[New Future Pinball]Sonic Pinball Mania (PinEvent V2, FizX 3.3)

TerryRed

• Content Provider

Sonic Pinball Mania (PinEvent V2, FizX 3.3)

Sonic Pinball Mania (PinEvent V2 - FizX)

Created by: TerryRed

Version 2.0 (Feb 2024)

Get ready for the most EPIC Sonic pinball table ever created... and a pinball game like you've never seen before!

This has everything a Sonic fan could want in one table. Green Hill zone scenery, Sonic Loop ramp, animated bumpers, springs, item box, checkpoint, chaos emerald flashers, red star spinner, launch tunnel, rotating goal sign, moving robots, animated characters such as Sonic / Knuckles / Shadow... and even Dr Robotnik and his eggmobile which will follow your ball with it's spotlight... and much more!

This table takes full advantage of BAM's latest features with full dynamic lighting and ray cast shadows and shadowmaps to create a stunning visual pinball showcase!

What started as a quick BAM mod to update Brendan Bailey's classic Sonic table of 2005 (which was updated by SLAMT1LT in 2014), evolved into a complete overhaul to the entire table. Everything in the table has either been updated or changed, and I've added so many new things (new layout, art, models, lighting, modes, code, fixes, etc) that it's like a new table. Hence... Sonic Pinball Mania.

This table has been fully updated with FizX physics for game changing new physics on Future Pinball. FizX uses techniques similar to nFozzy physics on VPX to completely change the physics for the flippers, slings, rubbers, targets, ball behavior and more that allows this table play much more realistically than anyone ever thought was possible on Future Pinball. You will be amazed at the difference!

image.thumb.png.8586a7fbe8c5c3436a889fb9d87be767.png

PinEvent V2

This table is also updated to fully support PinEvent V2 features (DOF, PUP SSF, PUP DMD). It has modern PUP DMD display options that can work with all setups. With it's crisp HD text and dazzling videos, it's sure to wow everyone who sees it.

1656313043_PinEventV2Logo.thumb.png.1fb29b7391b14f536b5d10b7baa849ae.png

I'm really proud of what I pulled off with this, and I really hope you enjoy it!

For an EPIC video preview of this table in action with PinEvent V2 features, check out this video:

Thanks of course to these awesome contributors:

TerryRed - Sonic Pinball Mania

Brendan Bailey (PinWizKid) - created the original Sonic the Hedgehog table in 2005

SLAMT1LT - sounds, music, code, DMD, etc from his Ultimate mod in 2014

Schlabber34 - new pre-rendered insert images

FLEEP - new mechanical sounds

JLou - for FizX and support

All the FP lads at Pinball Nirvanna for ideas, examples, and support

Nailbuster - Pinup Player and SSF support

Ravarcade - for creating the awesome BAM and providing assistance with BAM features

Chris Leathley - creator of Future Pinball

DISCLAIMER:

This table is a fan-made work of passion, and is NOT intended for commercial usage or to be included in any part of a commercial sale!

====================================================================

This table is single player only.

Static Camera Views (desktop mode only)

• during attract mode only, you can press plunger to toggle integrated static desktop camera views

• if you want to use your own BAM camera settings, or a FP camera view, then you must disable this feature in TABLE OPTIONS in the table script

SONIC BALL

• right flipper button will toggle between Sonic and Chrome ball texture (only in attract mode). This can be set in TABLE OPTIONS in the table script

Plunger and Action Buttons (digital plunger, special 1, special 2)

• all buttons/keys will activate Sonic Spin Dash and Magna-Spinner
  • all buttons/keys will act as an autoplunger during gameplay

Second Stage Flippers

• this table supports second stage flippers for cabinet players with this setup
  • this needs to be enabled in TABLE OPTIONS in the table script
  • ensure that your Second Flippers are setup in FP Control Settings
  • ensure that your Special 1 and Special 2 keys / buttons are NOT the same keys / buttons as Second Flippers! (they are by default)

BAM Ray Cast Ball Shadows:

• this table was created to look best with the new BAM Ray Cast Ball shadows
  • this feature is ENABLED on the table script by default
  • this feature requires a fast video card, and will use much more of your GPU
  • if the table doesn’t run smooth, then your PC may not be fast enough to handle this feature (and you should disable it)

To disable this feature, you MUST disable it in TABLE OPTIONS (in the table script)

BAM Menu - Light and Post Processing settings:

• BAM Lighting and Post Processing settings are set by the table script and will ALWAYS override the user's settings
  • this is required to ensure that all lighting is set correctly at all times
  • on this table, you can make changes to the Ambient and Diffusion Lighting in the table script in TABLE OPTIONS

Physics: FizX v3.3

===================================================================

Game not running smooth? Try the following:

• run FP in Fullscreen, not Windowed
  • disable RayCast Ball Shadows in TABLE OPTIONS (in table script)
  • disable Reflections options in FP's Video / Rendering settings
  • reduce / disable Antialiasing in FP's Video / Rendering settings
  • disable any SSAO options in BAM plugins menu (disabled by default)

TABLE REQUIREMENTS (very important!)

• all Visual C Runtime updates
  • DirectX
  • Future Pinball
  • the latest BAM update
  • FuturePinball.exe and FPLoader.exe patched for 4 GB access
  • BAM Settings files installed
  • FizX 1K ball model (for more accurate physics, default.zip in BAM folder)
  • the REQUIRED “Video / Rendering Options” and “Editor Options” in Future Pinball video settings

All of the above is included with the latest FP and BAM Essentials AIO package!

Super easy to use for a new install, or just to update your existing install. I recommend everyone install this package to ensure you have the latest required BAM updates.

https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/14807-future-pinball-and-bam-essentials-all-in-one-complete/

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS (REQUIRED)

• PLEASE read the Install Instructions (included with the table's zip file)
  • it shows you how to check what version of BAM you have installed
  • it shows you how to install all the REQUIRED items above
  • it shows you how to easily setup FP and BAM with the REQUIRED settings
  • It's super easy, and only takes minutes to do!

How to run Future Pinball to play the table

PLEASE read the Install Instructions (included with the table's zip file) to know how to properly use FP and BAM

PROBLEMS?

Read the Install Instructions included in the table's zip file. It tells you everything you need to know!

Table MODS

• please read the Disclaimer in the Install Instructions included with the table
  • please ask me first, as I am still updating this table

Still pretty new to all of this.  Anyone have any pointers on getting the backglass to just show the translite and move the DMD/apron to a 3rd screen?  I followed the link in the post, but that seemed to only indicate how to get the just the DMD to mirror and I am not sure that is what I am looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This table is tons of fun by the way.  The fam and I have been having a blast!

• 1 month later...

Hey @TerryRed, think I found some sort of bug. I've been able to replicate it twice. On the part where you go through the loop and pick up an item, whenever it is on "shield" pickup and you pick up the shield, the game comes to a super slowdown. Like 1 frame every 5 sec. and is unplayable. I've picked up rings, etc. in the same spot without this happening. Only happens so far with the Shield pickup. Any way I can control the ball like you do in your videos so I can drag it there and keep trying to trouble shoot? Thanks. 

I saw this in the notes (- new PowerUp: Shield - shield around ball and slows down speed of entire table), but not sure if its behaving the way its suppose to. If so, how long does this effect last? 

I have a pretty powerful PC also. I9 9700k with a 2080ti installed and 32GB ram. 

I also disabled the shield effect in script, which made it a bit better, but still not playable. Maybe 1 frame every 2 seconds. 

• Content Provider
15 hours ago, PsychoKiller said:

Hey @TerryRed, think I found some sort of bug. I've been able to replicate it twice. On the part where you go through the loop and pick up an item, whenever it is on "shield" pickup and you pick up the shield, the game comes to a super slowdown. Like 1 frame every 5 sec. and is unplayable. I've picked up rings, etc. in the same spot without this happening. Only happens so far with the Shield pickup. Any way I can control the ball like you do in your videos so I can drag it there and keep trying to trouble shoot? Thanks. 

I saw this in the notes (- new PowerUp: Shield - shield around ball and slows down speed of entire table), but not sure if its behaving the way its suppose to. If so, how long does this effect last? 

I have a pretty powerful PC also. I9 9700k with a 2080ti installed and 32GB ram. 

I also disabled the shield effect in script, which made it a bit better, but still not playable. Maybe 1 frame every 2 seconds. 

The shield powerup is supposed to slow the game down to 75% of normal speed for 20 seconds. That is intended.

Be sure you are using my exact FP Video settings, and you aren't using any different settings for VSYNC in your video driver's settings.

There's not really anything to troubleshoot, as its not specific to the table / code.... its something on your system / settings slowing it down. Be sure you completely CLOSE FP after you exit any table. It needs to start fresh everytime you load it.

I have an I5 4670K and GTX 1080, and that's what I created / tested this on in 4K. My cabinet is i5 9600K and GTX 1080 and also running in 4K. The only slow down I get is from having ray cast enabled during multiball in cabient view. Other than that it runs fine.

You can see how its supposed to look in my gameplay videos, which were all recorded in 4K while playing.

If you want Ball controller, you need to enable that in your controller settings in FP (the axis, and the button to enable it).

I think that is what is going on. Think I have vsync or gsync enable in my nvidia control panel. Yeah, I was able to go to the restroom and back and ball was still not close to bumpers. Lasted about 20 min. lol. Ill check it out when I get home from work and post my findings. Thank you. 

• Content Provider
2 minutes ago, PsychoKiller said:

Ok @TerryRed I found out the problem. Looks like I had cabinet (Playfield/Translite) Glass on. Once I turned it off, shield worked like expected. Thanks again. Amazing game. That was my only problem and its was on my end. Got everything turned on as well. Love the shadows from the ball, etc. Very fun. 

Good to know. I've always had those turned off, and include that in the video settings I recommend... but I never saw it cause something like that (since most people now always keep that off).

Yeah, I have always seen your settings as having it off, it was on with mine only because I would hit the maximum preset settings that would toggle it on. No other table has given me a problem, not even this one except the shield upgrade. Shoes, etc. so far all worked, only shield gave the problem. Either way, Im glad its working as intended. I am loving it. Your a very talented man. 

I have a different problem with my test pc which is more powerful than my cabinet. All other tables work fine, even the Blue vs pink PinEvent v2 table, but for some reason sonic crashes every single time at the exact same place. Can't even get into play the game because it crashes right at the beginning about 5 seconds in to the table. I've even tried adding credit to table, which it does, but still crashes at the same exact spot.. It works fine on my cabinet, but not my test pc. I can't figure out what is going on. I've done everything from making sure all FP settings are perfect, I've reinstalled C++ files, PinUp Update 2-28-2022, Rebooted, reinstalled drivers for graphics card, set FSloader to win 8 compat, made sure to put NONE in "Keep Displays ON" and choose PinEvent for "Custom Launch Param" also tried copying the files from the working cabinet to the test pc. I just can't figure this one out and I'm stumped. If anyone can help, I've included the Bam crash file as well as a screenshot of what is freezing up that I have to use task manager to close. Thank you. 

Frozen Files.jpg

BAM_CRASH.log

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, lafester said:

This started showing on my fp tables today after launching with popper. Not sure how to remove? I was getting a windows error with dmdext so that probably made fp change settings. 

20221014_194721.jpg

That is the HUD.  If Terry coded the HUD Toggle Key, you could press that to remove it.  If it is not coded, you can open the translite in the FP editor and move the HUD DMD and overlay above the backbox.  You may have to right click on them to unlock so you can move.  

• Content Provider
14 hours ago, lafester said:

This started showing on my fp tables today after launching with popper. Not sure how to remove? I was getting a windows error with dmdext so that probably made fp change settings. 

20221014_194721.jpg

The FAQ of the included install instructions tells you exactly how to solve this... and even shows a picture of the issue.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah I cannot get this table to work for the life of me. Followed the instructions precisely and still nothing. I attached an image for reference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sonic FP ERROR.jpg

Edited by Sandro
Image uploaded incorrectly

• 8 months later...

Something about 1.8 disabled the pupdmd and ssf, Terry. 1.7, 1.6 both run fine but 1.8 will not. I have the settings correct in PinEvent_V2_Settings.txt and I even tried setting ssf and pupdmd as custom settings in script. when I load with F9 it shows them as disabled no matter what I try

EDIT: Im a dummy. RTFM! needed to update the puppack too. works great as always Terry thanks (sheepish grin)

Edited by Cliffy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...