24 Wip Freneticamnesic

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey the jet camo works really well!  I was scrolling back and forth wondering where the hell people were seeing a jet, then I finally spotted it. Now I wonder how I did not see it in the first place. Lol.

The table is coming along nicely, you're doing a great job!

• Content Provider

Status update: primitive drop targets! only a few more plastics left, still mostly unplayable. tonight: primitive posts, 

I'm doing some cool things with primitives on this table, that will likely become my standard method of building. A few things I have done here will be incorporated on a new version of Sharkey's Shootout I'll release in a couple weeks. I think these flippers are goddamn beautiful!

dhSO2CG.jpg

• Content Provider

60%
60%

More primitives, some fine tuning, messed around with making some primitive ramps but gave up on it, didn't think it looked like enough of an improvement over the VP ramps so I'll stick with these until I can fine tune my ramp building

It won't end up being this dark, I still need to add lighting so it will get brighter, don't worry :)

HfZPZGb.jpg

And a bonus, something I have been working on that is so dumb and subtle, but I love it - the bubble in the playfield level reacts to nudging

• Content Provider

I really like your wireform ramp.  Is it a model from FP?  That's one thing I really have a hard time with is the wire form ramps.  Hard to make them look realistic.  I've seen a couple people using primatives for it but have no clue how they are building them.

• Content Provider

I really like your wireform ramp.  Is it a model from FP?  That's one thing I really have a hard time with is the wire form ramps.  Hard to make them look realistic.  I've seen a couple people using primatives for it but have no clue how they are building them.

Yes that wire ramp is from the FP version of 24

I did a bit of experimenting with creating my own ramps (not wire yet, may be even easier) and think they should be relatively easy to do. At the very least, using this model in VP was very easy. The hard part, I think, is getting your dimensions accurate. I had to scale it a little funny to get it to line up, since the FP table and my table were built using different dimensions.

I used francisco666's base ramp to start and created a 3d model of the plastic ramps to scale, so I know that's easy - I just wasn't satisfied with the way the plastic ramps looked.

eW2he9P.jpg

VP built ramp on the left, 3d modeled ramp on the right

• Content Provider

I just did a wire ramp from scratch in FP and imported into VP - it's super easy. If you need help PM me and I can explain everything

There's a lot of info here http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=25843

And most of it you can ignore, the steps are really quite easy.

Export your VP blueprint

Translate your VP table size to FP units (kiwi says 2 VP units = 1mm in FP, but technically it doesn't matter, I never scale my ramps properly and have to adjust the scaling of the object in VP)

Import your VP blueprint to FP and use as your table image

Create ramp in FP like you would in VP

Add your objects, and the exciting things are what you can do to the transform points - these are the rings. In FP there's like 15 different ring types.

After you get the ramp you want in FP, save it as a table

Open Blender (free, fairly complicated but you only need a few pieces of info to make this work)

Install the MS3D importer plugin 

Install the FP importer plugin http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=25843

Import your .fpt table

Move things around in Blender if needed (I needed to move the end pieces to line up with the wire ramp, this is just moving it along the axis)

The lengthwise wire in FP ramps is imported as a curve while the rings are imported as meshes. Everything needs to be mesh, so select the curves and convert to> mesh from curve

Select your new mesh wires and go to edit mode > faces > triangulate faces (I have determined that all faces in VP need to be triangulated, otherwise you get strange texture issues)

Now select every object in your ramp and join it as one unit

Now you can export your wire ramp as an .obj - in the export options, make sure Write Normals and Triangulate Faces is checked, then export

Now you can import into VP! Easy. I use the Chrome-Silver texture but you can try different metal textures to get desired look.

Once I figure out why FP is not displaying my playfield image in the editor, I will do a video tutorial

Sounds like u are using the dlls from the 17x build of FP 2.5 instead of the 16x ones. The 178 are newer are more optimized but they also disable the image loading in the editor (hence the optimization). This assuming that you are in fact running the 2.5 build that came with updated dlls.

Once I figure out why FP is not displaying my playfield image in the editor, I will do a video tutorial

• Content Provider

Sounds like u are using the dlls from the 17x build of FP 2.5 instead of the 16x ones. The 178 are newer are more optimized but they also disable the image loading in the editor (hence the optimization). This assuming that you are in fact running the 2.5 build that came with updated dlls.

I figured it out, in the editor you can choose to load images in editor which appears to override the checkbox in the option bar on the right, and then I had to re-load the table

• Content Provider

Well I spent a long time working on GI this weekend, felt like sharing a video here

Please ignore the safehouse and suitcase movement, I'm still working on them

Still a long way to go - need to finish table lighting and then VISUALLY I should be complete, but gameplay needs to be fixed, and a few more switches.......ah it's overwhelming

looking nice so far.  One of the most difficult items to do seeems to be the spotlights (the lighting as well as the graphics themselves). I have yet to come across a table in which they look realistic.   (i personally would leave them out, and have the light magically appear from under the plastics....)

• Content Provider

looking nice so far.  One of the most difficult items to do seeems to be the spotlights (the lighting as well as the graphics themselves). I have yet to come across a table in which they look realistic.   (i personally would leave them out, and have the light magically appear from under the plastics....)

I'll release a wowter-mod with no fun GI :)

I personally enjoy the FOM tables and night mods...

There's various script options I can set up, you can say 1=full gi, 2=half gi, 3=no gi...  I'll see what I can do, but I can't make any promises. This is my second full build and it's basically from the ground up, adding GI options IS possible, but I have never done it before. I can learn, but it's not worth it to me if 400 people download the table and 3 people change the setting, you know? 

That being said, anyone is free to mod the table and upload a day-mod version if they want to.

Archived