What table suits your playstyle and personality?

I'm always interested in the community.  

What table is your 'playstyle?'  Do you get just amp'd up screaming and slapping or are you the 'awww shucks' kinda slow plunger watch it go around like it's the fucking sun betsy-driving smooth operator persona? 

Me?  You  know me.

I beat the shit out of my cab.  

I scream.  I would drop kick most tables if they were people.  This thing is my out.

Out of 300ish well groomed tables at 120hz 4k, I'd say a table like TRON just gets me WIRED.  Just stuff everywhere.  I'm dancing, kicking, screaming, giving fingers to pixels, twirls....I'm hot writing this.  I gotta go.

Tell us who you are if you identified as a table and how you court that thing when it's bappin, bingin, and flickin.

Recently, TWD has been a goto because almost every fridays for 2-3 months now I've had a friend over fighting for the total number of wins. Thing is, he know I get extra mad if I loose on that machine. I don't know, does shaking the cab so much that the plate that holds the speakers and dmd fell off  ? Fortunately, didn't break, and I've come a better solution now. Saying that TWD is the only one that get me pumped would be wrong though. I really am I poor looser and drinking beers doesn't help. Our competition works this way. One person picks a table, we play warmups until the person who pick the table says we are ready for the two rounds of scoring. Then we switch and one person  can't pick the same table again, but, it can be picked again by the other guy. I tend to pick new games he hasn't seen before to teach him new games. Last week, he picked Alien Star. I love to tease him that he is still to win a single round on it. Unfortunately, in the week to come, I'm on call at work, so there probably won't be any competition, or at least it would have to be without beers ...

The Getaway, all the way! Coupled with Mr. Tantrum's bass thumping techno pinsound mixes it is crazy good time, gets my adrenaline pumping every time! Nothing beats the late 80's/early 90's machines, regardless of how many ramps, shiny toys and clever locks they keep jamming into the newer machines.

Yeah guys!  Great stories!  Had a strange science I worked on for some time in my garage that was a commercial machine, meaning it had that 80's, very played smell.  Not dank, but just...I don't know...80's..and I loved sticking my head in the belly and getting a huff.  I can still catch a hint of it every now and then when I step into the garage.  

New mod idea...a scent sprayer.  Lightly of course...with smells of the era.  Really seal the deal on immersion.  

I plan on playing all of the tables mentioned in this thread btw.  Try to mix up my own rotations!

Dang B-law.... you on vacation with a few cases of Stella? 

I screwed and glued my cab together before I remembered I had a biscuit joiner.  Oops.  So my gameplay/nudging has really changed.  No tossing things about.  My cab is creaky. 

Roths/Bords Star Trek '79 continues to fascinate.  Really hoping more tables get this treatment.

Thanks again for the B-law ball I continue to use.  

Cheers!  

7 hours ago, JFR1 said:

Dang B-law.... you on vacation with a few cases of Stella? 

I screwed and glued my cab together before I remembered I had a biscuit joiner.  Oops.  So my gameplay/nudging has really changed.  No tossing things about.  My cab is creaky. 

Roths/Bords Star Trek '79 continues to fascinate.  Really hoping more tables get this treatment.

Thanks again for the B-law ball I continue to use.  

Cheers!  

I don't have this table loaded!  Gotta get it!  

Afterthought:  Why do I not have this table...where have a failed?  Geez, Louise!

• Content Provider

That’s a tough question. I like EBD and Fathom. I need to stop working on projects  and play more. But I’m not sure I can.

@Thalamuswhat a great system for playing someone on a regular basis. That sounds like fun. Another fun one is like  bowling. A three game series and the scores are totaled. You can play: highest one game score in three tries, best average score of three games and highest point value of all three games. 

@Onevox : Hmm. Thanks for the ideas, but, honestly. We are both North Norwegians, by the time we finish, we can hardly count, so anything math related isn't going to work ;)

In fact, had one evening a extra guy over, playing. 2 points for winner, 1 and 0. Kind of rotating the same way. We managed to keep that in check, barely, but, we where not always able to remember each others scores for EM's that had one scoring reel. The most inexperienced of us, kept picking the oldest machines I had in my collection BallyHoo, Cavalcade and other non flipper machines. Lot of fun.

We used to play weekly, but now we are lucky to even get together.  When we were playing weekly, we would hold the flipper button down, and someone would say stop (using pinball x) whatever table it landed on, that's the table we played.  Highest points get to pick the next table.  If we had more than four guys, the lowest score player sat out next round, and a new player would play.  I also have multiple binders with the wheel images from each table taped to the top, all in alphabetical order to keep highest scores.  So for example, if we are playing Cosmic Gunfight, before we start up, we pull out the binder with the C's, flipped to cosmic gunfight, and see if there is a high score.  If not, the highest score from that game goes in the book.  It usually goes like this:

Roc:      6/28/21   750,801

We have scores dating back to 2017, and some that have yet to be broken after all these years.  If you make the book, you don't get anything extra, just a little bit of bragging rights.  The book however; does lead to tables being replayed after the last ball, because the winner usually wants his name to remain as the high score.  My two longest records still being held to this day are for Hollywood Heat and Blackout.  The longest standing record is for WWF Royal Rumble, that was set way back in 2017 and try as we may, no one can catch it.

As for my go to tables, Hollywood heat and Banzi Run (vp9)  are my favorites to almost guarantee a win.  Everyone seems to have a table they favor in order to stay alive.  I absolutely suck at Diner and the high speed tables, and they seem to get picked time and time again.  I HATE when they are picked, because I know I'm not placing top two.  Last week I started playing Cosmic Gunfight and fell in love with it.  I have been playing that table quite a bit in order to move it into rotation.  

3 hours ago, Onevox said:

That’s a tough question. I like EBD and Fathom. I need to stop working on projects  and play more. But I’m not sure I can.

@Thalamuswhat a great system for playing someone on a regular basis. That sounds like fun. Another fun one is like  bowling. A three game series and the scores are totaled. You can play: highest one game score in three tries, best average score of three games and highest point value of all three games. 

It's like fishing...

*Buck for the biggest

*Buck for the most

*Bust for the first

Also learning in this thread....I need more local friends!

When I was a bit younger Champion pub would have best suited my personality. Getting drunk and getting in fights. That's not me anymore. I still like beer and I like the game but no more fighting.

I like a variety of games old and new. Balls a poppin gets me going for an oldie. Mostly newer games played on my machine.

My buddy and I play winner picks the game and we keep tallys on a whiteboard next to the machine. It's been going since 2019 and it's almost full. He hates it when I pick EM's.

ACDC is probably the most played table on my machine.

Gotta say I really have a thing for data east tables, laser war, hook, star wars, and of course, me and my wife's tipsy pinball tournament go to... Jurassic park. 

I'm probably a little biased because it's my favorite movie and what really got me in 3d as a profession, but I just love how that game plays. Super fast, lots of missions that can be stacked, killer multiballs, one of the gnarliest playfield toys, and great audio drops from the movie with the classic theme music. 

Going to have to get a real one, one day

Looking forward to your thoughts @mlager8after spending time with your EM.  I acquired my EM thinking it would be a donor cab for my vp build.  Spent 6 months bringing it back to life instead.  3 years have passed and that EM requires constant attention but when you turn it on it is unlike turning any other thing on.  The undersides of these can become a rabbit hole.  Have fun!!     might Jukebox be a future vp project??

27 minutes ago, naeromagus said:

I play Almost  nightly. And lose myself for 2-4 hours . Any of the older tables from the 70's thru thru late 90's , Too bad I didn't snag Bord/ Roths update on Star trek, or Roth's updated Flash Gordon .

Hm.  @bord?  Thoughts on hopefully sharing more of your tables here?  

9 hours ago, JFR1 said:

Looking forward to your thoughts @mlager8after spending time with your EM.  I acquired my EM thinking it would be a donor cab for my vp build.  Spent 6 months bringing it back to life instead.  3 years have passed and that EM requires constant attention but when you turn it on it is unlike turning any other thing on.  The undersides of these can become a rabbit hole.  Have fun!!     might Jukebox be a future vp project??

Plastics are being scanned and as soon as I clean the playfield I'm grabbing some nice high res pics to stitch!

It's definitely a project that's going to take some time but I'm enjoying it. There's 16 scoring reels each with a crappy broken edge connector with anywhere from 5 to 20 wires per connector, every single one will have to be soldered right to the board so already a bit more work than I anticipated. That being said I'm having a blast with it...

Sorry for hijacking the thread, resume

High-jacking the thread that Brandon started being blasted (wild guess) ... is ok in my eyes. Not the most serious thread around is it ? :)

Keep us updated with some pics please Matt. Would love to see the progress and maybe some of the frustration too ;)

10 hours ago, JFR1 said:

Hm.  @bord?  Thoughts on hopefully sharing more of your tables here?  

Happy to. Trying to touch each one up at least a little first. A few will just be retired. I'm taking a few weeks off but I'll start uploading again in August.

7 hours ago, Thalamus said:

High-jacking the thread that Brandon started being blasted (wild guess) ... is ok in my eyes. Not the most serious thread around is it ? :)

Keep us updated with some pics please Matt. Would love to see the progress and maybe some of the frustration too ;)

Yep.  Have at it.  All about a good time.

• Content Provider

Anyone who knows me well enough knows I love a wide spectrum of pinball. Realistic recreations, or off the wall craziness.

I think my two most recent WIP tables are good examples of "some" of the unique style tables I enjoy. (Silent Hill is a standalone table now and looks VERY different and so much better than in this video).

Just wait until VPE is a complete thing. I'll really annoy the shit out of the pinball purists :)

• Content Provider

Been thinking about this all week lol.  I enjoy smooth ramp shots that feed into a flow; I like crazy modes and flashing lights; I (have to) like adrenaline and dopamine hits... but I don't need those to have a good time.  I'd say tables from the late 80's and back fit me best - clean, consistent, sometimes even calming, but with a high skill ceiling and lots of little quirks to discover.