White Water by Endprodukt

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, Endprodukt said:

V1.0 for VP has been released in the download section!

Note !!! This colorization uses ColorMask Layered mode which is only supported by my dmddevice.dll and not by current freezy versions !

23 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Note !!! This colorization uses ColorMask Layered mode which is only supported by my dmddevice.dll and not by current freezy versions !

I have no idea what that means and someone in the download already has problems, but I didn't even test with virtual pinball because I only use the real machine. 

I will put your note into the download information!

• Content Provider
16 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

Damn, that was kind of a let down being that it looks very good. Anyway. Thank you for the time spent @Endprodukt

@lucky1 - does Freezy know about this mode at all ? Do you know ? I could do a feature request.

Freezy knows about the changes for more than a year now but I just sent him the latest version of my code again.

Okay so this doesn't work with virtual pinball or what? I have no idea how that works so someone with more knowlede about that has to chime in.

I'm very sorry to all but I really couldn't care less about virtual pinball. I made this for real pinball machines - if it works on VP thats nice for those who care. So if anyone tells me what I can do to make that work I'll gladly help.

I can not be the first one to make advantage of layered color masks?

Code is code. If I read it correctly, pin2dmd owners won't have any issues with your release, for the rest, maybe we'll get it sometime down the line. Whatever happens. I think it is cool to see DMD's for pin getting a second life and who the hell knows. Maybe next time I'm in Oslo or where ever. I get to see and play with what you've created. Not that long time ago, on of the regular vp forum uses reported exactly that so :)

Es muy bueno lo que hiciste, ya se irá a poder usar en los pinballs virtuales. Todos los trabajos deben ser aplaudidos muchachos, por el esfuerzo y las horas gastadas en mejorar a la comunidad de fanáticos del pinball (virtuales o físicos, no depende de cómo lo tengan!!!)

1 hour ago, Endprodukt said:

So if anyone tells me what I can do to make that work I'll gladly help.

How many layered color masks are we talking about?  Couldn't you just make a copy of the project file in another folder, delete the layered colored mask(s) from that project file and export a .vni and .pal file for visual pin use only?  Seems like it would take about 5 minutes.  I assume a vast majority of the colored content isn't layered color masks.

47 minutes ago, Rockdude233 said:

How many layered color masks are we talking about?  Couldn't you just make a copy of the project file in another folder, delete the layered colored mask(s) from that project file and export a .vni and .pal file for visual pin use only?  Seems like it would take about 5 minutes.  I assume a vast majority of the colored content isn't layered color masks.

Ha!  Sounds like we have a volunteer.  :)

2 hours ago, Rockdude233 said:

We are talking about hundreds of frames.  The layered color masks are not only interesting for video modes. They are interesting for vastly dynamic scenes that occur in many different states of the game. It prevents the project from becoming completely unsorted.  They allow you to save on masks vastly, making detection faster.  Maybe my coloring method is just the work of an amateur.

So, I think some people get me wrong: 

If I say I don't care about VP that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it. It's just that the only way for me to make/test this was on a real machine because that was my goal.  I thought this would work out of the box because I didn't know there is compatibility problems atm with layered masks.  Converting this would be a crazy amount of work. 
Also to make video modes work in the future, this would have to be implemented in the DLL you guys are talking about. I'm honestly super sorry this doesn't seem to work straight out of the box for virtual pinball. 

I sincerely hope that Lucky1 can work something out for you guys. Seriously.

1 hour ago, Endprodukt said:

We are talking about hundreds of frames.

OK.  I didn't realize layered colormasks were that useful for anything other than video modes, but maybe you've discovered something.  Still, until freezy gets his dll updated (which may take a while or never), it wouldn't take very much effort to export the .vni and .pal files (less the layered color masks) to show off the rest of your work.

3 hours ago, bushav said:

Ha!  Sounds like we have a volunteer. 

Yes, I've got five minutes to spare if he wants to post the source files! ?

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, Endprodukt said:

I sincerely hope that Lucky1 can work something out for you guys. Seriously.

Thats the job of Freezy. Mine is done. He already contacted me yesterday and he seems to be working on it.

2 hours ago, naeromagus said:

Strange it crashes pinmame on me. pin2dmd luckys dll

maybe i can try updating the FW I'm on 3.08

Do you use the latest version of the DLL ?

9 hours ago, Rockdude233 said:

OK.  I didn't realize layered colormasks were that useful for anything other than video modes, but maybe you've discovered something.  Still, until freezy gets his dll updated (which may take a while or never), it wouldn't take very much effort to export the .vni and .pal files (less the layered color masks) to show off the rest of your work.

Yes, I've got five minutes to spare if he wants to post the source files! ?

There is not much left without the layered masks. 

I sincerely don't see how others worked without it. My project would explode with unnecessary amounts of masks, scenes and keyframes.

2 hours ago, Endprodukt said:

There is not much left without the layered masks. 

Would you mind showing a couple of examples of how you used layered masks?  I'm not trying to be a smart@$$, but if you did this project using mostly layered colormasks, then there may be some valuable techniques that can be learned from your experience.

1 hour ago, Rockdude233 said:

Would you mind showing a couple of examples of how you used layered masks?  I'm not trying to be a smart@$$, but if you did this project using mostly layered colormasks, then there may be some valuable techniques that can be learned from your experience.

I use it as a different approach to coloring dynamic scenes with animation. 

Instead of having a color mask scene for each frame and using a keyframe for each scene, I can use the color mask layered and put all the frames in one scene and use 10 different masks for each layered mask, while the layered scene is just triggered by one keyframe. 

Lucky 1 said: the less masks you use for keyframes, the faster it can work. This is a way of achiving that. Also it wasn't my idea. Lucky 1 came up with this.

15 minutes ago, Endprodukt said:

Instead of having a color mask scene for each frame and using a keyframe for each scene, I can use the color mask layered and put all the frames in one scene and use 10 different masks for each layered mask, while the layered scene is just triggered by one keyframe. 

I understand what you're saying, but one real example would really help (a picture is worth a thousand words kind of thing)?

12 hours ago, naeromagus said:

Strange it crashes pinmame on me. pin2dmd luckys dll

maybe i can try updating the FW I'm on 3.08

My pin2DMD is on version 3.05
I used @Lucky1 Dll from version 3.11 And I had no problem running the white water color DMD

See update Below

10 minutes ago, outhere said:

My pin2DMD is on version 3.05
I used @Lucky1 Dll from version 3.11 And I had no problem running the white water color DMD
I was doing so much experimenting yesterday I got mixed up
My mistake if I use @Lucky1 Dll from version 3.11 it crashes like you