VPX 10.7 beta builds

Guest fuzzel

rev338 is up (Release Candidate):

- fix issue for negative start/end angle of flippers, as we cannot predict what the script will do with the flippers after player started

- cleanups

-  fix primitive collision regression

- improve cache usage/memlatency for physics engine

- reduce memory usgae in the physics engine

- fix tab order

• 4 weeks later...

rev349 is up (Release Candidate):

- expose Contrast & Desaturation for Anaglyph 3D modes and also offer flipped Anaglyph modes

- add various anaglyph (e.g. red/cyan) 3D stereo glasses modes to the video preferences

- Emit additional help-message/error, if running exclusive fullscreen via RDP

- Make GetMaterial's out params be of type VARIANT, so it can be used from VBScript without "Type mismatch" errors (thx CraftedCraft)

- use newest UPX artifact

rev359 is up (Release Cadidate):

- fix table default scatter value handling

- fix table info where table author was copied to the email edit box

- add an additional left<->right flipped stereo3D interlaced mode

- implement serial port communication via VBS (see CommandReference.txt)

- slightly optimize DMD copies

after a long time: here is a new beta build 277-30548e4:

- update VPX to integrate VPVR. VPVR is not fully supported but we're getting close ;)

- improved camera handling (in camera mode)

- add additive blending mode to primitives (like for flashers)

- light intensity can be checked while playing via script

- fix old wire ramp issue

- fix font size handling 

- code cleanup and memory leak fixes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Heres an odd one, any version of 10.7.2 for me launches, but sits as a background process, not on any of the screens.  If I launch via a table double click, does the same.  IF I launch it in compability mode (windows 8 ) Launches fine. Thoughts here?

Is there anything specific to know for installation as I don't see any installation documentation for these beta builds?

Edit: I did a folder backup and then just extracted the contents of the beta archive and overwrote the necessary files within the VisualPinball. Seems to have worked fine.

Edited by baconcow

No, the beta(s) are just zip archives where you are supposed to do just that. Should work, IF you once before has run the real installer. The regular installer sees to that some dependencies gets installed correctly, but, after that, just replacing VPinball.exe - smart to just rename the old, will give you an upgrade. Well, with a small exception. If other files get updated, but, during the 10.7 build cycle, there is a high chance that you don't need to overwrite ALL the files, just the *.exe, as long as you did take the leap, overwriting all content.

You kind of need to follow what happens in the commit logs if you are to be 100% sure .. sometime maybe bass.dll gets a update, and stuff like that. Easily solved though, by doing what you just did - overwrite them all. Always a good idea, if not sure how all this works, make a zip file backup of your vp install before overwriting. But, it is very seldom these upgrades leads to problems I should add.

On 9/18/2022 at 9:26 AM, Thalamus said:

@deaks : Sounds much like the problem I've seen myself, currently, the only solution is to use my build : https://www.dropbox.com/s/pazjr2ju83j9sc0/VPinballX.exe?dl=0

- Replace the exe for the one in the link.

You find more information about bug, both on vpf and github. In short, we don't know why this happens - but, it does for a few.

Thank you Thalamus for posting your build here! It solved my problem as well. I had the same issues as deaks.

When starting some tables like Batman 66 from Popper I had a looping loading video and the table won’t start. 

I tried some things before I found your build here. For example, I deleted the visual pinball entries in the registry. With default settings it worked for me. I found that in my case it was the adaptive vsync setting in the registry under the „player“ tab. Default is 0 and my was 1. setting it to 0 made it work. But it introduced ball stutter on my 120Hz setup. With your build and setting it back to 1 worked like a charm on my setup. 
so, thanks for sharing your build!

Thanks for a great feedback on that adaptive sync setting. Happy to hear that you resolved it !

I've had issues with vpx haning since build 167, trying different adaptive vsync setting on my end didn't resolve it for me. But, well, I can always just compile it on my own and share it from time to time. You are on a i7 CPU, with nVidia and Win10 ?

20 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

Thanks for a great feedback on that adaptive sync setting. Happy to hear that you resolved it !

I don’t know the difference between your build and the official build, but yours seems to work well. So I don’t really have resolved my issue, but maybe I can help a little to narrow down the real problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. I should have updated this post. Since 12. October, I haven't created new builds. It is recommended that you follow the releases from github again. Devs have change the way the exe is compiled, through github actions, so, in theory it should now be the same as mine. (older compiler with older toolchain).