SAMBuild3.2 beta thread

CarnyPriest

• Content Provider

sorry i forgot the github, in fact i like to make changes myself and understand, in this case, i forgot that patched roms have the same setup than non patched... :)

about the repo, it's a good idea i have access, i sent an update of the script of totem to tom and he never replied to me, the dof config is pending with quite some changes, if i can paste the updated script there

You need to have a github account so I can add you as collaborator. And, of course we should try to integrate the changes together. By that I mean. If I have updated it with ssf and ff etc. Then it would not be a good idea to have a separate one with the dof improvements only ;)

You can't just paste a script into github. You need to use a git client so that changes gets proper revision controlled. I posted a link on the main page to a guide to how to do it proper.

About Tom and Totem. I too have sent him some new code. He replied that he was on a holiday and that may be the reason. He actually responded to my request via vpinball in under an hour. But, the code I sent him is NOT on github since I hoped to get it pushed directly to the new table so it wasn't needed to use the repo any more for that table. 

Maybe it would be a good idea to just send it to me and I'll merge those changes to make it easer for Tom when we hear from him again ?! He said he had further edits he wanted to do so maybe our merge will have to be re-done at some point.

Carny has kind of been doing a Quality Control for me the last couple of weeks while he is trying to get on track. I believe he has found the process of getting fixes relatively painless. And it has benefited me too. There is no way I've been able to do this all without breaking some eggs on the way.

Well. We should probably not contrinue this discussion in this thread. Just PM me or something and we find a way.

• Content Provider

On Spider-Man VE, the script in the github account refers to an older version of the table V2.1. The most recent version of Alessio's table that I'm aware of is V2.2 .If you happen to have this table then you can replace the script with this mod from DJRobX:

I've installed and tested. FastFlips is working with the script mod with the current SAMbuild beta. If you don't happen to have this table then maybe you can track down the author or find a friend to share with you. 

Note: From what I can see by diff comparing the contents of the DJRobX script with the script on GitHub . @Thalamus's script should work just fine, but I have not tested it.

I don't mind having write access to the repository, but I'm not keen on installing a GitHub client on the cab. I like to just install only what is necessary to run tables. Updating the repo would not be an entirely clean or easy process for me, but it is doable if I remember to transfer my edits to my development laptop and make my commits there. But I've been quite happy letting somebody else do the work of updating ;)

On 2/21/2019 at 2:01 PM, Thalamus said:

You need to have a github account so I can add you as collaborator. And, of course we should try to integrate the changes together. By that I mean. If I have updated it with ssf and ff etc. Then it would not be a good idea to have a separate one with the dof improvements only ;)

I think it's a great idea for Arngrim to have write access.   I'm sure he regularly runs into situations where he makes DOF edits/fixes after a release was done.     This would allow him to combine his improvements with ours so they don't get lost and so others don't need to figure out how to combine them.   All three types of changes (SSF, Fast flip, DOF) are either beneficial or benign to everyone, no good reason to try and keep those improvements separate.

• Content Provider

my github is on [email protected] :)

i always open the script of the tables i download and verify them for the dof and soundfx.

I don't always send back the script to the author when there are only soundfx missing or with wrong soundfx, but when there are E commands to add to the script for the dof, i contact the author.

i don't always have a response, so only in that case i would need to post the script update, once the script of the release is aligned, i would not let the script update in the repo, i don't know if that is how you are working now?

8 hours ago, arngrim said:

i don't always have a response, so only in that case i would need to post the script update, once the script of the release is aligned, i would not let the script update in the repo, i don't know if that is how you are working now?

If the table author eventually integrates the changes, we'd probably remove it from the repo since it's no longer needed.  Otherwise if the table gets updated we would endeavor to update what we have in the repo as well since having out of date scripts would be confusing for people.   :)

I've sinned a bit on that area. It is not so easy to keep track of tables that has no version information tied to them. I know and understand that people wants to name their files in a organized way. This is not mean as a pointing finger thing. It is just observation and a example of what can/has happened. A table authors makes betas, calls them 0.9 on a forum. New is released. Did they change the script in any way ? Have I added something that the author didn't because the community fixed something ? As long as the table is named the same, you end up not knowing if you want to keep the last released table of the forum or the github one as the end user. You'll notice that the project started with a few tables not named exactly the same as the tables themselves. Typical "mod" was added. Why ? Because I probably changed something on my own. Then all of a sudden I decided to help the community to get some 9th parameter enable tables out there. Of course, when you are told the table needs to be named the exact same as the code, the "mod" will make you wonder. What kind of changes does this mod actually contain. Only physics or is there buried a number change for a angle of a kicker that all of a sudden makes it jump over that wall.

I think it is a very bad idea for front-ends to rename the tables. Popper makes it really easy, and I would not like to be the guy sitting there with all my beautiful tables - just invested in a ssf upgrade needing to rename every script and not even knowing if they are going to work. These guys would have to trust github to be up to date and so would they need to be in order to be aligned.

Sure. I can delete old scripts that are obsoleted. I could also let them be. I see no problems letting them stay there though as long as they have some kind of information on what version they match. You guys should not be afraid to clean up the github repo. My process of updating is not affected by that repo as I have a shadow repo that I work of.

• Content Provider
On 2/25/2019 at 12:24 PM, arngrim said:

ok, i put my first script in the repo, mario andretti, until rascal uses it in his release :)

Its in the release version 1.4 now. Thanks Arngrim.

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, arngrim said:

Thank you too, i will review all the other tables you released when i have the time ;)

Yeah I didn't DOF any of them that weren't already DOFed from vp9. Any older then that were just a quick convert to vpx.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

official rev 4723

Added Star Trek: The Next Generation (LX-5)

from @lucky1 - extended and expanded support for altsound: SoundMode = 1 via new CSV file format

can define playback parameters CHANNEL, DUCK, GAIN, LOOP, STOP

allows multiple files to be used in a command (random selection among different files)

Whitestar system support added

Previous folder based structure is still fully supported

See whatsnewVPM.txt for more details

SAMBuild_r4723.zip

• Content Provider

The reason for this new pinmame specific altsound format is that current Pinsound soundsets are no longer supported without the usage of pinsound studio
and Pinsound has forbidden the sharing of soundsets generated by community members in the old folder based file structure by claiming that this unique folder structure
is their intellectual property. To generate a soundset in the new pinmame altsound format you can simply exctract original sounds from the ROM files using M1 (http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=223) or pinmame. Instructions how to do this can be found here https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=54

Then you can easily map the soundcommands from the pinball ROM to these soundfiles editing a simple CSV lookup table with e.g. LibreOffice or Excel. For each soundcommand you can adjust parameters for the playback like reducing the volume (DUCK) or STOP the playback of the backround sounds. Adjust the volume of this sound sample (GAIN) or play the sample in a LOOP. See whatsnewVPM.txt for further information. The CSV file format also makes it possible to share soundsets without having to share copyrighted content by adding information like (Track 1 of OST CD) in the name field. 

I've been reading so much and learning so much from these threads.. I did read that there was a way to enable fast flips on SAM system tables..

" Implement 'fast flips' support for some S.A.M. games: Recommended table implementation is to use direct/fast flipper flips when solenoid 33 is on, but to respond to the standard flipper solenoids when 33 is off
 (acd_168h, acd_170, acd_170h, avr_200, avs_170, bbh_170, bdk_294, csi_240, fg_1200, ij4_210, im_183ve, mt_145h, mtl_170h, nba_802, potc_600, rsn_110h, shr_141, smanve_101, st_161h, tf_180, tf_180h, trn_174h, twd_160, twd_160h, twenty4_150, wof_500, wpt_140a, xmn_151h)

What I am unclear about the above is, where do I make the changes in the script and what do I put ? I have tried to put InitVpmFFlipsSAM but am unsure where the Init String ends.. I have tried to move it up or down but am having no success.. STLE, TWD LE, ACDC, CSI, FG are just a few I have tried with no luck..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Why do the hard work when it is done for you ? Or - well, you of course can. Just look at these examples.

https://github.com/sverrewl/vpxtable_scripts

These are actual VP tables where the scripts have been exported, edited for new technology that included directional sound improvements, dof updates and fast flips. Can't guarantee that they are 100% working each one. But, should be pretty close now that Carny have spent some time validating.

https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/thalamus-github-vpxtable_scripts-repository/

Nothing is holding you back from doing this manually by your own. Just know that some have special edits that was needed to "go around" curtain problems. Mostly DjRobX level kind of shi%% - so, I dare you to just adding that expecting it to work flawlessly ;)

4 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

Why do the hard work when it is done for you ? Or - well, you of course can. Just look at these examples.

https://github.com/sverrewl/vpxtable_scripts

These are actual VP tables where the scripts have been exported, edited for new technology that included directional sound improvements, dof updates and fast flips. Can't guarantee that they are 100% working each one. But, should be pretty close now that Carny have spent some time validating.

https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/thalamus-github-vpxtable_scripts-repository/

so far I have got about 125 of the 200 tables I have loaded to work with fast flips.. I tried with the NEW family guy and when the ball goes in to one of the holes the table freezes and kicks me out.. I did copy a Flippers script and paste it over the existing script.. That might not have been a good idea though.. I am rather new to this VPx world.. I have only been using it for 3 weeks in my vpin.. Prior I was using the crap ass PBA and FX3 in my cab..

those 2 links you have provided may come in useful and thank you for those..

I was initially following your post here https://vpinball.com/wiki/visual-pinball-knowledge-base/fastflip-tables-and-info/ ...

These new S.A.M games fall out of the scope of what I could find in the above link..

Sorry I am a Newb.. lol