Downloads - Discussion

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My vote would be VP9 only, focusing on tables optimised for cabinet use. Then you'll really be drawing a line in the sand.

Not only that but you then show clear intent and can provide a site with a much cleaner structure.

Totally agree, this site should be all about going forward with things not going with or staying in the past.

• Content Provider

TADA! bobs virgin post

no bob, i'm even going to start releasing desktops here

it's just we need to move away from vp8, there is still plenty of places to get them as it is.

we need to move forward here IMHO by encouraging development in a friendly environment like i see on the hyperspin forums, and by having a network knowing what peoples skills are and who is ready to help out by the group feature we can all work together, in theory this should also mean people learn new techniques from other authors from these groups too.

in the end people will go where the good tables are, and if we manage to bring in more talented people to produce better tables then people will come.

• Content Provider

I honestly think we should package the fs and desktop tables together in one zip file.

I also agree we should only do vp9.

Reason for packaging them together is we will also grab the hyperspin arcade cabinet crowd who run the desktop tables on their arcade cabinets.

It will also make the download sections less confusing.

You could just have vpm section

An original section

And a bs2/uvp section

• Administrators

Ok, so VP9 only and going forward it is. I think that's the wise decision for this.

UW - I'm not sure about packaging fs and desktop together. Some FS tables have reached 50+mb in size. Combining the two would only make it be a larger file, However, we can combine the 4:3/WS versions on the same download page.

I think our trick for getting the HyperSpin crowd is being able to supply the artwork required. Wheel images, theme/background images and videos.

Do you really think that VPM needs to be separated from Originals?

• Content Provider

How about if i or someone else writes a standard options menu that authors can add to there tables.

It would allow for rom selection

To enable or disable bs2 or uvp as well

And to disable the menu at start

This would allow users to chose the rom they want

Disable the menu for frontend use

And enable or disable bs2/uvp if they are causing stutter or like me with my cocktail cab dont have a backglass monitor

• Administrators

Here is a test of how the downloads section is currently setup. As much as I want things to be different than VPF, there is just some necessary information that we need.

Test Download Section

I've got to find someone that's familiar with PHP/SQL and hopefully has some IPB experience. I want to change the main files page layout. Ultimately, I want each file to be under it's own heading. A heading for Table, ROM, Media Pack, UVP, B2S, etc. We could even go as far as putting both the desktop (4:3/WS) table as well as the FS tables under their own headings as well.

• Content Provider

i was thinking it could be cool to do three logos have 1 hyperspin , 1 hyperpin, 1 windows logo

and under each we can have files ready to go , under HS logo we can have a theme and table and maybe video included

under hyperpin we can have a media pack and table and xml info

under the windows logo have the normal desktop version .

just floating idea's :)

• 3 weeks later...

On a side issue with downloads, a major peeve I have is the unnecessary (IMO) size of most Preview Videos. Due to them being 1920x1080 they tend to bloat in size somewhat.

Aside from the affect this has on system performance when "browsing" in HyperPin, they take a ludicrous amount of time to download.

I use a compression program to reduce the file size and I managed to get most vids down to well under 10Mb each, but it would be nice if there was the option to download a compressed vid in the first place.

Is this a possibility?

Chris are you using the emumovies preview vids ?

Circo has made awesome vids, he has even demo a vid with game play and it worked excellent, and all vids are HQ with a small size

Yes I have all of Circo's awesome vids, the problem is there are lots that aren't available at Emumovies and they need to be downloaded from other locations and in general, none of them are compressed. It's not difficult to make them smaller, but it's far better IMO to make the compressed vids available for download as well as it would save the host a LOT of bandwidth.

Just my opinion.........

• Administrators

On a side issue with downloads, a major peeve I have is the unnecessary (IMO) size of most Preview Videos. Due to them being 1920x1080 they tend to bloat in size somewhat.

Aside from the affect this has on system performance when "browsing" in HyperPin, they take a ludicrous amount of time to download.

I use a compression program to reduce the file size and I managed to get most vids down to well under 10Mb each, but it would be nice if there was the option to download a compressed vid in the first place.

Is this a possibility?

Oz,

You might want to check out this new set.  http://vpuniverse.com/index.php/cabinet_cluster.html/_/articles/forum/emumovies-visual-pinball-fs-set-released-r15

Avg Size About 6MB at a higher resolution and better frame rates.

still not a good idea to pack any two tables together

as most of MY originals tend to run upwards of the 50 meg range

and to have two of them zipped together would make for a helluva huge file

as it is I only build in 4:3 and this site already seems biased against that type

yeah I know that Dazz built this site for the cab users but pinball is pinball

and I think we should have both types of pins here

cabs and if not 4:3 at least some WS's

just my opinion but why exclude any pin? 

the object is to save pins not exclude them

I can understand no vp8's as that program is kind of archaic now

but I still think the site can stand to have a 4:3 or WS area

• Administrators

!

What you are seeing right now is an incomplete site, aka BETA, that only a few people were supposed to have the URL to. 

I'm not really sure how many times I have to tell you that this site isn't built just for cab users, nor is it biased towards 4:3 or WS at all...

The reason why most talk right now is in regards to cabinet users is because I've only given the site URL to a select group of HyperPIN users and a select few others. Right now cabinet users make up the majority of the members of this site. 

How the hell, or better yet, WHY do you have 4:3 tables in upward of 50mb?  That's insane. The average FS table is between 15 to 25mb and that's with high resolution 2048x2048 images. 

mainly due to the music in them... my Dogtown wip is already topping 80 megs (four tunes)

and my most recent vp9 pin (klingons vs romulans) is somewhere near 70 megs (four songs)

granted my smallest pin is about 9 megs but that one was a real simple table to make (Peanuts vp9)

okay after checking most of my pins average around 20 megs

it's just my newer ones that are stuffed with tunes and they tend to top out at over 50 megs!

and even with those I try to save the tunes at the lowest possible setting in wavepad to save space

okay I will wait a bit for the rest of the 4:3 people to get here and I'll stop badgering you about it

I did not know until earlier today (from itchigo) that the site was still in beta test

Archived