Downloads - Discussion

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Ok, back on the topic of the downloads area.  I really need to focus and get the downloads section sorted and figured out.  

First sections for discussion are Visual Pinball and Future Pinball.

Visual Pinball - Install and Support Files

Visual Pinball Tables - Pincab Tables (FS) - Do we need to differentiate between Originals, Re-Creations, Mods, etc?

> Visual Pinball Tables - Originals

> Visual Pinball Tables - Re-Creations

> Visual Pinball Tables - Modifications

Visual Pinball Tables - Desktop Tables (DT)  - Do we need to separate 4:3 and Widescreen? Do we need to differentiate between Originals, Re-Creations, Mods, etc?
> 4:3 Tables

> > Visual Pinball Tables - Originals

> > Visual Pinball Tables - Re-Creations

> > Visual Pinball Tables - Modifications

> Widescreen Tables

> > Visual Pinball Tables - Originals

> > Visual Pinball Tables - Re-Creations

> > Visual Pinball Tables - Modifications

Visual Pinball Tables - Bowlers, Shuffle Alley

Visual Pinball Tables - Misc. VP Creations 

-------------------------------------------------------

Future Pinball - Install and Support Files

Future Pinball Tables - Do we need to differentiate between Originals, Re-Creations, Mods, etc?

> Future Pinball Tables - Originals

> Future Pinball Tables - Re-Creations

> Future Pinball Tables - Modifications

• Content Provider

Personally I like the idea of seperating originals and recreations but not mods.  I think a mod of a recreation should just be under recreations and then noted as a mod in the description.  As far as desktop WS/4:3, I have no idea.  I'm making a desktop version of my tables but probably just WS.  I think we need a VP Pitch and Bat section just to encourage more pitch and bat recreations :)

my opinion:  less categories= better. makes it less confusing for new people.  Searcheable/sortable labels for mods/recreation/WS/4:3 would be nice however.

packing FS and desktop toghether would be less confusing and easier, but also more expensive for the one paying the site bill.............. so probably not.....

But maybe because of similarities between the two files compression might be awesome. With 7-zip, the mp3's in the two directories would compress down to 0kb because they are the same

• Administrators

I too think that the less categories the better, but it might be necessary to keep things organized.  I'm hoping that with having multiple site portals we can alleviate some of the confusion for new people.  Visual Pinball stuff goes on the Visual Pinball portal and Future Pinball stuff goes on the Future Pinball portal.  Since the site is new and does not contain much content, yet, it's hard to see exactly how this is going to work out right now. 

I think combining the 4:3/WS/FS downloads into a single compressed file is not really a good idea.  For one there are people that are on bandwidth caps and many people would never even touch the other file included in the download.  With some FS tables nearing 50mb already; I think taking on the size of the WS/4:3 table is a waste of both the user and our server bandwidth.  

I propose only to use 2 categories

- Future Pinball

- Visual Pinball
with all tables (originals and remakes) listed alphabetically.

All files (like tables, roms, backglasses, ressources, videos etc.) should be listed first by category and second by submission date inside this folder. Doing it that way, all files needed to run a table are directly in one folder.

If the files are tagged, alternative views are possible, e.g. all roms listed first alphabetically and second by submission date.

In VPF the search function (due to missing & structured naming conventions) is working improperly. If you want to download full sets for a specific tables you have to browse through various categories.

the problem again with tossing all of the 'needed' files to run any pin

is just who needs what? I don't need any FS stuff nor b2S things nor any pics of the pin!

all I need is the actual pin file itself and the vbs or rom if  needed

anything else is a waste of file space for me

so to glom them all together into one zip file is not needed...for me anyways

i would separate FS and desktop files for VP.

So three main categories:

VP desktop

VP FS

FP

and additional categories for roms, media packs, images (wheels, tables, backglass, flyers, incstructions, ...)

I would not separate mods from recreations cause it's the same.

Also i would not separate originals from recreations - because it is difficult to say - what is "Il buono, il bruto il cativo" from jpsalas, what is atack and revenge from mars - those are originals based on mods of recreations - all three categories in one :)

But there is one other thing i would maybe take care of - we all know how much work it is to download table and configure it

you have to:

- download table

- set layback if it is not there

- fix backglass objects that are off because of layback

- find all images

- set replay scores

- put F6 dipswitch scripts from ta### in table

- set number of balls and other f6 options
- change images on apron to match your number of balls and replay scores

... and so on 

it would be great to have tables that have all of this solved already and all files included

some options are saved to nvram - ok include nvram with your replay scores and remember to remove your high score

some options go to registry - ok include reg export that is necessary for your table to work out of the box (i'm not sure what options go to reg)

some tables need uvp - ok include uvp

or directb2s

and so on

this doesn't have to be done by author - it can be done by moderators, or some crew that will chew all new tables and fix them, any body could suggest a correction for some table, some error correction or some addition to make it more plug and play

I'm not even talking about media pack which can be here or separate but except media files there are still thousand things that we could include to make table plug and play

rom will be in separate file of course

media pack already has it's name - so i would call this - full table pack or FS table pack or whatever :)

FYI media pack can have some additional images that are shown by fplaunch only and not by hyperpin

for example fplaunch will show ALL jpg, png and swf images that contain table name in instruction cards directory

hyperpin will show only one swf

this means you can put any kind of instructions for playing the game, or replay score card from apron, or rules for tables with complicated game play

same goes for flyer directory - all images found there will be shown - not just one per directory.

I would call this extended media pack.

Also there is another option - not yet possible but will be in next releases - to have common instructions for ALL tables - so every table will have it's own instuctions - but also from every table you would be able to see these common instructions - like for example - few pages on setting replay levels on various flipper generations, or ball number, or sound level, ...

This would be called let's say Common media pack...

Yes originals could be separated. But where? They are usually desktops, but they can be every thing - desktop - full screen - and fp.

That would be three new categories - desktop originals, fs originals and fp originals.

• Content Provider

Didn't I read somewhere that uploaded files would/could be modded? What if desktop originals were modded to fs for everyone to enjoy? If you wanted to upload something it's public at that point. Maybe the author doesn't know fs/have a cab? Just an idea.

not really public cause i don't know which author would agree to release his stuff to public, but maybe limited permission to staff to allow only necessary modding to make table plug and play and fix some obvious errors

• Content Provider
not really public cause i don't know which author would agree to release his stuff to public, but maybe limited permission to staff to allow only necessary modding to make table plug and play and fix some obvious errors

i agree to this idea, with the full cooperation of the author as i know from experience, i have need help plenty of times in the past and i think it will help everyone learn a bit more so they never get the issue again.

Blur's proposal half a dozen posts up sounds good to be. Simple with just enough categories to make browsing intuitive.

You might also want to consider a separate 'directb2s' section of way of tagging them. Herweh's tool is on it's way and then the flood will begin :)

• Administrators

The first table download was submitted last night.  Now that we have had a real person, other than myself, upload a file I have been able to figure out how downloads on VPU are going to work.

Below is the file that was uploaded.  We have filled in additional data and created new fields.

post-2-0-95302300-1358725521_thumb.png

Are there any other fields you think we should have on uploaded tables?

Once you click the Download button you are taken to the file.  VPU admin will then add support files to the download so all the necessary files are in a single location for downloading.

post-2-0-13131100-1358725631_thumb.png

Right now "support" files include:

ROM

HyperPin Media Pack

B2S/UVP

Emumovies Preview Video Download

can we start uploading tables here then and must they be for cabs only?

All of mine are 4:3's but I would like a few to be here

(Wall-e, Sanatorium, Klingon vs Romulans, the Zizzle pins)

since these are the most popular of mine at vpf

and Wall-E is one of my best works IMO

I never understood why the roms were downloaded separately from the tables. They're typically pretty small, so it doesn't inflate the download that much.

Why not just include them with the table?

cause it's still illegal to do that hence the separate links to the roms

• Content Provider

Is there a way at the user level to be notified of new uploads? I'd love to have the latest, but having to check all the time is a pain. I know, I'm lazy.... Maybe there's a way to subscribe to the downloads board?

• Administrators

You can "Follow" a category.  Just go to whatever category you want and click the "Follow Category" button.  I'm not sure if the system PM's you when a new/updated file is uploaded or not though.

Archived