Need Help With New Install

Itchigo

• Content Provider

I think my browser did that because opening it in wordpad they are not there.

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<menu>
  <game name="ACDC">
    <description>ORIGINAL</description>
    <manufacturer>ORIGINAL</manufacturer>
    <year>2011</year>
    <type>DMD</type>
  </game>

</menu>

I tried another table, same result. This is what I am using.

Also I checked. It's an XML Document.

Right, just a recap:  you can't put "original" as a description, that has to be a name that matches your art files (wheel/table/backglass) minus the .png extension.  DMD is not used for type:  I think the 3 choices are EM, SS and Original (that's where you put your original file.  DMD seems like a logical choice but from a pinball "type" perspective, a DMD game IS a Solid State game.

Anyways, aside from that, I used your visual pinball xml as is and it loads, just says "original" as the name of the one table of course.  So if you can't load at all, your problem is elsewhere.  Keep in mind, I am using fplaunch WIP9.

• Content Provider

Loafmeister, I believe I have the same thing (wip9).

Rosve, great to see you again! I have been using notepad to edit, but I think when I pasted here I used wordpad. I remember one of them being bad to use, but didn't remember which one.

Last night, I was literally just about to scrap hp all together. I literally had a window open with my reply, when- it started loading....

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<menu>
  <game name="ACDC">
    <description>ACDC</description>
    <manufacturer>Bally</manufacturer>
    <year>2011</year>
    <type>OG</type>
  </game>
</menu>

My plan is now to cut out the middle section, copy and paste, and replace the info.

<game name="newgame">
    <description>newgame</description>
    <manufacturer>Bally</manufacturer>
    <year>2011</year>
    <type>OG</type>
  </game>

My problem now is that it can't find the .exe.

The location is correct, this is the core of my installation.

Exe                 = V:\Visual Pinball\Tables\VPinball914.exe

Is this written correctly?

(Where's that torrent again)? jk

• Content Provider

This program is slow..... I make changes, and they don't show up. I was told in chat it should be Vpinball.exe

I add another table- and it doesn't show up, with no errors!

First thing: Path to exe. see screenshot. Obviously, I know that isn't right. Yet, here's my settings .ini

Exe                 = V:\Visual Pinball\tables\VPinball.exe

Second:

I added a table to the xml.

<game name="Amazing_Spiderman">
    <description>Amazing_Spiderman</description>
    <manufacturer>Gottlieb</manufacturer>
    <year>1980</year>
    <type>SS</type>
  </game>

No errors, but it shows 1 table!

So what's going on here? Why will this program not update any information I change? I saved any changes I made and it does the same thing.

Edit: WTF is going on here? ten minutes later I add a third table and all three show up?! Still won't update the .exe.

post-4-0-72753900-1375894279_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Itchi,

First off... stop manually editing the database XML files.  Download the HyperPin XML editor. There is definitely something wrong with your database XML. Second, you are 100% positive that your drive letter is "V"?  The screenshot tells me that you have an incorrect path somewhere.  

Please attach your settings.ini from Hyperpin/Settings/ and your Visual Pinball.xml from your Database folder.

• Content Provider

Ok, from what I can tell my xml problems were caused  by not knowing about "original", and "dmd", etc. I have my original xml I wrote, adjusted the "original" and "dmd" entries, and it all works now. My main (guessing only) problem is the .exe path.

Below is my error screen.

Attached is my settings.ini

Path                = V:\Visual Pinball\Tables     Is the core of my vp install. It's a vp8 folder that has the 9.14 full install from here. I also have a copy of 9.14.exe named Vpinball.exe for Hyperpin to find. Next to it I have a copy of that exe as "9.14" for table editing. Note, both are from Koadic's daily builds, but have been renamed. That's where I'm at now.

Down the road, I need to remap the shift keys, as HP doesn't like X-padder. I was thinking of using Z as left, and / as right. Deegor can tell you all about this.

Settings.zip

post-4-0-28668400-1375923011_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

Edit: I finally got it working! I found a \ that was missing from the .exe line. Thanks to Loafmeister, Arngrim, Rosve, and Dazz. Obviously, I'm backing my stuff up right now.....

• Content Provider

The only problem I have is right shift. It seems no matter what key I put in my settings.ini, my flippers move the wheel. Rightshift just returns to menu. It must be written in that way. But thank you for your help, and it was good seeing you in chat again. :)

The two shift keys are supposed to rotate the wheel, right shift is not supposed to return to the menu. There must be an error in your settings.ini for the keyboard mapping. Everyone I know that has a cab is using either the iPac 2 or the nudging board and i dont think anyone has had any issues. If u use anything else, then someone else with that setup may be able to assist you?

• Content Provider

It's not the settings .ini, but I don't have an I-pac, I have a keywiz which I'm told is the problem. I don't understand why it is a problem, but Deegor has remoted into my setup and told me that. No matter what I change the keys to, right shift does that.

• Content Provider

I know, but I'm on a very limited budget right now. I have no problem putting it on my "to do" list, but I don't understand why. It seems the I-pac does the same thing does- keyboard input. It almost seems the problem lies more with X-padder. What I mean is the board is registering the press, but X-padder is screwing up the assingnment. That's my interpretation anyway.

If the board is doing the keyboard mapping, why do you need to use xpadder?  Can't you change the keyboard mapping for your keywiz?  A friend of mine has just a keyboard hack and that's what we did, we downloaded one of the many free keyboard mapping that ties into windows and voila, no limits to what we can do.  I don't remember which one my buddy is using but google it, there are many free solutions.

• Content Provider

No, the board is just registering the hit. X-padder is mapping the keys.

The thing is, if I remap the key in hyperpin for the wheel. Say I make the arrow keys (left and right) move the wheel in the settings.ini. They will work with the arrow keys. But hitting the flippers will also work- even though it's no longer set for the shift keys. Making me believe something is pre-wired into hyperpin about the shift keys.

Archived