Game Of Thrones - In Vp10 Sometime In 2017 :)

paulohotline

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

the dmd is not the problem, from what i understood, spike is like a os like linux which boots at the start of the the cab, like woz, we need to emulate that os, with that game to make it run on our pcs, somebody correct me if i'm wrong, and good luck, but never say never :)

• Content Provider

It may be able to run natively but we'd have to emulate it. Maybe if you can figure out how to load the SPIKE system on a RPi, we could use it as a hardware plugin and use that as the COM input to VP. Not impossible but.... really hard! It would be easier to link the SPIKE board up to the PC by itself. I don't know if the hardware exists to make that happen.

Sure it could be done in UltraDMD, if we could see the actual game code, I don't know if this is possible? and convert it to VB like AMH ... ugh that sounds impossible nevermind

What I'm saying is it's probably not going to happen. Cool looking game though, this and KISS should save them from whatever the hell Mustang was. WD seems to be doing well, too

This article was interesting - http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/09/08/game-of-thrones-pinball-machine-first-images-details-and-release-window

"Game of Thrones pinball will not be available in digital form at launch, but Dankberg says they are working on digitizing Stern games from the past and present with FarSight Studios. The ultimate goal is to one day co-release a digital and physical version of a pinball machine."

I don't believe this will happen anytime soon! Stern has been saying this for years!

I don't believe a co-release same day release of a Stern pin will ever be possible or advisable considering the way Stern put the game code on the back-burner. A same day digital version would make the code short-comings even more unbearable to pinheads.

On that note, FarSight has been dragging their butt on getting cabinet support into their product, they have brought working betas to expo and talk about it on their forum as "coming soon". Reality is, there are not enough cabinet owners that would justify the cost to their bean counters to develop this feature. Too bad because I would have no problem paying $15-$30 bucks per licensed game if it meant I could have it the same day the physical pin was released.

• Content Provider

I think you're looking at it a bit pessimistically - it's in Stern's best financial interests to get as many people playing their game and paying for it as quickly as possible. They don't release games thinking their code is "incomplete" just that they want to work on it more. It's a community opinion that Stern intentionally releases incomplete code... it's nothing nefarious or intentional on Stern's part, it's just simply not possible to code a game that thoroughly, that quickly. ZEN games aren't that deep. People just expect a lot from a physical game.

I also think Stern would rather they didn't release a "cabinet" version, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Stern themselves that axed the project. That is when it begins to eat into their game sales. 

What you have to be worried about is websites like this, if/when Stern does start doing it. You'll get the "VP version plays better" stuff and they'll start sending their lawyers. Right now, we're not stepping on their toes financially. That could soon change.

I've been saying this over at the TPA forum: I just can't see how cab support would negatively influence sterns cab sales. It's like Ferrari complaining that need for speed plus a wheel controller is impacting their sales.

It's just a different market / target audience.

I could never afford a real cab, and real pinheads won't ever be happy with a digital version.

It's opening a new market for them or at least free advertising.

I wouldn't even care about pinball anymore and had it long forgotten if it weren't for digital versions.

• Content Provider

"Game of Thrones pinball will not be available in digital form at launch, but Dankberg says they are working on digitizing Stern games from the past and present with FarSight Studios. The ultimate goal is to one day co-release a digital and physical version of a pinball machine."

This is exactly what I had talked to Gary about a couple years ago. He wasn't interested then. Crap.

FarSight is shitting the bed big time on this one. They should be bugging Stern to include them and the digital rights of the license when they negotiate the deal. We all know that the license has an expiry date and that FarSight will never be able to afford it on their own without asking help via a kickstarter (A BS practice IMO). They just have too many older PINS to choose from and will continue to milk their existing business model and keep "shining on" the pinheads with dreams of same day release nonsense. They now have an installed user base of millions across multiple platforms, they need to get off their lazy butts and negotiate with old man Stern and work out a deal. Give Stern 30% of your digital sales, just do it you bunch of pussies :)

I read in Pinball magazine, that when a digital license expires, FarSight will either have to renew it or stop offering the PIN for sale via their service. However once you bought it, it yours to keep and you do not lose the ability to play it. Again, IMO these guys are blowing a big opportunity to piggy back off Sterns hard work of securing these primo licenses. I need to work for these bosos to get some shit done :)

• Content Provider

Actually my idea was for Stern to make their own cabs for operators. They could get a license like Paul has for VP, and they already own all the rights to their own stuff. Operators like my dad would be able to install a coin op cab in a location. Many people would enjoy playing the old forgotten Stern tables, so the cabs would make money. The operators wouldn't have to change the game out because of the multiple games in one machine. The authors could get a cut too, for making a table that hasn't been done, or buying a "done" version. Gary agreed it was a sound idea, but he didn't think digital pinball would measure up enough for people to want to play it. He didn't think vp was "good enough". However this was a few years ago, and we all know how far vp has come since then. One thing you have to know about him is he IS a businessman. Good/bad/crazy, if he thinks he can make money from it, he'll try it.

I'm too working on world domination... Won't happen anytime soon.

Not before me. :Pdiamonds-are-forever-blofeld.jpg

However once you bought it, it yours to keep and you do not lose the ability to play it.

This is not entirely true. With Steam and DRM at any point if Farsight needs to remove a table for whatever reason they can do, so push down the update and it is forever removed from your install never to be played again. They could shutdown the entire application if they wanted to. Of course there are always ways to circumvent this but that's besides the point.

Archived