Addressable Rgb's

randr

If you recall i did my logo on matrix with 30/meter leds here is video at 144/meter same logo

total matrix leds is 81 per row x 9 rows total in matrix is 729

plus sides of cab are 151 each side for total of 1031 leds addressable

• Content Provider

that's just crazy dude, what ar ewe gonna do with these 5 flashers now :(:D

i have less space than you in my cab, don't know how many lines of rgb i can put to replace the flashers, i wil think about it, when i replace my ledwiz with pacled

• Content Provider

no, but what is scares me the most is to redo all 600 configs for these strips, first try with a few tables to experiment the possibilities, acquire experience and improve technics, and once we have enough experience, start to do all tables, that's how i would see this

it took me 2 years to have enough experience to say i can take one table now and not going back to it anymore, with the flashers and so on, so we'll see if i ever go that way, but it's not gonna be soon i think

That sounds like a lot of work,but how about making a tutorial so more people can contribute if they want to or just so people can modify their tables. I don't know how you do the table configuration or how much work is involved so I'm just sharing my thoughts.

• Content Provider

A few remarks:

• ;) Randr is insane (even more than I am) :wub::D
  • For a start we can convert the classical flasher configs into strip configs for the back of the playfield. By reusing the data of the lauch button lamp it is also possible automatically create some effects for the shooter lane. I already got a script which can do that. Unfortunately the script is kind of messy, so I might have to redo parts of the script.
    However more more advanced effects like the ones you see for TZ in Randrs video, manual configs are the only way to go.
  • If someone is willing to compile a file with a bit of information on a bunch of tables, it would be possible to create even more more effects using scripts. Possible candidates would be the in- and outlanes, bumpers, rollover lights and scoops. I'm happy to provide some more info on the required data if someone is willing to help.
  • Randr is using a lot of leds in his setup. Just keep in mind that the number of leds has a impact on the max possible refresh frequency for the leds. Data frequncy for the strips is 800khz, each led needs 24 bits which have to be sent to the strip and some extra time is required after the transsmisson of the data to the strip before the strip displays the data. In addition the data also has to be sent from the computer to the led strip controller.
    Some work to speed up data transfer from the computer to the controller is in progress (dont know yet how much this will help). On the other hand there is no way to go beyond the 800khz frequency of the strips.

• Content Provider

I never did a proper measurement of the update frequencies in relation to the number of leds. Long time ago I did a few calculations and I think that I got to a 30hz update frequency with about 300leds (not sure anymore if I remember correctly).

The fact that the strips really need a lot of data is the main reason for the controller to use a usb interface chip whioch allows for paralell connection to the cpu generating the data stream for the leds. Like that 400-500kbytes per second can be transfered to the controller (Did some measurement for that, but also this was long ago, so I'm not sure anymore about the exact numbers). But as I wrote in the last post, there are some experiments going on with the goal to achieve even higher data troughput by packing the data.

Swisslizard the effects are great! If you help me get the script setup I will do configs. I already added configs to config too up to H's for basic effects, but really want to make for example in Congo video the 5 bar replacement the shapes are full squares and want to make them smaller circles like 5 bar so less led's lit. Email me when you have time

• Content Provider

we can play with the intensity of the leds in the configtool so it can be more or less bright than flashers :)

i can help to inject the converted 5 flashers to rgb pf in the db directly if you can run a script to a certain ini file, i would like to test it on our beta configtool first to test, pm me randr and swisslizard ;)

Hi everyone  :)

I come from french forum (arngrim will recognise me ;) ) and, as already said in vp forum, am very exited about those leds...

I got a very little skill in programmation but i would be very interrested helping you improve the system.

I'm planning building a cab that will incorporate neopixels and already got a test config.

So.. if I can help you one way or another, I'm in ;)

Here is my thinking on this.

Emulate 5 small round flashers with matrix this should have near perfect result with 144/meter but with 60/meter will still be great! So for basic configs will "look" no different then actual 5 flashers but we will have option to add many more effects within the matrix. I have spent a day trying to convert areas to circles and is proving to be a large task so hoping swisslizard can provide a simple way of doing this. Will hold off on configs until tom can take a look. Thanks guys

Got some updates...

With area of 23 x 3 1/4 I have made 3 different matrix with the 3 available strips 30/meter, 60/meter and 144/meter.

@30/meter effect works but honestly to much is lost as seen in my very first test videos. With 30/meter and size of my area matrix was 17 led's across with 8 rows so matrix was 136 led's and worked ok.

@144/meter effect is best it can be but expensive! With 144/meter and size of my area matrix was 81 led's across with 9 rows so matrix was 729 led's and works amazing! The best you can do!

@60/meter effect works fine. "Affordable" with 60/meter and size of my area matrix was 34 led's across with 8 rows so matrix was 272 led's and effect is fine.

Below are photos of prototype matrix's I applied to copper plate and just soldiered in one direction(strips are directional)

Top matrix is 60/meter

Below that is 30/meter

post-1835-0-28818600-1440946470_thumb.jpg

Below is what I'm going to personally use 144/meter

post-1835-0-70495200-1440946511_thumb.jpg

Again these are built very quickly and just for testing. I will also add in front of the matrix is 5% tinted(black limo tint) plexi and looks great! All you see is smooth black glass until matrix is lit.

Hope this helps people get a better idea of what is going on here.

Copper I had laying around. Aluminum works too. I just used copper as "heat sink" was laying around in shop. Honestly you could probably use plexi to mount strips to as in my 30/meter test have yet see any real heat generated even with 144/meter but a heat sink is good insurance either way and makes for a good mounting surface

I will up pics of 60/meter details of wiring for you guys soon. Wiring it now...

if we can make circles like flashers i am in :)

so we could make also cross, triangle, square, small logos, words like jackpot, you loose, won a beer? :)

YES! anything is possible! thats what makes this so neat. yes it can look just like 5 flasher bar...but then can be so much more! anything can be displayed on matrix. 

O.k. here is detail of 60/meter matrix wiring. again this was made real quick 30min total soldier time is all so it can be made much cleaner but this is testing. connectors are male and femal(in and out) standard addressable led strip stuff. see photo detail

post-1835-0-84589200-1440958074_thumb.png

• Content Provider

so we could just call a circle image and we can put it wherever we want and enlarge or minimize like we want?

now i want these symbols replacing the circles of the flashers in met table :)

ahegy7az.jpg