Top 100 Tables Need Fs Versions

bent98

• Content Provider

Aurich,

I've edited scripts on tables but when it comes to the resources and elements I'm pretty much a noob.  Any change you could post some instructions on how the replace the images with high quality versions so noobs like me can update our own tables. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I have zero table building experience, I just happen to live in Photoshop. :) So take anything I say about VP with a grain of salt, there may be superior methods.

The trick with updating table graphics simply is that you don't want to replace anything that's interactive, like a light, unless you're willing to to redo all of the graphics for the 'on' versions too. Which is a bit outside the scope of quick and dirty fixes. To take this TZ playfield for instance. I just went into the table's graphic manager and exported out the playfield a jpg and opened in it photoshop. Sometimes all it takes is adjusting some of the levels, saturation, things like that. Some people don't take the time to fix up a playfield scan before they build, and if the quality is crap (like anything from Stern) some minor editing of the image itself can help. TZ wasn't one of those cases, for whatever reason a lot of the shading was washed out to the point where it couldn't be saved. So the skin tone on the people's faces was white instead of peach, the shading on the rocket was flat, etc.

Here's where it gets tricky. I wanted to keep the original playfield aspect ratio and layout, didn't want anything I did to break things. So I had to find the highest quality TZ PF scan I could, and then manipulate it in Photoshop to overlay the existing PF as close as I could. I was able to get it close, within a couple pixels in most spots, which is good enough, a soft mask will hide any transitions. Then what I did is masked it all off, and then began to selectively bring it back in over the PF art, being careful to keep areas that light up masked off so that the lights wouldn't look 'jumpy' when they switched on. So for instance I painted in the new Robbie the Robot, but in testing noticed I'd gotten just a bit too close to the Clock Millions and Power Ball lights, you could see a small jump around their edges, so I made sure to go back fully mask around them.

Also remember that the playfield objects and toys are going to cover a lot, so there are some spots that I knew would be totally hidden where I didn't bother to keep the masking super clean. It takes a little back and forth, you're trying to touch up problem spots, not just replace every pixel, so you get a sense after a while where to back off and where to really paint in as much new art as you can.

Once you're happy with it and want to test it you just export your updated PF back out as a high quality jpeg (don't try and save a few measly k with low quality compression!) and then fire VP's image manager back up. You can then import your fix over the existing PG graphic and play the table to see how it works.

None of this changes the actual resolution of the PF. I haven't messed with trying to go there yet, it's probably not quite as drop and replace. You can do that with playfield toys though, I've done that with the aliens from AFM and the genie in TOTAN. Simply imported higher resolution versions over the old ones, they stay scaled properly in VP. In both cases I've passed my new versions to JP, he's used the aliens in his last build, and might update the genie if he tweaks TOTAN.

• Content Provider
Actually I have zero table building experience, I just happen to live in Photoshop. :)

Well I also have zero table building experience but plenty of scripting experience.  My graphics capabilities are very limited.  So my question for you, Is the above image the finished product because the instructions for tweaking the image are beyond me?

Well I also have zero table building experience but plenty of scripting experience.  My graphics capabilities are very limited.  So my question for you, Is the above image the finished product because the instructions for tweaking the image are beyond me?

Haha yeah, just replace the PF image in the daytime TZ with that one and you're good, I was just trying to explain the rough process for someone who wanted to do it themselves. Better yet, copy the table, replace the PF, and see if you like it better so you can compare. You never know if someone's mod is going to be your thing.

I think the rule of thumb is if my explanation didn't really make sense you're probably not going to fire up Photoshop and do that stuff. :) It's not particularly hard, but it does take some experience with the tools. Here's a quick look at the before and after so you can see what I'm talking about. Notice how the graphics shift slightly, I wasn't able to get the overlays to be pixel perfect, but the light up inserts don't change at all:

tz-compare.gif

Edit: that's a gif, so it's going to dither since the palette is limited, so that's why the gradients don't look smooth. Use the jpeg above for a better reference, this is just to try and show the before/after in a rough fashion. And I can see a couple areas I probably need to adjust still after watching this loop. ;)

I posted this manual elsewhere here

but it also states how to export and import a table image

http://www.armuco.ch/bubble/VisualGuidehtml/tableoptions.htm

as for building pins anyone can do it all it takes is

time and a streak of masochism

and as for pic editing I use Gimp since it's freeware and FAR EASIER

to use than Photoshop imo

I own both but use gimp2 all the time

actually Zarquon if you have tables that you want changed

and you are lost on how to do it pm me and give me instructions

on which tables and how you want them redone

and I will help you with them as well as do a small demo

on how to redo a table image using GIMP

I Made this demo using Gimp two years ago

and while it mainly deals with making plastics

it does show how to redo images too

http://www.speedyshare.com/wmbVf/GimpTutorial.zip

Aurich, that Playfield looks superduper ! Any chance of releasing just more than that if you already have done some ? Only the pics themselves, not the vpt .. should be no problem with the original authors of the illegal recreation. :)

I don't have anything else handy at the moment, but I'm happy to share if I do. There are some things I'd definitely like to fix if I have a chance, the plan would be to offer anything I do back to the original table authors if they wanted it.

• Content Provider
actually Zarquon if you have tables that you want changed

and you are lost on how to do it pm me and give me instructions

on which tables and how you want them redone

and I will help you with them as well as do a small demo

on how to redo a table image using GIMP

I Made this demo using Gimp two years ago

and while it mainly deals with making plastics

it does show how to redo images too

http://www.speedyshare.com/wmbVf/GimpTutorial.zip

Thanks for the offer but the two links you supplied will be more than I need for now.

Thanks again.

All my pins are open for modding

just keep in mind that I still want the credit for building the original

as to redoing the play fields anyone who wants one done just ask or post it

and I'll redo it in gimp for ya'     I can also do night time versions of pf's and plastics

the B2S thing i am still learning but hopefully soon

I will be able to use that too for either pf's of backglasses

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I have Cactus Jack's in fs. I forgot if I got it here, or at the "other" site. (Not on my site). If you're into old em's, check out my place. I have a friend who loves making the old em's. He gives me a backglass, and I make cabinet versions out of them. Here's an example.

post-4-0-62824300-1386754784_thumb.png

post-4-0-06629000-1386754807_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

It doesn't matter if it's em or not. Reels can be used for images as well as score in building a table. Pacdude used reel images on bumpers, making them hard to rotate.

Edit: Just checked it out, and it has reels in it. Can't do it. If it was 1 reel you could rebuild the object with walls or ramps, but he's got a lot in there.

Archived