Top 100 Tables Need Fs Versions

bent98

• Content Provider

Here are some really fun tables that wouldbe nice to have FS versions.

Junk Yard (High Quailty)

Pinball Magic
King Pin
Last Action Hero
Light Camera Action
Safe Cracker
Championship Pub
Whirlwind
No Good Gofers (Higher Quality)
Batman Forever
Popeye

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is often to get better ressources. Many authors know what tables are missing. They are requested over and over again.

Pinball Magic, Batman Forever and Popeye are works in progress.

I think the Whirlwind and Junk Yard FS we have are fine. There are other tables that need updating much more urgently.

Last Action Hero and Safe Cracker: you can make yourself a FS version.

• Content Provider

What tables did you have in mind? Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion and I assume that’s the whole point of this section. I myself prefer quality over quantity. Sure you can just take existing low res tables and just convert them to FS. I’ve seen a barrage of mediapacks floating around with tables that look like dog throw up on a FS cab.To me, I would rather install 80 high end – good physics, graphics, and gameplay vs 500 mediocre tables on my cab.

• Content Provider

I think it's a good idea to list these tables.  Gives you a sense of what tables still need to be worked on.  Also, if someone owns a machine on this list, they might feel inclined to help contribute.

An idea along the same lines would be to see if we can get some assistance from the guys on pinside or some other pinball forums.  These guys have all of these machines, and if we ask nicely enough, maybe they'll do some scanning for us, or at least take some HD pictures.

I'm way in the quality over quantity camp. It would be great to fill out the Pinside top 100, but I'm also into taking some of the great tables that we already have and polishing them up a bit. I know that I personally go in and add higher quality graphics to tables I download (I don't share them since I don't have permission). Like the blown out playfield graphics on the daytime version of Twilight Zone for instance. It bothered me that the skin tones on the people were washed out to white and the shading on the rocket was gone, etc, so I found a playfield photo and manipulated it to match up to the existing graphic so I could mask in higher quality areas over the spots that weren't interactive (so I left all the inserts to make sure nothing looked off when they switched on for instance).

I wouldn't ever upload someone's modded table, but is it a breach of ettiquite to upload a new playfield jpg that people could swap in themselves?

Somewhat related, it seems that it would be pretty safe at this point for FS tables to standardize on 1080p graphics, it seems like just about every cab built uses that for the playfield. That would help a ton. Sometimes I see these huge playfield scans, and then realize that they're being shrunk down to 1024 pixels (or worse, horribly jpeg compressed in a misguided attempt to cut down on file size of an upload or something).

I don't mean to dump on anyone's hard work, at all, just observing. I'm trying to put my money where my mouth is, starting with the new B2S Scared Stiff backglass.

• Content Provider

We are all trying to accomplish the same goal.  An awesome pinball emulator that we can play all of our favorite pinball tables on.  If we don't push each other to strive for greater, we won't ever get there.  The Austin Powers example Bent provided, IMO doesn't look very good, and I'm sure it could be improved.  It was probably awesome several years ago, but Doom was awesome when it first came out too.

I don't see a problem having a list of tables that haven't been done, or could use a nice cosmetic upgrade.

I think we need a better list of good resources that are available to everyone in the community.

Every now and then I can see in some topic that there are really great high resolution playfields in the community but those are not in the download section. They may have been shared with authors at some point but then those are just forgotten and that's a shame.  For example Street Fighter 2 had a really low resolution version available and I only found the new highres redraw of the playfield by accident in one thread.  I would think that there are more similar cases to be found.

I would like to give a shot at few tables myself if better resources were available (for example Last Action Hero, Austin Powers...) but at the moment it's quite hard to know if resources might be available for a specific table or not. 

Yeah... I know. But it would be nicer if the resources were in one place to browse. If I find something I like -> I could give it a try on my own without specific requests. It might turn into something or not. And that's why I don't want anyone to do any additional work for my resources. At least in the beginning.

But that might just be me :) 

Anyway... this might be a good thread to share if anyone has resources for any of these tables.

I don't think anyone suggested that any graphics would be used without permission or credit. Or that updated/modded tables would be released without proper permissions from the original authors. Normal guidelines should be followed of course.

My point was only that if all resources were more easily available then it would be much easier to get started/inspired to create something new. For example the tables mentioned in this topic.

IMO even swapping out a play field for a better one

should require permission from the original table builder

I know if I spent weeks doing a play field

only to have someone else swap it out without my permission I'd be a tad peeved!

I assume you're speaking of someone swapping the playfield and then releasing the table back out with the change? No one has done that or is talking about that that I'm aware of. I sure wouldn't. I'm not going to ask someone's permission to modify my own for my personal use though. And frankly I wouldn't ask permission before posting up a jpg of my own playfield for someone else to do a mod with themselves if they wanted.

• Content Provider
IMO even swapping out a play field for a better one

should require permission from the original table builder

I know if I spent weeks doing a play field

only to have someone else swap it out without my permission I'd be a tad peeved!

I think we both agree that table author's should have the right to control how their content is used / modified / distributed and in the case you cite the author should have a say into weather the table is modified with a improved playfield.

That said, I guess it is my development background and the way I see things is that tables should be developed in a more open source way. I think the community would greatly benefit and we would see more tables released in a timely fashion, and we would also see a increase in the quality of the tables.  As new features in the software appear tables could be updated and improved to take advantage of said new technologies by many people and not have to wait for the original authors to go back to tables they have long forgotten.

In short I wish all tables were released under a modified GNU GPL model or more specifically under a Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license as long as credit is given to those providing assets be it graphics or code. Modification should be encouraged as long as it is improving the end product.

here are my top 4

Jungle Lord

Evil Kneivel

Defender

Millionaire laser tech I managed to rotate and scale and position no problem!

I know also how to import and export graphics due to a old ati card i had that wouldn't render bitmaps.

I can' tfigure out how to move EM reels/ DMD to the backgound to convert Jungle and defender, Evil only the flippers move. do I need to learn how to edit LEDS in the script? I right click move to back ground nothing happens. I guees i'll try move things to the forground next try! you can't delete lights, they are in the script.

maybe if I delete them they will show up red in the script so I will know where they are! I guess I  will learn someday!

Pharaoh has been done same time period why not Jungle Lord also!

Ya and Defender probably the greatest arcade game ever made and we don't even have a full screen of the actual pinball machine, Its hard to believe! I guess everyone has their own opinions! Wish I knew how to make one!

• Content Provider

I'm way in the quality over quantity camp. It would be great to fill out the Pinside top 100, but I'm also into taking some of the great tables that we already have and polishing them up a bit. I know that I personally go in and add higher quality graphics to tables I download (I don't share them since I don't have permission). Like the blown out playfield graphics on the daytime version of Twilight Zone for instance. It bothered me that the skin tones on the people were washed out to white and the shading on the rocket was gone, etc, so I found a playfield photo and manipulated it to match up to the existing graphic so I could mask in higher quality areas over the spots that weren't interactive (so I left all the inserts to make sure nothing looked off when they switched on for instance).

I wouldn't ever upload someone's modded table, but is it a breach of ettiquite to upload a new playfield jpg that people could swap in themselves?

No, you can release the of or plastic images and then user can important them. Please do.

Archived