White Water by Endprodukt

2 minutes ago, Endprodukt said:

Thank you

Not for me. For the VP people.

Can anyone confirm now it's working with this dll?

I think people have already confirmed it is working with Lucky's dll, albeit maybe not the latest release.  Lucky1 will figure it out and post his findings.

Just now, Rockdude233 said:

I think people have already confirmed it is working with Lucky's dll, albeit maybe not the latest release.  Lucky1 will figure it out and post his findings.

People said it's crashing. That's why I'm asking.

• Content Provider
17 hours ago, Rockdude233 said:

Yes, it's apparently crashing with the latest dll.  Stand by for Lucky1 to respond!

image.thumb.png.e68f497ab14eef117e3dda37ac92cca6.png

Should be fixed in latest version I just uploaded to the repo. Please test

30 minutes ago, naeromagus said:

@Endprodukt Very nice work so far. now that i have it working, Really like your color choices fit the WW theme well .  I cant wait for next release.  :)

@outhere, @lucky1 Can you test Family Guy Color patch fg_1200af this game now crashes pinmame. if i uncheck colorize dmd it works .i tested some other color games no issues just this one 

@Endprodukt  The Family Guy Color patch fg_1200af  worked fine

I had some time to do more more testing
I thought It looked good when I 1st tried it with Freezy Dll but this Color rom looks fantastic with @lucky1 dll
For @lucky1 dll See 12 post up and will only work with a Pin2DMD

It will be nice once Freezy gets his corrected

Nice Job @Endprodukt

4 hours ago, Rockdude233 said:

Have you come up with anything interesting to show us yet?

Nope. I really don't know what I could show and I'm getting more and more to the point of not advising to use layered color mask. I like that it will keep your project very clean and for video modes it's absolutely necessary. Besides that it gave me more trouble in the end.

2 hours ago, Endprodukt said:

Nope. I really don't know what I could show and I'm getting more and more to the point of not advising to use layered color mask. I like that it will keep your project very clean and for video modes it's absolutely necessary. Besides that it gave me more trouble in the end.

I don't get it.  You did a project using mostly layered colormasks and you can't find even 1 to show?  The technique itself didn't give you any trouble - you said yourself you sincerely couldn't see how anyone could do a project without it.  Just because a little code needs updating in the infrastructure to make this mode play (which is being done as we speak btw), doesn't mean throw your arms up and just quit.  If this method truly does effectively free up resources and "make it work faster" as you said, then this is a very desirable technique to use.  I've had projects that just locked up and went "blank screen" of apparent overburden of resources - your layered colormask technique could fix them.  You might be onto a revolutionary efficient method of colorizing a game, so make it a teaching moment!

As I already said: I was wrong to some degree. There is advantages but mostly disadvantages to LCM. You might end up setting just as many keyframes as with singleframes depending on the scene. 

Pictures show the same scene but with two different Masks (0 and 1) used for different states of the scene. The whole scene contains 23 frames triggered by one keyframe. The scene is highly dynamic as

the boulder value changes and the amount of shots for boulder bash. Could I have done it with even just one mask inside the LCM? No, because there is frames with no fonts at all, just animation, then first the boulder value which is increased by hits on the bumpers and then the amount of remaining shots for boulder bash, which actually will show up once the bumpers haven't been activated for a specific amount of time. 

So: 

1 keyframe to trigger the LCM

lcm contains 28 frames
triggering the 28 frames uses only 2 masks out of ten available for LCM scenes. 

SO why do I say that LCM's are not advisable? 

For one, they need a keyframe to be triggered, that's not a problem but if you need to trigger a specific frame, you will have to set another keyframe for that aswell. 
In the case of man over board, that's a huge problem. The scene contains 94 frames. Now if the scene is interrupted by another, the next frame from the man over board scene will most likeley not be the starting keyframe for the LCM, resulting in a non colored scene. 

Checking that via live preview only ever works by first triggering the starting keyframe for the LCM. Without going to that one first, you'll end up with no colors. 

Also, the delay for LCM scenes is not adjustable. Although LCM is supposed to basically "overwrite" transitionframes (usually 24ms), it doesn't seem to work for me very well. Using single frames and setting the delay to 1500 has been solving many issues for me, although of course not all of them. 

If there is any other questions

LCM1.png

LCM2.png

Ok, I just want to make sure we weren't missing the boat on something valuable here, and going from indispensable to not advisable was a huge swing and just a bit confusing to me.  You have a right to change your mind though, @Endprodukt.  So, I'm going back to my original thinking that LCMs should probably only be used for video modes, where frame sequence is completely unpredictable due to user input.  I am still curious as to the effective efficiency of using LCMs vs. just CMs with respect to resource utilization.  Maybe @lucky1 can chime in if he has any thoughts on it.

1 hour ago, Rockdude233 said:

Ok, I just want to make sure we weren't missing the boat on something valuable here, and going from indispensable to not advisable was a huge swing and just a bit confusing to me.  You have a right to change your mind though, @Endprodukt.  So, I'm going back to my original thinking that LCMs should probably only be used for video modes, where frame sequence is completely unpredictable due to user input.  I am still curious as to the effective efficiency of using LCMs vs. just CMs with respect to resource utilization.  Maybe @lucky1 can chime in if he has any thoughts on it.

Instead of overthinking, why not try it instead for yourself? It's a tool That solves some problems but also introduces others. It's not like you can't use lcm's for everyday purposes and they will make the project so much cleaner. Just need to be aware of it's limitations depending on the scene.

I'm also still learning... So take my word with a grain of salt

1 minute ago, Endprodukt said:

Instead of overthinking, why not try it instead for yourself? It's a tool That solves some problems but also introduces others. It's not like you can't use lcm's for everyday purposes and they will make the project so much cleaner. Just need to be aware of it's limitations depending on the scene.

I'm not overthinking anything.  I played with LCM for video modes, and it is useful for that ONLY in my opinion.  Since you are the 1st person on record that ever published a colorization using them, and moreover touted (originally) they were incredibly useful for most scenes in a project, that needed to be answered.   You walked it back and that's Ok.  Don't be so easily offended.  Mistakes are just learning experiences.

• Content Provider

Another advantage of using LCM for normal dynamic scenes is that you can save some resources. You only need to keyframe the start of the scene, which also might save some global masks.

Since the LCM is a relatively new addition to the Editor, it will naturally take some time before people get comfortable with it, especially since there is already an established (and entrenched) method of handling most dynamic scenes that is supported by many examples in tutorials and  publicly available project files.   It's human nature to be resistant to change, unless it's advantages become crystal clear and too great to ignore.  I don't think we're there yet with this.  Or I could just be overthinking the whole thing ?

But every time somebody uses this technique, it does move the needle a little bit.   So, @Endprodukt, good job on the colorization and for thinking outside of the box. 

And @lucky1  as always, thanks for your design, code, and on-going support efforts.