Need Help With New Install

Itchigo

• Content Provider

I'm trying to setup Hyperpin on my cab since I reformatted. I'm having an issue. Right now I think my paths are ok in the settings.ini. I wrote my own xml (I know there are no typos as I copied and pasted). (Wasn't crazy about the editor, so I did it myself). When I start hyperpin I get 9 tables to play, all originals, nothing else shows up, just the word original. All games have table names, most don't have a description, all have a type. Here's my xml file. If I click on the word "Original", nothing happens. Can someone please tell me where I went wrong? Thanks.

Visual Pinball.xml

The description field is mandatory.  Description is the filename used to display the table image, background image and wheel image or the name of the table.  Without it, Hyperpin will not list that table. 

Here is an example:

<game name="Eight_Ball_Deluxe_JP_vp9">
         <description>Eight Ball Deluxe (Bally 1981)</description>
         <manufacturer>Bally</manufacturer>
         <year>1981</year>
         <type>SS</type>
</game>

Why original is not launching?  Game name needs to be the VP table filename.  

Start with just one table in your xml file and get that working, then add the rest.  Change the <game name= to the actual table filename, set the <description> to the text you are using in game name, and <manufacturer> is probably where you should put "Original"...   

• Content Provider

The description field is mandatory.  Description is the filename used to display the table image, background image and wheel image or the name of the table.  Without it, Hyperpin will not list that table. 

Why original is not launching?  Game name needs to be the VP table filename.  

Thanks guys, I didn't know this. I wasn't crazy about the editor because it kept adding a blank choice (or I was doing it wrong). So I just made some blank fields and copied and pasted, then inserted my names/info. My filenames are correct, I know that. More to come....

• Content Provider

Ok, more problems...Now it boots to a blank screen when I start Hyperpin. It came up to the selection screen before... This is why I ditched it the first time, things keep changing for no reason. Paths are correct. What next? All I did to the xml was add the tablename as the description, so they would show up.

• Content Provider

come on, that is simple

Just take that as an example

<game name="TableName goes here">
<description>250cc (Inder 1992)</description>
<manufacturer>Inder</manufacturer>
<year>1992</year>
<type>SS</type>
</game>

replace the values and Try with only one table in your xml file

and when that works, add the other tables 

• Content Provider

I seemed to get an extra selection/game at the top that I couldn't get rid of. If I messed up and went to edit, I'd get a blank one after editing. Maybe I did something wrong, but using notepad was easier. I just copied a bunch of blanks, and inserted my info. In short, I got frustrated with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Had a bit of time to check things. With 1 table I get the same thing- blank screen, and I have to use task manager to close it.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<menu>

-<game name="4_Million_BC"><description>4_Million_BC

(Bally 1984)</description>

<year>1984</year>

<type>EM</type>

</game>

</menu>

post-4-0-95927900-1375433475_thumb.jpg

Had a bit of time to check things. With 1 table I get the same thing- blank screen, and I have to use task manager to close it.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<menu>

<year>1984</year>

<type>EM</type>

</game>

</menu>

Lets take a look at this closer:

This is my XML that would include 4 million BC as its only table.  I'll show it twice, once how it looks, and once which explains everything on a line per line basis:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>

<menu>

<game name="4MBC_FS_B2S">

<description>Four Million B.C. (Bally 1971)</description>

<year>1971</year>

<type>EM</type>

</game>

</menu>

with explanations:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>   ---->  I don't know if this is necessary but it should only appear once, at the top of the visual pinball.xml which is located in the "\HyperPin\Databases\Visual Pinball" folder

<menu>   --->  This will only appear ONCE in the XML, should be the second line. If you have it twice or more, remove the others

<game name="4MBC_FS_B2S">  --->  This line represents the table file name, without the extension and without the quotes.  IE: In my VP tables folder (identified in the hyperpin settings.ini file), I have a file called 4MBC_FS_B2S.vpt.  If the <game name=> table name is not named the same as your table, then rename it to whatever your table name is.

<description>Four Million B.C. (Bally 1971)</description>  --->  This represents the art assets name.  IE:  In the "\HyperPin\Media\Visual Pinball" folder, there should be 4 folders named:  Backglass Images, Table Images, Table Videos and Wheel Images.  In each of these 4 folders, the art assets associated with this table must be named as outlined under the description.  In other words, in each of those folders, you should have a file named "Four Million B.C. (Bally 1971).png" (well, obviously except for the video which is not a PNG so forget about that one for now, its not necessary anyway), so the 3 folders minus the video folder would look like this...

\HyperPin\Media\Visual Pinball\Backglass Images\Four Million B.C. (Bally 1971).png

\HyperPin\Media\Visual Pinball\Table Images\Four Million B.C. (Bally 1971).png

\HyperPin\Media\Visual Pinball\Wheel Images\Four Million B.C. (Bally 1971).png

<manufacturer>Bally</manufacturer>  ---->  This field represents the manufacturer (duh! ;) ). This is not a mandatory field, but its useful if you want to use Hyperpin's ability to sort by manufacturer.  I can't remember exactly but Hyperpin has a limit on how many manufacturer it shows, so although you can put "Inder" as a manufacturer, or even Itchigo for your originals, you can't just display anything that's not internally supported.t... at least right now with the present version.

<year>1971</year>  --->  The year the pin was made.  This is used to sort via "decades".  This is not a mandatory field AFAIK

<type>EM</type>   --->  Type of pinball game, I don't believe this is mandatory, though I have an entry for all tables.  This is where I usually put in :  "Original" to identify that this is not a recreation of a real life table.

</game>  --->  This is a very important field, as it tells HyperPin "This is the last line for THIS game".  IE:  <game name="4MBC_FS_B2S"> is the first line, </game> is the last line Hyperpin uses for this one table.

</menu>  --->  This line is only found once, at the end of the "Visual Pinball.xml".  If you have it twice, then that will cause problems.  If you don't have it at the end, everything after it will either cause a problem or will be ignored.   </menu> is directly tied to <menu> located on the second line of this xml, one (at the top) indicates this is where the database starts, the other indicates this is where it stops. 

So now lets have a closer look at your XML.  Keep in mind, this is what I am seeing, if you copy/pasted it differently than what I see, that could be a problem.  I just reinstalled my test PC and don't have hyperpin on it right now, so I can't test this out, so I may be wrong (anyone reading this, please don't hesitate to correct my interpretation!)

Your XML:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<menu>   **** there is a minus "-" before the word menu.  I don't know how hyperpin will interpret this but I would think it doesn't like it. Remove the minus

****  Again, there is a minus here, remove it.   As well, You have part of the description on the file name line, and part on the next line. This is actually not a deal breaker and I think its just the way you pasted it in from the attached pic but just so you know because you are new at this, I would recommend each line is on its own, less confusing that way.  So this is how your line should be:

<game name="4_Million_BC">               (if that is the file name of the table)

<description>4_Million_BC (Bally 1984)</description>        (if 4_Million_BC (Bally 1984).png is the name of the 3 art assets you use for backglass, table and wheel images)

Question:  is your 4 million BC table actually called 4_Million_BC?  If its the B2S, you may or may not have trouble getting it to work, as the old style B2S needed the file to end with B2S (I think?).  But that's another story for another day :)

The following 3 lines are not deal breakers if they are inaccurate, at least I don't think they are, so lets forget them for now, they should not crash Hyperpin!

<year>1984</year>

<type>EM</type>

</game>  ***** This line is ok

</menu>  ***** This line is ok

So a recap, I think that minus is what's causing you trouble with your XML, but the other explanations I've given you should not only work, but also allow you to see the table/backglass/wheel images show up once you see hyperpin.  If that works, but the table doesn't launch, that could be caused by not identifying the VP and tables path in the \HyperPin\Settings\settings.ini file.

To finish this off and to ensure the /game and /menu are understood, let's look at an xml containing 3 tables:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>

<menu>

<game name="250cc_VP91x_1.1FS">

<description>250cc (Inder 1992)</description>

<manufacturer>Inder</manufacturer>

<year>1992</year>

<type>SS</type>

</game>

<game name="4MBC_FS_B2S">

<description>Four Million B.C. (Bally 1971)</description>

<year>1971</year>

<type>EM</type>

</game>

<game name="Sinbad_VP912_FS_1.0">

<description>Sinbad (Gottlieb 1978)</description>

<manufacturer>Gottlieb</manufacturer>

<year>1978</year>

<type>SS</type>

</game>

</menu>

As you can see, for each <game name="table filename"> lines, I have a corresponding </game>, so I have 3 of them.  For the one <menu> entry, I have one </menu> at the end of the xml.

I hope this help, sometimes too much explanation can make things worse, sorry if it did so.

edit:  Can you post the [Visual Pinball] section of your "settings.ini"?  This is mine:

[Visual Pinball]

Show_Games          = true

Path                = D:\Pinball\Visual Pinball\

Table_Path          = C:\HyperPin\VP Tables\

Table_Video_Path    = C:\HyperPin\Media\Visual Pinball\Table Videos\

Table_Image_Path    = C:\HyperPin\Media\Visual Pinball\Table Images\

Backglass_Image_Path= C:\HyperPin\Media\Visual Pinball\Backglass Images\

Exe                 = VPinball.exe

Note my paths, your attached pic seems to indicate you have hyperpin installed on drive V:  so ensure your paths reflect this. You don't have to have VP installed on the same drive but the path of both VP and the table folder must be presented properly in this settings.ini file.

Good luck!

Rob

• Content Provider

Thanks, here's what I have. I started with blanks like this, and inserted the name, and the other info I had (incomplete, but all had names).

4_Million_BC is named correctly, but I think it's an old B2s.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<game name="">

<description></description>

<manufacturer></manufacturer>

<year></year>

<type></type>

</game>

</menu>

This eliminated typos doing it this way.

My settings .ini: I have no wheel images or other stuff yet, this was just to get up and running. Outside of what is shown here, everything else should be stock.

[Video]
Playfield_Monitor   = Primary
Playfield_Rotation  = 270
Backglass_Monitor   = Secondary
Quality             = BEST
Table_Video_Enabled = false
Table_Video_Offset  = 50
Use_Backglass       = true
Backglass_Image_x   = 0
Backglass_Image_y   = 0
Backglass_Image_w   = 1280
Backglass_Image_h   = 1024
Backglass_Image_r   = 0
Backglass_Delay     = .1

[Visual Pinball]
Show_Games          = true
Path                = V:\Visual Pinball\Tables
Table_Path          = V:\New B2S Tables done\
Table_Video_Path    = V:\HyperPin\Media\Visual Pinball\Table Videos\
Table_Image_Path    = V:\HyperPin\Media\Visual Pinball\Table Images\
Backglass_Image_Path= V:\HyperPin\Media\Visual Pinball\Backglass Images\
Exe                 = VPinball914.exe

These paths are correct.

I am using a separate drive as this computer is not dedicated for my cab, it runs the cab by "remote" from 6 ft away. I extend the screens before I start, and back to duplcate to work. All my vp stuff is in my V: drive. I do have old and new B2s in this folder, everything in this folder works 100% and was tested prior to this. Tables with issues are in the folder "Not working".

My original issue was that it would crash on opening a table, but the menu worked ok. Essentially it was doing the same thing when I opened a table as it's doing now. The difference is it's not showing the menu.

Path = V:\Visual Pinball\Tables. <--- this path should be where you have VP installed (where the exe is located), odd that you have "tables" there.

Aside from that, not sure from your post the issue you are having. So you click on Hyperpin.exe to load Hyperpin, what exactly happens? Black screen? error message? Incidentally, if you are going to try it friend, take the 30 secs to put in the 3 art assets for each of the games listed in you database, makes he test more worthwhile :)

• Content Provider

V:\Visual Pinball\Tables is a throwback to my vp8's. My vp8's were Visual Pinball Tables, and VPM was VPM Tables. So Visual Pinball tables is the core of my install. I run 9.16, under the guise of 9.14 renamed in that folder. (9.14 full install from here). All tables play in the editor. New B2s tables are B2s Tables. It has been combined with old B2s Tables, all contents into one folder. There is nothing in that folder w/o a backglass, and I don't run uvp. (Unrelated) I also have a "testing area" where I have an extra copy of the B2s server for testing tables BEFORE they are added to the working folder. Yes, I'm OBC...

I don't really have time for wheels and artwork, I just wanted to get it running I didn't think it was important to making it work. Once it's running I can work with it as I get time.

Originally I got 6 or 7 table selections, then it went to a blank screen when I selected the table.

Now, it goes to a blank screen BEFORE it shows any selections at all.

By the way I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to help me. :)

Thanks, here's what I have. I started with blanks like this, and inserted the name, and the other info I had (incomplete, but all had names).

4_Million_BC is named correctly, but I think it's an old B2s.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<game name="">

<description></description>

<manufacturer></manufacturer>

<year></year>

<type></type>

</game>

</menu>

This eliminated typos doing it this way.

As loafmeister mentioned above, it appears you have a "-" in front of <game name="">. Remove this and try again.

• Content Provider

No, sorry. I showed that as an example of how I made "blanks". There is a "" in there because there is no tablename between them. That's not my problem here. But, from the error logs, it does seem to be my xml though...

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="true"?>
-<menu>-<game name="ACDC"><description>ORIGINAL</description><manufacturer>ORIGINAL</manufacturer><year>2011</year><type>DMD</type></game></menu>

Here is my error log:

08:00:18 PM |  HyperSpin Started
08:00:18 PM |  Setting up monitors
08:00:18 PM |  Starting Backglass
08:00:18 PM |  Startup Program Unvavailable
08:00:18 PM |  Visual Pinball.xml found
08:00:18 PM |  Error Invalid XML:
08:00:18 PM |  Could not parse xml
               Possible Solutions:
                                  -Check that current menu's xml is valid
08:00:18 PM |  Dual monitor found
08:00:18 PM |  Starting Playfield
08:00:18 PM |  Auto Detect is on
08:00:18 PM |  Playfield monitor is not rotated
08:00:18 PM |  Setting Playfield rotation to 270
08:00:21 PM |  Quiting program
08:00:21 PM |  Exit Program Unvavailable
08:00:21 PM |  Bye!

... stupid question, I know, but you didn't by any chance save this in notepad with the extension as txt?  IE: ensure your windows explorer is set up to show file extensions and then see to ensure its not called "Visual Pinball.xml.txt"

and can you post a new copy/paste of your xml, but without any addtions to show us blanks or anything.  In the post above, yet again you have "-" in there.  Also, you have terms such as "original" entered under "description".  In my very long winded post higher up, I explained that the description line is to identify the art assets so of course, putting "original" in there won't work.  So pardon my honest question but, did you read my posts?  You thanked me for it (and I appreciate that) but what you are posting after looks like you didn't.

Here's that section again:

<description>Four Million B.C. (Bally 1971)</description>  --->  This represents the art assets name.  IE:  In the "\HyperPin\Media\Visual Pinball" folder, there should be 4 folders named:  Backglass Images, Table Images, Table Videos and Wheel Images.  In each of these 4 folders, the art assets associated with this table must be named as outlined under the description.  In other words, in each of those folders, you should have a file named "Four Million B.C. (Bally 1971).png" (well, obviously except for the video which is not a PNG so forget about that one for now, its not necessary anyway), so the 3 folders minus the video folder would look like this...

So copy your XML EXACTLY AS IT IS and paste it here and lets see if we can help.  But before doing so, HUMOR ME and get the bloody art files in place for whatever you are using as an example, just to ensure its not crapping out because none of them exist :)  I know the table and backglass are not necessary because you can create them from running the table and pressing "o" and "u" (it even names them properly as per the "<description> line), but at least it eliminates that.

But personally, I think its the format and the content you are using.  Please reread my previous long message and use examples for naming for each of those fields that matches that, then test it out and see how it goes.

• Content Provider
Here's the full xml with one table..

<menu>

<game name="Monster Bash">

<description>Monster Bash (Williams 1998)</description>

<manufacturer>Williams</manufacturer>

<year>1998</year>

<type>SS</type>

</game>

</menu>

Archived