• Administrators

No kidding. I think that is a great way to look at modding/updating, and makes it somewhat future-proof.

I actually just added that option.  Vette - I'm not sure if that's OK with you or not, but feel free to change.

Personally, I think there should be a statute on all uploads that allow them to be modded if after a specified about of time passing without updates from the original author.

I actually just added that option.  Vette - I'm not sure if that's OK with you or not, but feel free to change.

Personally, I think there should be a statute on all uploads that allow them to be modded if after a specified about of time passing without updates from the original author.

Contact Author first. (This option expires after 1 year of no updates by original author.)

Updates to what? Must he update the table once a year? Post a message in this topic once a year? Or have posted a message on VPU within the last year?  or be active on this website? active on any website?

• Administrators

Contact Author first. (This option expires after 1 year of no updates by original author.)

Updates to what? Must he update the table once a year? Post a message in this topic once a year? Or have posted a message on VPU within the last year?  or be active on this website? active on any website?

Ok, let's not trash up this release thread with OT stuff.

Something like this?

Contact Author first. (If the author has been inactive on all of the major community websites for more than one year, or does not respond to private and public contact attempts within one year, this table is free to mod)

or:

Contact Author first. (If the author has been inactive on all of the major community websites for more than one year,  this table is free to mod)

or just:

Contact Author first. (If the author does not respond to private and public contact attempts within one year, this table is free to mod)

• Administrators

Ideally I think if the author is still in the hobby; then the table should be updated to incorporate newer tech/code/images, etc.  Right now we are seeing updates made to VP almost nightly, and these nightly builds are adding newer features better code, ect.  I think a year is a good time, if the original author hasn't made any updates to the table then it's available for modding.  

At the very least; I'd like to make sure that the author is still around.  They can simply log into their uploads and modify the date that they last checked on the table.  This ensures that the author is still interested in the table, and their desire not to allow mods would remain in tact.

Again, this is all up for discussion...I think the current rules regarding this are screwed up and we need to take a fresh/new look into it.

it should all be up to the table author,  you should not put in place a blanket rule, forcing them to update their upload (or check in on their upoad) once a year.  This could potentially scare away uploaders.

Giving table authors more options rather than just Yes and No was a smart move. Maybe you should expand the option list even further:

free to mod?:

-Yes, you are free to do what you want

-Please contact me first. (If I have been inactive on all of the major community websites for more than one year,  this table is free to mod)

-I would appreciate a heads up on any modding plans, but you do not require my permission

-No, please dont mod my table under any circumstance

-????????????

-???????

-etc. etc.

What if the original author completely disappears?  We have had an author or two in the past that died and now nobody can get approval to mod/use resources from that table.

If they explicitly ticked the box " NO, not under any circumstance, not even after my death"  than we should respect that.  I am guessing that given the choice, 95% of table authors will choose one of the other options.

maybe you should do a poll   (where only table uploaders can vote)

• Content Provider

No issues Dazz.  I was looking for an option to allow mods with approval but couldn't locate one.  All I saw was Yes or No.  I didn't want to select "no" and leave it at that but I didn't want to just give a blanket "yes" either.

I'm perfectly fine with people modding any tables I release.  I just want to make sure that I get credit for the work that I've done.  For POTC I have over 200 hours in that table and it would be a real buzz kill to release a table, have someone add a couple things they think are cool, then release it as their table and the original builder falls to the side.  That's happened more than once and it turns people off from releasing a table again which hurts the community.

But, being as open as possible, it's really not as hard to build from scractch as I thought it would be so having to build from scratch if an author goes away would be a pain but not as hard as I originally thought it would be.  I was affraid to do a table from scratch for a long time so I spent most of my time just upgrading old tables.  With POTC I took the plunge and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.  Their are a lot of resource tables out their that have what you need.  Their are also a lot of builders willing to help share knowledge when you get stuck.

Back on track.  I know I have several tables I've modded but wont release because I have not had any luck getting in touch with the orginal builders.  It's a bummer but I figure it just means I'll have to build them from scratch down the road.  For example - I have a captain fantastic that i did a complete redraw of the table and plastics but I can't release since the builder of that version seems to be gone :-( 

• Administrators

Quote >>>  For example - I have a captain fantastic that i did a complete redraw of the table and plastics but I can't release since the builder of that version seems to be gone :-( >>>>>

Thats what sucks, guy could of died or just got sick of vp and left the scene..so now we lose a kickass table thats been updated and cant be released...I agree its time to change these mod rules or options for sure..

• Administrators

(If I have been inactive on all of the major community websites for more than one year,  this table is free to mod)

-I would appreciate a heads up on any modding plans, but you do not require my permission

I dont get that      (all of the major community websites )   Thats definatly not going to fly...

why do I care if your on VPF or PN or whatever,, every site has its own rules..

if you post a table or whatever here it falls under the rules of this site

I could care less about other site rules...If you noticed we playing by our own rules cause its about time B)

the monopoly game has ended and what one site say is like'''''' The word of the vp god''''' lol man give me a break...

It time for change and its happening here ...... :rolleyes: 

I could and would see it different if we were paying or selling this stuff but its free and everybody does it for free so.........................

• Content Provider

Nobody is allowed to mod my tables, they are imho a personal thing i spend alot of time on them and alot of myself goes into em i redraw everything and build all by myself.

I am more than happy to help somebody else make one. I hear alot of ideas on how things should work in this thread but little by actual authors who understand. If an author says no to mod it should stay like that ,we have a hard enough time keeping and attracting authors as it is, the power needs to stay with them on how there work gets distributed.

I don't know how you guys figure out what inside someone's table you want to hold sacred.  After looking at a few tables to help learn how to do my first one it's obvious script snippets and table objects are reused all over.  You can't even tell what came from the original authors half the time.  So I can use or redraw copyrighted images for my table and have it run off of copyrighted roms that we all own..wink wink.   But I grab a bumper or a VB case statement from a table and I have to hold it as something sacred that needs permission?  I can fully see not wanting to allow someone to take a fully developed table and make a tiny mod and call it their own.  But I'm sure not trying to keep track of everywhere I grabbed a sound or copied a bumper or small things like that.

• Administrators

Nobody is allowed to mod my tables, they are imho a personal thing i spend alot of time on them and alot of myself goes into em.

I am more than happy to help somebody else make one. I hear alot of demands on how things should work in this thread but little by actual authors who understand.

and that should be your choice...just more choices should be avalable.......like if you say fuck it im done cya ...choices are ..yes,   no never  , 

if i get hit by a 1381794221.png and go into a coma and you never hear from me again in a year well ok   ..1381784745.gif

but for real i hear your poiint P1, just should be more options is all im sayin.. :D

screw sending 50 emails and not gettin a responce..options just need more options...

I think some people are missing the point that these "rules" will only apply when somebody tries to upload a mod to this site or even VPF. Nobody can stop somebody from starting "VP Galaxy": The place where we take a big dump on every rule ever created. You modded a table and didn`t get the authors permission to release it?? Fuck him... Go for it. You recreated Metallica?? Fuck Stern... Go for it.

Will Dazz and Noah sue that Individual?? Not going to happen. And the VP scene is not that big that nobody will recognize when some asshole tries to "sell" a mod as his own creation here or at VPF

As stated in the other thread. You can`t force somebody into going open source. Not after 200 hours of work, somebody put into the table.

Just my opinion.

"VP Galaxy": The place where we take a big dump on every rule ever created.

That sounds like a cool website, (although Noah believes that VPU has already coined that catchphrase,  at least the domain name is still available.............)

I think that in this small community, there still is honour amongst thieves.

• Administrators

That sounds like a cool website, (although Noah believes that VPU has already coined that catchphrase,  at least the domain name is still available.............)

I think that in this small community, there still is honour amongst thieves.

LMAO now we agree on somthin..lol :D

Archived