Apron face for 7 inch screens

Ciceronic

These are STL files for 3D-printing this apron face. Height is enough to put RGB LED-strips at kickback, plunger and middle areas.
Designed for these kind of 7"-screens: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32702387923.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.e3f44c4dlqptAw

Apron_install.thumb.jpg.77b5c9a76d30c54e3d9afd35a3be34a7.jpg
This has no bottom, but any regular piece of wood, metal or other stable material should probably work.

Apron_test_20200126.JPG

Apron_screen_model.png

Apron_face_V3_Info.thumb.png.2d749770cf77f03dddeb88d588fbd1da.png

Apron STL overview.png

ApronV3_1.stl ApronV3_2_Standard.stl ApronV3_2_Widebody.stl ApronV3_2_Widebody_split1.stl ApronV3_2_Widebody_split2.stl ApronV3_3.stl ApronV3_4.stl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Vanlon:

It's something in between...

I only have 3 outputs at the same time of my graphics card, so I bought this one:
https://www.deltaco.eu/en/products/deltaco/cables-adapters/displayport/adapters/DP-HDMI42

This unit (known as MST-hub) split a Displayport output into two HDMI-output.
The screens run at 800x480 dpi, and only display still images. So I guessed it would not be to demanding, and it turned out well.

In Windows setup, those are two separate screens.

Other solution:
There are units that split hdmi-signal to several screens, like in shopping malls "video walls", but those I found were really too expensive.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/11/2020 at 3:39 PM, Austinwilli said:

Thanks so much for sharing the STL files!   Do you have a pic of the back?  or advice on mounting attaching screens and boards?  

Hi, sorry for late reply. Please see latest update, "version 3"

• 3 months later...

@Badazzwi 

My arrows are just a "cutout", or "see-trough". My original idea was to align the arrows to see my real plunger right below. But after I built that, I didn't like it.
The reason I didn't like it was because it's dark inside the cabinet, and when I put some light there all cables and other stuff became visible.
So instead I put a white bottom (just a piece of plastic with white paint) under the arrows. The light in the arrows are just the standard DOF WS2812 Leds controlled by a Teensy.
It has no connection to how much I pull the plunger, it's just a cool light effect.

If I remove my white bottom plastic I could see the real plunger, so YES to your qustion.

@Ciceronic Thank you for the reply.

I have my monitors ordered and I look forward to setting this up and using the cards you uploaded at vpinball.

I did find this which would work nice if you were able to use the same potentiometer that is already attached to the plunger. Unsure.

https://mschoeffler.com/2020/11/14/arduino-tutorial-slide-potentiometer-slide-pot-controls-led-strip-ws2812b/

@Badazzwi
That's really cool!
I think it would work with a two channel slide potentiometer, like a regular stereo potentiometer has.
One channel for this, and the other channel for plunger.  On the video there's only one channel used.

I've once tested connecting an arduino input pin directly to an output pin of KL25Z, and there was no conflicts or other problem.
Both connected to the same ground/earth, and KL25Z triggering the arduino by a 3,3V signal.
Your setup would be somehow similar with these two connected to the same potentiometer, and by that same ground/earth.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Ciceronic changed the title to Apron face for 7 inch screens
  • 3 weeks later...

Laticsoz:

16 hours ago, Laticsoz said:

Sorry I seem to be missing an stl file in v3 I get all 4 stl but it seems 2 are the same each having the arrows for the plunger

I've uploaded a overview picture of all the STL's.
I hope that will help you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 8:07 AM, Laticsoz said:

Cheers mate yeah saw that. Just got my screens,  no power supply and instructions to say what kind of power they take grrrrr

According to the aliexpress picture I attached it says "5-12  Volt, 1 Ampere"
I've also updated my images with more info how to place and connect Screen + PCB.

• 2 months later...

Hi im just wondering how did you set this up for the screens to work? i have on i am testing at the moment, and in the config it shows the help screen should be shown on this lcd. But in game it wont show anything. Any help would be appreciated

1 hour ago, Kryne said:

Hi im just wondering how did you set this up for the screens to work? i have on i am testing at the moment, and in the config it shows the help screen should be shown on this lcd. But in game it wont show anything. Any help would be appreciated

Hi, I'm not sure from your description but...
1. Make the screens work. Use "Display Settings" in Windows to be sure your computer sends picture to them. Use "identify" and they should show a number.
2. If you start table directly in Visual Pinball X, the apron screens won't work. They only work when you use a frontend. Like "PinUp Popper" or "PinballY".
The frontends are different, but basically you must "assign" each screen to a display window, like DMD, instructions, topper, or other.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
19 hours ago, IOIIOOO said:

I know this isn't a new topic, but do your plunger lights trigger when the ball is ready or are they on all of the time?

Well, the "plunger lights" seen is actually just WS2812 LEDs for playfield. The arrows are "cut-outs" in the 3D-printed part, with a bottom of white paint to make the LED light better.
If you install those LEDs in a "standard way" around the playfield, you'll have the same effect. Almost every table has a own "light show" in right corner for ball ready.
Answer is: Yes, lights are triggered and not on all the time.

This is a good reference for those lights:
http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/BuildGuideV2/BuildGuide.php?custom=EU&expver=R3.201602xx&sid=addressableLightStrips