[New VPX Alert]Banzai Run (Williams 1988) - PinCabViewVPX MOD (With Playable Backglass - 2/3 screens)

• Content Provider

Banzai Run (Williams 1988) - PinCabViewVPX MOD (With Playable Backglass - 2/3 screens)

Here a special release !!

I'm glad to share here a mod of JPSalas Banzai Run 1.0.2 table with working and playable backglass playfield in 2nd screen 🥳

To work, this mod needs to be launched using the "PinCabViewVPX_launcher.exe" included. Please read the bellow instructions.

In fact it needs more than just a launcher... It needs a Custom VPinballX build, ReShade and PinCabView/ArcCabView shader 2.6 :D

How to install :

- Just extract this full archive in your VPinballX root folder (standard D3D9 build / v10.7 minimum as I didn't test with previous versions)

- Do not change anything and run directly "PinCabViewVPX_launcher.exe" (it should be next to your usual VPinballX.exe)

- That's all :)

If it's slow, not nice enough or if your screens are not displayed where they should (DMD and Backglass screens switched), just check options in "PinCabViewVPX.ini" (should be next to the launcher in Visual Pinball X root directory)

(Keep "DMDPositions", "DMDSizes" and "BGScreenNbr" at "0" if it's ok like that and never edit any "xxx_default.cfg" files)

Depending of your configuration, it will display the score leds in the backglass screen or in your 3rd screen.

"PauseMenu" option is available to get or not the VisualPinball pause menu before quit (with Esc key)

"ApronCrop" option is available in PinCabViewVPX.ini if you don't want to display the apron part of the table

"DMDScreenPercent" option is available in PinCabViewVPX.ini if you don't use the full DMD screen area

"FullDMDScreen" option is available to display the DMD in your full DMD screen area (can work with "DMDScreenPercent" too)

"SetPerfMode" option can help for low configs (also setting the table to use "Fast FXAA" and lower "details level" for example can help too)

"IntResLevel=1" should be ok for most people and matches 1080p screens, "IntResLevel=0" will bring a big boost ("2" and "3" will require more power but the game will look better on UHD screens)

Warning :

- Never edit any "xxx_default.cfg" files !!

- Don't change the POV of the table !!! (if ever you can change the pov ingame in Reshade's UI)

- Your playfield screen should be your main screen!

- Your main screen should be positionned "Top-Left" of your other screens (minus screen positions are not supported)

- Your DPI Scale setting should be the same on all your screens.

- Don't run this table with your usual VPinball exe (but you can use it to change some graphic and script options)

- Desktop, FSS, VR, 3DStereo are not supported

- The internal resolution level used can be set in PinCabViewVPX.ini

- Some more settings can be set ingame in ReShade's UI using "home" key (table, backglass, DMD and DMD background brightness/color for example)

- You can edit the  script of the table to use VPinMAME DMD and probably any other DMD tool. In this case you can use "NoDMD" option in PinCabViewVPX.ini

Banzai Run table MOD (mostly a functionnal mod, still the JP table at 99%) :

- Backglass parts moved to the bottom of the table (needed to get a correct POV)

- Script update to get the backglass elements always visible.

- Script update to get the lifter moves in the table's backwall too.

- Script update to fix the lifter moves (should be accurate now, the switches hack is removed)

- Added ball falling down from backglass and ramp collision sound.

- Many art's colors adjusted with less saturation.

- Flipper shadows added.

- DirectB2S controller is disabled.

- A few small other changes...

Thanks to JP Salas for allowing me to share here this mod of his awesome table!

Thanks to Toxie to let me include my custom VPinballX build

Thanks to Smaug, Bietekwiet and BountyBob for their tests and feedbacks.

PS: If you manage to understand how it works, you can add tables to this release :)

The tables should be named "TableName_PCV.vpx" and put in "PinCabViewVPX\Tables\" folder

To run you will have to send the "TableName" to the launcher (without "_PCV.vpx") => "PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe TableName"

You can also put for this new table a default "Presets" cgf file, a "Datas" ini file and "Textures" images just like it's done for "BanzaiRun" (and some special options in PinCabViewVPX.ini too!)

Enjoy ;)

***********************************************************************************

PinCabViewVPX by Aubrel

The pack contains :

- PinCabViewVPX Launcher by Aubrel

- PinCabView Custom VPX table "Banzai Run (Williams 1988)" (Original 1.0.2 table by JP Salas, PinCabView MOD by Aubrel)

- PinCabView 2.6 ReShade's shader by Aubrel and Ducon2016 (ArcCabView 2.6 with Pinball options activated)

- ArcCabView Custom ReShade 4.9.1 build (ReShadeMod32.dll / ReShadeMod64.dll)

- PinCabView Custom VPinballX 10.7.3 build (VPinballX32_PCV.exe / VPinballX64_PCV.exe)

***********************************************************************************

PinCabView Info / Support :

https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5494-pincabview-bigraceusa-fantasticjourney-timeshock-theweb-wormspinball-worldrallyfever-slamtilt-resurrection/

PinCabView2D Info / Support :

https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5744-pincabview2d-most-old-dos-pinball-games-in-your-pincab/

PinCabViewWFS Info / Support :

https://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/5903-pincabviewwfs-all-wildfire-studios-pinball-pc-games-in-your-pincab/

ArcCabView/PinCabView shader Info / Support :

https://www.emuline.org/topic/2598-arccabview-pincabview-display-your-arcade-games-just-as-you-want/

Thanks to Ducon2016 and Houb for the amazing "CRTGeomMOD" shader (and thanks to cgwg for the original CRTGeom shader)

http://www.emuline.org/topic/1420-shader-crt-multifonction-kick-ass-looking-games/

ReShade home : https://reshade.me

Visual Pinball repository : https://github.com/vpinball/vpinball

Original Banzai Run (Williams 1988) 1.0.2 by JP Salas :

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=17036

Nice Job.  Everything works perfect.  Didn't think it was possible but you did it.

I am looking to boost the graphics a bit.  It just looks a bit washed out compared to JP's table.  Is their any way to adjust this a bit?

Thanks again for your great work.  You did it!!!!!!!!

***Edit***  I figured out what was going on with the washed out effect.  I got it fixed up now.  Thank you!!!

Thanks for this unique release.  I have been meaning to spend some time with this different type of table and this was just to easy to setup and run.  It looks very close

on my system, the playfield is correct and looks great, the backglass looks good, but on my DMD screen (I have 4 screens) it first goes black and then displays a virtual DMD screen (vPinMAME).  Trouble is my topper has a very nice looking DMDish screen which I think should be displayed on my "DMD" screen.  Any ideas on how to move it.  I tried setting the X position to -1920 instead of 9 as my topper screen is listed after my DMD screen in windows, but that didn't work.  Thanks

Note: this was about version 1.0. Version 1.2 runs beautifully and worked out of the box, and doesn't modify any files that normal VPX uses. Thanks!

I tried out this release of Banzai Run on my desktop computer, which is the computer I use for VPX. It has a portrait monitor that I use for VPX cabinet mode. It worked pretty well even though my screen layout is non-recommended, the backglass just appeared stretched on my 16:9 landscape monitor.

I installed PinCabView in my Visual Pinball folder, according to the directions.

However, now when I try to load any other VPX table in normal VPX 10.7.2 (not PinCabView), it is weirdly stretched and rotated 270 degrees from what the POV says it should be. I see a flash of the correct orientation for like a quarter of a second, then something else takes over.

Could you tell me what VPX settings were changed when I ran PinCabView, and how I can get them back?

(This is arborelia posting as FlannelKat, who is my wife, because we weren't allowed to register two VPU accounts on the same IP. I also asked about this on the VPinHub discord and Wylte is offering to connect me to Aubrel, but I figured I'd post here as well, so you can see what I'm talking about.)

Just saying again that this is fixed now -- I recognize that this comment is particularly prominent because it was one of the first comments, but don't let it color your impression of version 1.2.

Edited by FlannelKat
I think this comment is being seen a lot and it's important to be clear that it's fixed.

I figured out a solution to my problem, I think, by looking at recently modified files. PinCabViewVPX adds its own settings to ReShade.ini that affect all of VPX.

Deleting ReShade.ini, and letting VPX regenerate it, got me back the ability to use VPX to play tables that are not Banzai Run.

1.0b seems to have allowed me to position all my screens correctly, thanks.  I still have a problem with the backglass and the ball lifter going up and down constantly during play.  It also doesn't seem to pick up the ball and bring it to the 2nd screen.  Any ideas?

I do like the extra option to disable the pause screen, thanks.

Getting so close

• Content Provider

This is really cool!! Thank you for sharing this!!

one question I have is that I notice when I launch the rom says Cali-Brating and it does this for a but till it’s ready then it plays fine.  This seems to do this every time. launch the game.  Is this normal?  I tried deleting the nvram and replacing the roms…I’m just trying to determine if it’s expected behavior.  Thank you!!

Scampa123, I get the same thing.  Does it ever stop for you?  (Mine doesn't).  Can you get the ball lifter to actually lift the ball if you hit it up the left part?  Getting close, but still can't play.

Yeah! I got it working fine now, even my DMD area on my 4 screen cab.  Not sure if this was it, but I deleted my old nvram file, ran the older version from JP and let it run out the calibration thingy, played a game, quit out, restarted this awesome version adn bam, everything just worked great.  THIS WAS AWESOME, I played Banzai run on my Pincab just like it was meant to be played.   This is truely an awesome release, everyone needs to play this.

Thanks again!

• Content Provider
On 3/13/2023 at 9:47 AM, slydog43 said:

sorry I missed this but it seems you got it squared away!

Scampa123, I get the same thing.  Does it ever stop for you?  (Mine doesn't).  Can you get the ball lifter to actually lift the ball if you hit it up the left part?  Getting close, but still can't play.

Yeah! I got it working fine now, even my DMD area on my 4 screen cab.  Not sure if this was it, but I deleted my old nvram file, ran the older version from JP and let it run out the calibration thingy, played a game, quit out, restarted this awesome version adn bam, everything just worked great.  THIS WAS AWESOME, I played Banzai run on my Pincab just like it was meant to be played.   This is truely an awesome release, everyone needs to play this.

Thanks again!

• Content Provider
On 3/26/2023 at 6:23 PM, Bentom said:

Thank you for this wonderful table. I can't believe how you did it.

I still have a question, my DOF doesn't work in this version, what am I doing wrong.

Thanks very much

Thomas

I never use DOF but according to the other guys here you need to actvathe the plugins in the directB2S backglass options of this game...

Here some progress :

Next update I will have to update the title of this release :D

• 5 weeks later...

I'm trying to launch it with a new table name 'Banzai Run (Williams 1988) 1.2 PCV' but when i kick off the launcher, it tells me it cannot find 'BanziRun_PCV.vpx'.  This makes me think the launcher wasn't updated.

Can you let me know what i need to change this to be able to call whatever my table name is?

Thanks and awesome work!

• Content Provider

If you want to add a new table you have to name the new table "XXXXXXXX_PCV.vpx"

"XXXXXXXX" can be "Banzai Run (Williams 1988) 1.2" if you want but you need to put "_PCV.vpx" at the end

Then with 1.2 you will be able to launch it like that :

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "XXXXXXXX"

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "H:\My VPinballX Folder\PinCabViewVPX\Tables\XXXXXXXX"

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "XXXXXXXX_PCV"

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "H:\My VPinballX Folder\PinCabViewVPX\Tables\XXXXXXXX_PCV"

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "XXXXXXXX_PCV.vpx"

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "H:\My VPinballX Folder\PinCabViewVPX\Tables\XXXXXXXX_PCV.vpx"

The goal is to make frontends happy :D

I hope it helps ;)

PS . but as nothing is set for this "new table" don't expect it to be displayed correctly without having to set every "original" values in the shader or in the Datas\"XXXXXXXX".ini

10 hours ago, Aubrel said:

If you want to add a new table you have to name the new table "XXXXXXXX_PCV.vpx"

"XXXXXXXX" can be "Banzai Run (Williams 1988) 1.2" if you want but you need to put "_PCV.vpx" at the end

Then with 1.2 you will be able to launch it like that :

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "XXXXXXXX"

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "H:\My VPinballX Folder\PinCabViewVPX\Tables\XXXXXXXX"

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "XXXXXXXX_PCV"

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "H:\My VPinballX Folder\PinCabViewVPX\Tables\XXXXXXXX_PCV"

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "XXXXXXXX_PCV.vpx"

PinCabViewVPX_Launcher.exe "H:\My VPinballX Folder\PinCabViewVPX\Tables\XXXXXXXX_PCV.vpx"

The goal is to make frontends happy :D

I hope it helps ;)

PS . but as nothing is set for this "new table" don't expect it to be displayed correctly without having to set every "original" values in the shader or in the Datas\"XXXXXXXX".ini

Got it, thanks!

Hey, you wouldn't happen to be working on NBA Fastbreak next? Hint hint ;)

Again, great work!

• 4 weeks later...

I only had a few minutes with the update, and I was running into some problems.  For whatever reason, my changes were not saving.  For example, I streched the backglass to hide the checkered flag.  When I relaunched the table, it was back to defualt.  Also, when I put the topper and dmd on the top of the backglass, the dmd was much bigger and did not filling the dmd screen correctly. 

Again, I didnt have a lot of time to poke around, but wondering if anyone had this problem, or did I just miss an easy setting?  

• Content Provider
51 minutes ago, roccodimarco said:

I only had a few minutes with the update, and I was running into some problems.  For whatever reason, my changes were not saving.  For example, I streched the backglass to hide the checkered flag.  When I relaunched the table, it was back to defualt.  Also, when I put the topper and dmd on the top of the backglass, the dmd was much bigger and did not filling the dmd screen correctly. 

Again, I didnt have a lot of time to poke around, but wondering if anyone had this problem, or did I just miss an easy setting?  

do not resize the backglass to hide the checkered flag, use the "backglass width scale" slider in the Reshade's UI shader settings ingame with "home" key and it will work as it should ;)

I'm having some issues with this table, hopefully someone can answer.

1. The regular DMD is over top of the handlebar overlay DMD. It seems to go away if I click on it, but I've tried shrinking it to a tiny size with black text so you can't see it, and I tell it in the Customize DMD setting app to save that design, but the next time I launch the table it's back again. I tried changing the setting in .ini file to FullScreenDMD=1, but then it just makes the PinCabView DMD cover the entire screen (the handlebar overlay is gone), and even then it's STILL behind the regular DMD!

^ This part is solved. If anyone else has this issue, you need to press F1 to edit the rom, and uncheck the dll option. Then I put FullScreenDMD back to 0, now it looks great.

2. The graphics on the playfield are really jagged, very noticeable on are surfaces which are round especially. Are the lines supposed to look smooth?  I've watched others play on youtube and they seemed to look better than mine does (although I'm watching those videos on a smaller screen). I've set the InResLevel to 3, but I see no difference at all in graphics quality at any setting. I've tried running it in 32 and 64 bit, no difference.

Thanks