[New VPX Alert]O Brother Where Art Thou

• Content Provider

O Brother Where Art Thou

This is a tribute to the Coen Brother's 2000 film from Touchstone Pictures, and the Grammy Award winning soundtrack produced by T-Bone Burnett. This does NOT include the music files. See below for instructions.

This was developed and tested in Ver. 10.6. Users of 10.7 report issues with the game.

It is a collaboration with Scottacus (hours of scripting and adjusting, and game improvements) and bord (physics and game improvements). I'm grateful to both, and Loserman76 for some early scripting proof of concepts,  for their time and patience.  I appreciate all comments good and bad, and bringing issues to light. Thanks also to the beta testers: Thalamus (who also recommended a key improvement to multiball), JFR1, mlager. Also to Arngrim for DOF in v1.5.

Hold left flipper button for option menu.

GAME PLAY:

It's tough, but, I hope, sort of addicting. You are on a journey to find the treasure, your score is your take of the loot. You must first lock Everett's, Delmar's, and Pete's saucers with balls to escape the chain gang. Multiball is a mad scramble to get away. The center "Skedaddle" saucer (behind the DTs) scores $5000 per hit in multiball  Then you must collect objects on the playfield. Once you have the object(s) for that stage, ball lock for multiball begins again, and you shoot the 3 saucers. Repeat until you reach the treasure. Don't forget backflips.

NOTE: Your progress through the journey does not reset on each ball, but other goals do. When more than one player, players are amassing their individual take of the treasure, but they are working together to complete the journey.

O Brother Where Art Thou

Zoss Pinball Co., 2021

1. Follow the Flashing Inserts! Seek the Treasure!

2. First, escape the chain gang! Lock balls in Everett, Pete & Delmar Saucers to start Multiball.

3. When one ball remains in play, the next stage of your journey will begin.

4. Shoot for targets/triggers with flashing lights.

5. Once flashing targets are hit, the Trio’s Saucers will lock balls for Multiball.

6. Shoot for SKEDADDLE for big payout: $5000 per hit during multiball.

7. Drop Targets: BONA earns 2X. FIDE earns 3x

8. Collect 5 Rollover Keys to double Multipliers. Each 5 Keys collected lights a Lock. 3 locks = extra ball.

9. Dapper Dan target lights bumpers, FOP target turns ‘em off.

10. Sling hits sell records. Get 20 per ball and get a "big fat contract."

11. The blue "Light Fingers" light behind the DTs is a skill shot with a good payoff.  But it only comes on when you have a shot. 

Hope you enjoy it. Onevox

A note about SLOPE. Some folks have reported a floaty ball in VPX 10.7. If you are using 10.7 and this is your only issue, try increasing the PF slope to 6.5 or 6.75. If you are on 10.6 and the ball isn't fast enough for your tastes, try playing the game for a while before changing the slope. The game is supposed to be slow, then frenetic (multiball), then slow, just like the scenes in the movie. 

NOTE: Distribution of this table or its related files on a computer, virtual pinball machine or storage device, which is SOLD as part of a commercial product, or sharing this file as part of "all in one" package installation via Mega (or similar sites) or via a file transfer process is not allowed. 

Add music: Buy the soundtrack, or grab the songs from your music library, convert to .mp3 and rename them  as shown below . Place them in an unzipped folder named "OBWAT" and put that folder in your VPX Music folder.  

Here are the songs used:

OBWAT1.mp3     Man of Constant Sorrow, studio version

OBWAT2.mp3    Man of Constant Sorrow, rally version

OBWAT3.mp3    In the Jailhouse Now

OBWAT4.mp3    Keep on the Sunny Side

OBWAT5.mp3    I'll Fly Away

OBWAT6.mp3    Big Rock Candy Mountain

OBWAT7.mp3    Hard Time Killing Floor Blues

OBWAT8.mp3    Angel Band

OBWAT9.mp3    You Are My Sunshine

OBWAT11.mp3    In The Highways

OBWAT13.mp3    I Am Weary

Fuck you ... if this is not "This is quirky game, and probably not to everyone's likin'"

Yes, it is different, and basesd on goals to achieve. Should admit, would been a good idea to let beta testers actually, test this feature ;) But,I'm sure it if fine since you're releasing it. Hiuge Congratulations on creationg something unuque with a proper theme behind it. With your cuphead, we ( me at least ) I knew that this was something to keep an eye out for. Again, curious to see how the mb combo will work with the table, personally, right of the bat, genius solution to my request. Looking forward to play this tomorrow. Thanks a bunch @Onevoxand contributors.

A long wait ends, must have been a odysse and sysiphus work! I know the movie and own the soundtrack for years, cant wait to play and get back some lost memories. Thanks for sharing your passion!

(seems like the file is pretty good hidden, maybe not tagged correctly or by purpose?)

This is probably going to be a really stupid question but how do you start a game? I have tried many times now but "1" which always starts games for me in VPX does not work. I can add credits with "5" but for the life of me I can't get this game to start. It looks awesome and I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to start this beautiful table.

21 hours ago, Ecktown said:

This is probably going to be a really stupid question but how do you start a game? I have tried many times now but "1" which always starts games for me in VPX does not work. I can add credits with "5" but for the life of me I can't get this game to start. It looks awesome and I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to start this beautiful table.

Many of my VPX games start with the "C" key. I can start the game, and the ball loads into the trough, but the ball doesn't move when I use the plunger. I'm running the 1.3 version.

Great and fantastic looking table , I found that I need to press the C key twice to get the ball to drop into starting position ,the result is game palys fine it just forces a 2 person game , no 1 player at this time.

Love this movie and its sound track . Tanks so much . Let me know if there is a work around to play single player.

22 hours ago, gparker said:

Great and fantastic looking table , I found that I need to press the C key twice to get the ball to drop into starting position ,the result is game palys fine it just forces a 2 person game , no 1 player at this time.

Love this movie and its sound track . Tanks so much . Let me know if there is a work around to play single player.

That's my experience as well, but I don't mind playing twice as long. :)

I'm also seeing a script error when I try to enter my intitals at game end, and that crashes the table.

Try commenting out this part of the table script

If keycode = 46 Then' C Key
       stopSound "FlipBuzzLA"
       stopSound "FlipBuzzLB"
       stopSound "FlipBuzzLC"
       stopSound "FlipBuzzLD"
       stopSound "FlipBuzzRA"
       stopSound "FlipBuzzRB"
       stopSound "FlipBuzzRC"
       stopSound "FlipBuzzRD"
        If contball = 1 Then
            contball = 0