Pinball Browser Out of Memory

I tried colorizing ST161 (pro) using the macros (thanks Sharkky) and PB uses up the memory about 30% of the way. I've tried on the OST version, the PinMAME version and the Stern raw version. All have the same results. 

The goal is to test in a realpin.

QUESTIONS:

1) I'm not sure why, but I am believing that the only way for PIn2DMD to work in a SAM is to use side-channel and an RS232 connection, starting with the raw ROM and applying the COMM patch. After patching and extending memory, the colorization can take place.  Is this correct?

1A) Can I use in-frame colorization on SAM if the memory is available?

2) I started by taking the 162 ROM and the OST and colorizing myself and am about 50% finished. Will I be able to use this colorization even though I used it on a raw ROM and have not applied the COMM patch?

3) or If the COMM patch MUST be applied before any modification to the ROM takes place, is all my work is for nothing? I have not saved my macros on my own colorization. 

I have also tried downloading the 161 macros and modifying the memory addresses to colorize the proper frames in 162. The PB environment again runs out of memory.

4) Why do colorization modifications require additional ROM memory? If I am (although I am not saying that I am doing that) changing the actual bitmaps, and those new bitmaps take the same amount of memory, then the only thing that should be taking memory is the palate info. Why am I running out of memory?

Help me Lucky1 Kanobi. You're my only hope.

• Content Provider

5 hours ago, pavelone said:

I tried colorizing ST161 (pro) using the macros (thanks Sharkky) and PB uses up the memory about 30% of the way. I've tried on the OST version, the PinMAME version and the Stern raw version. All have the same results. 

The goal is to test in a realpin.

Just confirm the memory error and continue. Worked for my STPRO.

1) I'm not sure why, but I am believing that the only way for PIn2DMD to work in a SAM is to use side-channel and an RS232 connection, starting with the raw ROM and applying the COMM patch. After patching and extending memory, the colorization can take place.  Is this correct?

Yes

1A) Can I use in-frame colorization on SAM if the memory is available?

Yes you can, but sometimes the area used by inframe is overwritten and therefore no palette switch takes place

2) I started by taking the 162 ROM and the OST and colorizing myself and am about 50% finished. Will I be able to use this colorization even though I used it on a raw ROM and have not applied the COMM patch?

You can apply your macro after applying the COMM patch.

3) or If the COMM patch MUST be applied before any modification to the ROM takes place, is all my work is for nothing? I have not saved my macros on my own colorization. 

Not a good idea to NOT save your macros but you can export the frames from your work and import it to a raw ROM after applying the COMM patch

4) Why do colorization modifications require additional ROM memory? If I am (although I am not saying that I am doing that) changing the actual bitmaps, and those new bitmaps take the same amount of memory, then the only thing that should be taking memory is the palate info. Why am I running out of memory?

Because the frames are stored in compressed format and after decompressing / modifying and compressing them again they have a different size and do not fit into the original storage area.

If I would start a SAM colorization now I would use the pin2dmd editor for all replacement scenes and pinball browser with side channel for all dynamic scenes. That way you should have enough memory.

Archived