Pin2Dmd Color - Pindmd Compatible Interface With Led Rgb Color Dmd

lucky1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

No problem UncleSash :)

I uploaded an offical PinOut from the STm32F407 VGT6 Dicovery Board.

stm32f4 discovery pinout

I think with the PinOut from the Github, that will help you out for now.

Later a real picture from the wiring!

You find all instructions on the the 1st page of my PreOrder Thread:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2250-pin2dmd-prorder-backorder/?p=24320

• Content Provider

what would be nice is to have a " How to " to install the software and how to adjust colors. 

regarding the color adjustment I'm currently working on a editor tool that is capable to load "pinmame recordings" and then later on colorize the dmd animations for different games. the tool is an extension to goDMD editor (see above).

You can use the editor to scroll through the recording mark scenes and then give them an alternate palette or later on replace complete scenes with alternative frames for higher color depth or even different scenes at all.

The editor will save a file containing all these "patches" for upload via usb before you start playing the table with pinmame or to permanently upload it (or storing it on sd card) for use in a real pinball machine.

"pinmame recordings" have to be recorded first with another special vpinmame.dll to get a "dmd screen recording" while playing the game. This must be used later to get original frame data in the editor tool.

see screenshot of the actual work ...

goDMD-Editor-hash1.png

bye Steve

post-9256-0-66568800-1446631641_thumb.png

• Content Provider

but as we have the PCBs from you, it will not be an issue where what color you connect?   ;)

When you use the PCB from me, you don´t need any jumper wire at all !

When nothing change, is this the Hardware install How-To:

1. Discoonect the 5V DC from the Power line (110V/220V)!
  2. Hook Up the STm directly to the PCB.
  3. Connect the 16 conductor ribbon cable directly into the HUB75 Header on the PCB and the other side to the HUB75 Header on the RGB Panel.
  4. Plug in the +5V DC to PCB, place the jumper for PowerSource on EXT.
  5. Don´t forget to Power the RGB Panels also with 5V DC (1A min., i measured it and they run with 0.32 to 0.5A).
  6. Connect the 1 USB cable (micro USB)  to the STm (fits only in 1 port!) and the other side from the Cable (USB A) into a USB2.0 Port on your the PC.
  7. POWER UP your 5V DC.

Then you are ready to go with a nice and clean solution!

I will update my Gallery, how it looks when everthing is connected to each other.

But we have to wait until i get the PCBs on Monady (the delivery is scheduled for Monady).

And when your Jumper Wires are not so good, you can get in some trouble with the communication to the RGB Panel.

Over all is the breakout PCB very handi and usefull.

best regards

UncleSash

regarding the color adjustment I'm currently working on a editor tool that is capable to load "pinmame recordings" and then later on colorize the dmd animations for different games. the tool is an extension to goDMD editor (see above).

You can use the editor to scroll through the recording mark scenes and then give them an alternate palette or later on replace complete scenes with alternative frames for higher color depth or even different scenes at all.

The editor will save a file containing all these "patches" for upload via usb before you start playing the table with pinmame or to permanently upload it (or storing it on sd card) for use in a real pinball machine.

"pinmame recordings" have to be recorded first with another special vpinmame.dll to get a "dmd screen recording" while playing the game. This must be used later to get original frame data in the editor tool.

see screenshot of the actual work ...

bye Steve

If I want to open a file, the program closes

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

• Content Provider

Yes thanks UncleSash, it's better now :)

what would be nice is to have a " How to " to install the software and how to adjust colors.

here you find the drivers and also a How-To Install the Software for the Pin2DMD.

best regards

• Content Provider

More test videos guys! So the wait for the parts will be bearable :)

Here 1 Video.

DMD is mounted as 160x160mm

I have NO Frame rigth now, but we are working on one.

Update 11-07-2015:

Flicker bits are gone with the latest Firmware from 11-06-2015 or newer!!!

1st Test with different Colors

2nd Test with diffuser foil - run in Full Color Mode

• Content Provider

Well I have my STM32 board and 16 pin ribbon cable.  Still waiting for LED module (shipped 11 days ago...) and UncleSash PCB but I figured I would try and program the board.  No way to test it yet but I think I was successful.  I used UncleSash instructions - couldn't have done the flash without it ;).  Here is my writeup of the steps

1)	Download Files from dropbox  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vru9832oddqnc2i/AACWAP7VYhH3njbEYal43kgra?dl=0

2)	Download CooIDE Software: http://www.coocox.org/download/Tools/CoIDE-1.7.8.exe

3)	Download latest PIN2DMD from github https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

4)	Install ARM toolchain: Run gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q3-20150921-win32.exe, from the dropbox download

5)	Install CooIDE Software:  Run CoIDE-1.7.8.exe, downloaded in step 2

6)	Install the STm32F4 drivers: In the “STm32F4 Driver” folder from dropbox, unzip the “stsw-link009 (new driver!!!).zip" file and run either the 64bit exe: "dpinst_amd64.exe"  or the 32bit exe: "dpinst_x86.exe"

7)	Start the CooIDE program: Start button->All Programs->CooCox Software->CoIDE

8)	Open project: Click on Project->Open Project and navigate to the PIN2DMD-master folder from github, and open PIN2DMD.coproj

9)	Build project: Press F7 to build, but you will be asked for location of the ARM toolchain exe. Default location is this “C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU Tools ARM Embedded\4.9 2015q3\bin”

10)	Build will start and in the bottom window it will see 

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 7 seconds

11)	Connect the STM32 board to the PC using a mini-USB cable (not the smaller microUSB cable).  The board will light up and you should see an STM32 STLink USB device connected in the Windows notification tray

12)	Flash firmware: In CoIDE, click on the “Download Code To Flash” icon (or click on Flash->Program Download.  You should see
a.	Erase: Done
b.	Program: Done
c.	Verify: Done

According to the writeup and pics, it looks like the board uses microUSB port to talk to the PC (Pinmame) and still requires 5V power from the miniUSB port.  Is there another way to supply 5V to the board, instead of the miniUSB port?  There are 5V and Ground pins on the board, can these be used?

Thanks again

• Content Provider

When you like to Test your Board for "Data transfer only"

Hook it up and run the VPinbal... or VPinMame Setup and use the Test funstion!

The "BLUE" LED on the board is toggling when the board receives data from the PC over USB.

I updated my instructions today, V1.1 is online (a little better... I try to make it better everytime!)

When you allow me, to use your instructions steps, i will copy it into my install pdf....

THX

Update:

PCB Boards are in Tuscaloosa, AL  (close to my Apartment :D ) but still scheduled for Monday  :ph34r:

• Content Provider

I used your information.

Install instruction V1.2 is Online ;)

found some small issues in the text and added the dropbox link to the PDF

V1.2b is Online here...

V1.2c is actual, but still online here in the forum... because it´s still actual!

NEW instructions (new style and PICTURES / Screenshots embedded):

Firmware and Driver: Pin2DMD installation - FW and Driver 11-08-2015

VPinMame and Test (with ot without DMD): Pin2DMD installation - 1st Test and VPinMame 11-08-2015

with more detailed information, for the  VPinMame and 1st test with or without your D otMatrixDisplay. 

and in the dropbox as well. :wub:

Well I have my STM32 board and 16 pin ribbon cable.  Still waiting for LED module (shipped 11 days ago...) and UncleSash PCB but I figured I would try and program the board.  No way to test it yet but I think I was successful.  I used UncleSash instructions - couldn't have done the flash without it ;).  Here is my writeup of the steps

1)	Download Files from dropbox  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vru9832oddqnc2i/AACWAP7VYhH3njbEYal43kgra?dl=0

2)	Download CooIDE Software: http://www.coocox.org/download/Tools/CoIDE-1.7.8.exe

3)	Download latest PIN2DMD from github https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

4)	Install ARM toolchain: Run gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q3-20150921-win32.exe, from the dropbox download

5)	Install CooIDE Software:  Run CoIDE-1.7.8.exe, downloaded in step 2

6)	Install the STm32F4 drivers: In the “STm32F4 Driver” folder from dropbox, unzip the “stsw-link009 (new driver!!!).zip" file and run either the 64bit exe: "dpinst_amd64.exe"  or the 32bit exe: "dpinst_x86.exe"

7)	Start the CooIDE program: Start button->All Programs->CooCox Software->CoIDE

8)	Open project: Click on Project->Open Project and navigate to the PIN2DMD-master folder from github, and open PIN2DMD.coproj

9)	Build project: Press F7 to build, but you will be asked for location of the ARM toolchain exe. Default location is this “C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU Tools ARM Embedded\4.9 2015q3\bin”

10)	Build will start and in the bottom window it will see 

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 7 seconds

11)	Connect the STM32 board to the PC using a mini-USB cable (not the smaller microUSB cable).  The board will light up and you should see an STM32 STLink USB device connected in the Windows notification tray

12)	Flash firmware: In CoIDE, click on the “Download Code To Flash” icon (or click on Flash->Program Download.  You should see
a.	Erase: Done
b.	Program: Done
c.	Verify: Done

According to the writeup and pics, it looks like the board uses microUSB port to talk to the PC (Pinmame) and still requires 5V power from the miniUSB port.  Is there another way to supply 5V to the board, instead of the miniUSB port?  There are 5V and Ground pins on the board, can these be used?

Thanks again

Archived