SAMBuild3.4 beta thread

CarnyPriest

I can attest that this is causing issues under Windows 7 but not my Windows 10.  When you try to press Test, about 4 seconds later the VPinMame window just closes and it's gone.  It must be trying as it waits 4 seconds to happen.  On my Windows 10 laptop as soon as you click Test, the list of games comes up straight away.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I am having this issue. Using VpinMame-sc-3.4 and SAMBuild r5270. I get the crash on the TEST button. 

Process I have been doing:

Install VPINMame normally. 3.4 shows on menu.

Click TEST, see all the HC colored roms in the system.

Uninstall VPinMame

Copy SAMBuild files from r5270 folder into VPinMame folder

Install VPM again

Click TEST

crash.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any insight.

48 minutes ago, MydknyteStyrm said:

I am having this issue. Using VpinMame-sc-3.4 and SAMBuild r5270. I get the crash on the TEST button. 

Process I have been doing:

Install VPINMame normally. 3.4 shows on menu.

Click TEST, see all the HC colored roms in the system.

Uninstall VPinMame

Copy SAMBuild files from r5270 folder into VPinMame folder

Install VPM again

Click TEST

crash.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any insight.

Try this one - https://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/7061-cheech-chong-road-trippin-bally-2021/?tab=comments#comment-4364

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, outhere said:

Sort of works. I get color roms from Williams and Bally, but if I try Star Trek LE or Sopranos, I get a crash from the test menu. No load up, VPM just disappears.

36 minutes ago, MydknyteStyrm said:

Sort of works. I get color roms from Williams and Bally, but if I try Star Trek LE or Sopranos, I get a crash from the test menu. No load up, VPM just disappears.

Did you try it with the game?

Hmm. I was told that some revisions back, the correct procedure is to run setup.exe, where you replace setup.exe and vpinmame.dll like before, but, you should run uninstall, before pressing install. You will get a question. Do you want to clean out registry. Say NO. Or you loose many settings you might want to keep. Then with the special build without upx ... (I needed that one, or setup.exe would crash using the test button, but, no problems except that) it was working as it used to. Personally. I don't see the point of fiddling with saving maybe 8-9 mb of harddrive space, for something that obviously is introducing instability.

• 3 months later...

I have a problem with vpinmamealias.

for example with acdc I use different puppacks with the different tables. In vpinmamealias I linked the acdcluci table with acd_168hc. But the dmd does not us the colors. DOF is also not working.

If I change the table script to use acd_168hc directly everything works fine.

Any help

The vpinmamealias feature isn't 100% implemented, it is created mostly to make it easier to run pup packs. You will have a hard time getting dof to work with it, because your imaginative acdcluci might be another guys acdclucy alias. DOF has to match the rom from it's configuration via the configtool. You might be able to fix it on your end though. Get new and updated dof config. Then make a copy of the line for acdc_168hc to your alias. Create a few alternatives '.vbs files that you rename before the table is run. Things like that.

Not that I can think of. You have of course created altcolor/acdlucy or something and tried I guess ? I haven't and I won't even go there. As I said, it is not 100% implemented that feature. Are you seeing that your high scores for those "mods" and saved pr. example ? And, well, the reason for having a regular, and a lucy and .... would be to get it as close as possible to the real deal. If that is the case, your trying to get it authentic. Did ACDC come with colored DMD ? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Hi, the official VPinMAME release can be found here:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=27063&page=1

I think that it supports the patched S.A.M. sets. The PC in my cabinet took a huge dump, and I haven't had the heart or the time to look further into it this year. The VPinMAME "Test" function crashes the program. This doesn't appear to be a widely reported issue. Maybe it happens because my old laptop is still running Win 7. The patched sets are listed in the game info list within the package's PinMAME.exe, so hopefully this has all that you need.

The alternative is the new public release at the official PinMAME project site at GitHub:

https://github.com/vpinball/pinmame/releases/tag/v3.4-336-cb9701e

As I understand it, you would want to download the -sc variant, x86 version. VPinMAME is identical to toxie's DLL release at VPForums. However, the -sc variant for the PinMAME executable does not have the patched sets list in the game info list. Make of that what you will, but if you just need the DLL then I think it will be fine to grab it at VPForums.

There is no longer a need to compile a separate SAMBuild for the last several months. The fact is that there has been no difference in the underlying source code between the SAMBuild and the official source for a couple of years or so. User jsm174 developed a system for producing and publishing automated builds with each commit to the official source at Github, so players can always obtain the most current updates. You will need to register an account with Github to access the nightly builds, but it is free and quick to do. Years ago, my first builds initially used jsm174's clone project at SourceForge. He's been around a long time. I trust him, and I think you can too.  

In any case, I uninstalled Visual Studio because I badly needed the drive space. I can't compile any builds at the moment. With all that, I officially retire the SAMBuild. It's been great providing this service to the community. I'm not entirely out of here. I'm happy to continue wrangling the ROM collection here at VPUniverse if necessary. I do intend on getting back into the hobby at some point. I've been dealing with health issues with myself and my family. Not all bad! I've lost nearly 100 pounds in the good way, from better diet and consistent exercise. I feel fine. But I do have a bit less time for pinball. Just have to see what happens when I do finally get into the cabinet and try to diagnosis my issues. Could just need a CMOS reset. Or I may need to save up for a new CPU and new motherboard which means new memory, storage, blah, blah, blah. 

Have a merry Christmas, y'all and a happy new year!

@CarnyPriest The crashes you are mentioning is something that I've mentioned in the official thread. To the very best of my knowledge. The upx compression stuff isn't working very well with Win7 so I recommend that you get the jsm release in the thread and you only replace the needed pinmame.dll after that.

... do a unistall - say no to clear registry, then install. If you don't - you loose a lot of high-scores, possible custom settings... etc.

I don't really get why upx NEED to be there. You save like ... 9 mb ? - It would make sense in 1990 .... maybe.

-sc version - yes, that is what you've been providing us for years ( thanks a bunch mate ) - sc over regular is now only the color stuff for the dmd. The games should be there I'm sure.

I believe that VPU is only behind of a few "slochar" roms - else in the green ?

Merry x-mas to you mate and thanks a bunch for the update and feedback.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, Thalamus said:

@CarnyPriest The crashes you are mentioning is something that I've mentioned in the official thread. To the very best of my knowledge. The upx compression stuff isn't working very well with Win7 so I recommend that you get the jsm release in the thread and you only replace the needed pinmame.dll after that.

... do a unistall - say no to clear registry, then install. If you don't - you loose a lot of high-scores, possible custom settings... etc.

I don't really get why upx NEED to be there. You save like ... 9 mb ? - It would make sense in 1990 .... maybe.

-sc version - yes, that is what you've been providing us for years ( thanks a bunch mate ) - sc over regular is now only the color stuff for the dmd. The games should be there I'm sure.

I believe that VPU is only behind of a few "slochar" roms - else in the green ?

Merry x-mas to you mate and thanks a bunch for the update and feedback.

That link in the official thread leads to artifacts in Github that are long expired. Did you happen to keep that build, 281?

https://github.com/jsm174/pinmame/actions/runs/1048715684

Yes, we are a bit behind on the ROM collection. You might be able to find the slochar/Idleman patches at Pinside. But there have been a couple of other clones added in the past few weeks. I'll keep on the lookout and post them when I get them.

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

Hi, the official VPinMAME release can be found here:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=27063&page=1

I think that it supports the patched S.A.M. sets. The PC in my cabinet took a huge dump, and I haven't had the heart or the time to look further into it this year. The VPinMAME "Test" function crashes the program. This doesn't appear to be a widely reported issue. Maybe it happens because my old laptop is still running Win 7. The patched sets are listed in the game info list within the package's PinMAME.exe, so hopefully this has all that you need.

The alternative is the new public release at the official PinMAME project site at GitHub:

https://github.com/vpinball/pinmame/releases/tag/v3.4-336-cb9701e

As I understand it, you would want to download the -sc variant, x86 version. VPinMAME is identical to toxie's DLL release at VPForums. However, the -sc variant for the PinMAME executable does not have the patched sets list in the game info list. Make of that what you will, but if you just need the DLL then I think it will be fine to grab it at VPForums.

There is no longer a need to compile a separate SAMBuild for the last several months. The fact is that there has been no difference in the underlying source code between the SAMBuild and the official source for a couple of years or so. User jsm174 developed a system for producing and publishing automated builds with each commit to the official source at Github, so players can always obtain the most current updates. You will need to register an account with Github to access the nightly builds, but it is free and quick to do. Years ago, my first builds initially used jsm174's clone project at SourceForge. He's been around a long time. I trust him, and I think you can too.  

In any case, I uninstalled Visual Studio because I badly needed the drive space. I can't compile any builds at the moment. With all that, I officially retire the SAMBuild. It's been great providing this service to the community. I'm not entirely out of here. I'm happy to continue wrangling the ROM collection here at VPUniverse if necessary. I do intend on getting back into the hobby at some point. I've been dealing with health issues with myself and my family. Not all bad! I've lost nearly 100 pounds in the good way, from better diet and consistent exercise. I feel fine. But I do have a bit less time for pinball. Just have to see what happens when I do finally get into the cabinet and try to diagnosis my issues. Could just need a CMOS reset. Or I may need to save up for a new CPU and new motherboard which means new memory, storage, blah, blah, blah. 

Have a merry Christmas, y'all and a happy new year!

Thank you @CarnyPriest.  Merry Christmas!!

• Content Provider

Thanks, @outhere 

At least that confirms for me that it is an issue with the packer. Copying over 281 with final v3.4 and the Test button still crashes the program. No quick way for me to confirm that v3.4 supports the patched S.A.M. sets but I haven't seen any reports about it so I'll assume that it does. No reason to press the issue further, I think. People need to update to Win 10. It's been nearly two years ffs. Do as I say and not as I do! heh

Merry Christmas! 

24 minutes ago, CarnyPriest said:

Thanks, @outhere 

At least that confirms for me that it is an issue with the packer. Copying over 281 with final v3.4 and the Test button still crashes the program. No quick way for me to confirm that v3.4 supports the patched S.A.M. sets but I haven't seen any reports about it so I'll assume that it does. No reason to press the issue further, I think. People need to update to Win 10. It's been nearly two years ffs. Do as I say and not as I do! heh

Merry Christmas! 

The 281 does not crash for me but other ones did when hitting the test button

I have no issues running Win7 in my cab for the 10 next years as long as there isn't anything VP related that will require me to update. It is a dedicated machine. It would be different if I used it as my daily on the internet browsing. But, well, I would not use Windows for that in the first place ;)

5 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

Thanks, @outhere 

Merry Christmas! 

Why not update to Win11 immediately? My cab is running fine with it. Merry X-mas!