Local Pinball Tournament Today! Wish Me Luck Boys!

paulohotline

Hey guys, a local pinhead is having a tournament at his man cave today. We are playing the pin-golf format where you have a specific objective to achieve on each pin in the least amount of balls. The top 5 pinheads with the lowest score go into a play-off round with different, I would guess more difficult objectives. I have to tell you guys that having the VirtuaPin has allowed me to practice and understand the rules so I don't go in blind. This will be the first time I play a real William Indiana Jones, Apollo 13 etc. Should be a blast, I will post some photos here tomorrow sometime.

And no, the wife is not going, she unfortunately is not a pinhead :( booooo!

Just got the list of games that will be used in Pinball Golf tonight:

Indiana Jones (never played) Goal: Start 2 modes

Funhouse Goal: Put Rudy to Sleep

Whitewater (never played) Goal : Start any Multi-Ball

Attack From Mars Goal : Destroy 2 Saucers

Creature : Activate KISS mode (got a hole in one on this one)

Fathom (never played) Goal: Score 300,000

Comet (never played) Goal: Hit cycle ramp and hit any hole (got a hole in one on this one)

Black Hole: Goal: Score 150,000

Space Shuttle: (never played) Goal: Score 600,000

Hey we had a total of 11 pinheads show up on this cold Winnipeg night with temps dipping to -24c. Tourney started at 7:30 after we had some time to warm up on the pins, get familiar with the goals and eat some pizza. The top 5 with the lowest score would move into the playoff round. If you got an extra ball while playing it would not count against your shot total. So for example if you got 400k on your first ball in Space Shuttle and got an extra ball while playing and it got you the goal of 600k, it would be a 1 on the scoresheet. If you could not hit the goal in 3 balls your score would be an automatic 4 for that machine. We had a total of 9 PIns in the tourney so the worst score you could get was 36.

Unfortunately I was unable to make the cut-off at 25, I scored a 28! The winner of the tourney scored an impressive 8 in the play-off round on 6 Pins. The rules were the same for the final round except with the reduction to 6 pins from 9. Second place scored 13 with 3rd coming in at 15. Since 2 guys came in at 15 they had to have a sudden death match were highest score won. All 6 pins names were place in a hat and Space Shuttle was drawn. The winner of 3rd place scored 1.9MIL. Once prizes were given out, we resumed just playing pinball and BSing until 1am or so. Good time had by all.

Note. I have added the goals for each of the 9 pins in the tourney in the post above. Marcel no longer had Apollo 13 and replaced it with Space Shuttle.

One stand out from the collection was the Williams Wide body Classic Indiana Jones. Wow, this example was in beautiful shape. Play field was mint, game play was fast and furious, call outs were awesome. On the VP PM5 version the start mode shot is pretty easy to make, not so on the real pin. I am seriously gonna start hunting down a nice example of this pin in Canada. The rules are deep and the theme is a no-brainer. What a fantastic pinball game, they should reissue this bad boy, it would sell out no problem.

Hey Stef, agreed, those goals are pretty easy, and in warm up, with no pressure, I was kicking ass, scored 225Mil on ball 1 on Indy no problem. Rudy, hit any switch consistently and you will get to midnight to tuck him in easy. However, when the tourney starts, and everything you do is being scrutinized by your partner and the heat is on... You tighten up, cannot make a shot to save your life. It's what separates regular golf players from Tiger Woods... He thrives under the heat of pressure and live competition. I think you would have to play competively for years to be that relaxed. Still fun though.

Archived