premiere sequence as this one is highly random ... it will ower the number of frames from thousand to a few hundrens !

I'm still to find a motivated realpin owner to dump somes sequences so I can check the keyframes that trigger the sequences, and try to find out what is missing !
I committed an update tonight on the google drive, so do not hesitate to download the new files, according with the new 3.17 firmware !

I will give the update a try tonight, I have updated to 3.17. I have the lah real pin so I will have a look at what is involved in recording for you. Sorry have been busy with other work but will check out tonight too. Thanks again guys!

Edit: Gonna get some dumps for you tonight hopefully, if there is anything specific please let me know, thanks.

Edit 2: I have now made a dump of the attract mode for you. It covers all the areas of issue I had before but to confirm here are the issues and if they have been fixed in the latest build on version 3.17

Last Action Hero - Real Pin
Pin2dmd Firmware 3.17
Pin2dmd Files dated 26 October 2020 last modified
CPU Rom: 1.12 (latest)
Display Rom: 1.06 (latest)

Attract Mode:

- The Animation after High scores starts for a second and freezes. This happens most times. - Still happening
- The Data East Animation during attract is mainly red - Still happening
- The Sound logo after the Data East Animation seems to stay for the bottom half a few seconds before it disappears. - This might be fixed!
- Tales from the crypt animation is coloured well until the last few seconds and then goes all red. - Still happening.

The dump file I have made contains all the above so you can check. I also took a video of what is happening as well. Just let me know the best way to send you the files and then after you confirm these I will get to work on dumping the next lot of issues for you.

Edit 3: I have done a big recording from the start of the game to the end with every mode activated including world premiere. I also noticed a few other issues such as the red eye scene not animating at all.

It should all be in the dump file. I will message you to get it to you. Thanks